Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Am i qualified Enough to become a tech/pilot

Am i qualified Enough to become a tech/pilot

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Am i qualified Enough to become a tech/pilot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    donegalengineer
    Participant

hi

Im a qualified 3rd class marine engineer

Im hydraulically and Electrically Minded, Got all my certificates for welding , refrigeration , machining , Sea survival and 5 day fire fighting also first aid course etc.

I was thinking of doing the 7 day pilot/tech course. Will any of these be a benefit to me in getting a job later on as a tech/pilot. Ive been a little put off reading other posts. I havnt a clue about this line of work but am really interested. Honest feedback appreciated

James McLauchlan
    Participant

With the greatest respect in the world, and I hope you do not take offence, but this question has been asked over and over in this forum. I know for you it’s the first time you have asked but people with inside knowledge are getting a little worn out responding to the same type of post over and over when the answer is still fundamentally the same.

I’ll have a quick go at offering some advice though. In times of industry need you have the kind of background and training that would be of interest to ROV operators and therefore would most likely succeed in gaining entry into the ROV game.

However, now is most definitely not the time of need so, if you have a regular job, stick with it for the time being.

Currently there is glut of personnel, especially ROV trainees touting so called ‘PTII tickets’ which in my opinion are not worth the paper they are printed on, as no doubt many have discovered when offering them to prospective employers.

Do not spend a penny on ROV courses at this moment in time.

For the future, keep tabs on the industry and if you see the price of oil climbing one year look to enter the industry about 12 months after that when the contract will start to be awarded as a result of the previous years higher earnings for the oil/gas field operators.

best regards
    James Mc

donegalengineer
    Participant

Thanks for your input. it might benefit me now to do the course but keep my job so all will be in place when a position does arise. I am living in the biggest port in europe and do not know any person with this ticket in my town.. At the moment oil and gas is being discovered of our coast and shell has agents and sites currently at work in our town. maybe i take my chances ……I DONT KNOW….

Pascobalbodeano
    Participant

Donegalengineer

I was a marine engineer with a class 2 before switching to the ROV industry. I can say it was the best thing I have ever done(in my case.)
    All of the skills I learned during my training as a cadet have come in handy.
    Last trip I had to use the lathe a couple of times and even the welder. So the skills do come in very handy. But you have to be sure this is what you want to do, and yes trainee positions are becoming thin on the ground at present. They have not disappeared but they are a bit sparse. Keep sending you c.v. around and stick in there if it is what you really want to do. As for the course I didn’t do one and it hasn’t done me any harm at all. If your good mechanincally and don’t go in with an "I know everything" attitude you should get on really well.

Good luck

Pascobal

deepseacon
    Participant

Go for your 2nd Engineer’s Ticket First

donegalengineer
    Participant

Cheers Buddy Thats sounds good a bit of a positive spin on things always make it that bit easier to decide.

cheers 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar