Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner An ROV Career!?

An ROV Career!?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner An ROV Career!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Wump
    Participant

Hello all, been reading the forums and the rest of the site for a few weeks now so i thought it high time I registered and introduced myself!

You have all probably heard this question a thousand times but I havnt found that much info in the FAQ’s or existing posts.

I am currently beginning a complete career change and I am very determined to get a position as an ROV pilot tech. However, I know this isnt going to be easy as I have no background in Elec/Eng/Hydraulics. I understand that these are usually a pre req for being taken on?

After a long conversation with a sparky I met a couple of months ago (who works on cable ships as an ROV pilot) I decided to go for it. He is currently working for Technip in the N sea. He seems to think that with my academic background (have a BSc in marine biology and an MRes in aquatic chemical ecology/immunogenetics) I would stand a half decent chance of getting a trainee position as the industry is apparently screaming out for ROV staff at the moment? Cant ee how just with my academ history that I would be employable, but he knows alot more than me about the industry obviously.

Had lots of different jobs in the past including joiner, bricky’s mate,plumbers mate, restaraunt manager, store manager, chef and until recently I was a medical rep for J&J, selling pharmaceuticals to docs and surgeons. Didnt really like the ass kissing involved so gave it up.

Have been considering the ROV course at the underwater centre at Fort William because I think I would like to demonstrate to any prospective employers that I am wiling to go the extra mile to get taken on. Thing is I’v been thinking alot (as one tends to do before spending nigh-on 10K!) about possibly short electronics/electrics courses at college etc but non in my area (East York’s) are taking on students at the moment until next sept! I dont really want to wait so long. Is the ROV training really woth it? Should I seek some sort of college course? I downloaded the free electrics/hydraulics courses from Siemens and the ‘free-ed’ website (Thankyou to whoever posted those links!!) to give me something to get my teeth into.

I was also thinking what about if I got my offshore medical and survival course out of the way, perhaps that, along with bags of enthusiasm, would be enough to get my foot in the door? Whatever the case I am definately motivated to do this as it seems the perfect job for me 😯

Hope this hasnt been too boring to read! Looking forward to reading your replies! Many thanks in advance ❗

Wump

Philip Pedlow
    Participant

Go with your last statement. Get your papers in order and then camp out on some ROV companies doorstep. I really dont think the course is worth it but I only speak from bad experiences with trainees. If you have an interest in electronics the do the online course but start looking for work now. The winter is going to slow things down a bit but next year will be nuts. It might take 6 months before you get a call but just keep trying. There will be a heap of trainees comming into the business next year so your timing is good.

Being keen (and cheap) will get you in the door but you will be working for guys younger than yourself (i’m guessing your mid 30’s). If you can handle that and have respect for their experience then you should do fine.

Good luck mate

Steve
    Participant

Good luck

Wump
    Participant

Thankyou for the feedback!

Filo, thats one thing in my favour and yes you would be right about mid thirties, I’m 32. Thats what most people keep telling me – just keep hassling the companies. Other common advice is don’t bother with agencies, this includes advice given to me by several companies I have approached too. What about yourself, how long have you been in the industry?

Absolutely no problem with learning from younger more experienced chaps! My friends age between 22 and 55+

MechTech, did some research and it seems like alot of companies like taking people on with a strong academic background so they can be trained from scratch, this suprprised me a little bit too! As the companies see it, having a sound academic background just demonstrates that you are capable of learning to a high level.

Appreciate your advice/opinion MechTech but I am pretty set on ROV pilot tech. What are the main differences between ROV and survey work?

I am basically waiting for my friend who’s already an ROV pilot tech to email me from his vessel. My academic background might mislead a little on face value, I much prefer working with my hands practically and love solving problems, these are my strongest assets so I know I will be a very good ROV pilot. The spatial awareness thing isnt an issue as I have above average hand-eye-coordination and have played several sports at national level too (sorry if this sounds arrogant, I am in a rush and don’t like mincing words).

Obviously the electronics/engineering side is where I am lacking but I dont see a problem in having to go to college for a further 2 years to study electronics/electrical engineering if necessary.

Hope to read your replies soon.

Many thanks

Wump

Steve
    Participant

Sure, go for it

Philip Pedlow
    Participant

Hello again

I started in the business about 17 years ago, 1989 to be exact, I was 21. I went from building them to going offshore and operating them. My disipline is electronics design. Hope that is of use to you.

Good luck

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Good luck on your job finding !
    By the way , Eye hand coordination aint spatial awareness.
    When you get behind the sticks you will find out what I mean

Wump
    Participant

Thanks for everyones feedback and support!

Guess thats that then. I need to go back to college and get my Elecytronics NVQ. Do you think this will be enough though!?

In other wards, I hope doing the course will be enough without companies asking for several years experience. If I need experience too then it’s probable that I might have to look at another career. I hope not but!?

Thanks in advance!

Wump

temp
    Participant

Wump

Have you thought about trying applying to the various organisations using ROV’s for scientific purposes? Your marine biology qualifications might help there, and it could be a possible route for you into ROV’s. Ok so the pay is probably significantly lower than the offshore industry, but you may be more suited to it?

Things are busy offshore now (and long may it continue), but who knows what the situation may be in the 2 years or so it takes you to get a qualification in electronic/electrical/mechanical engineering or whatever. Plus a college course by itself still only contains limited practical training, and you would no doubt be up against other trainee applicants with practical engineering training, experience and qualifications from industry or forces etc., who may also have experience of a similar environment.

How do you know that you would like the offshore life, and working as a technician/operator – more importantly how do you convince potential employers that is what you really want to do, after having quite a variety of jobs in the past?
    Good luck!

temp

Wump
    Participant

Hi temp

Don’t know of any organisations, not sure they use ROV’s. usually only for deep sea stuff whereby they would probably advertise for a very experienced pilot to do the job – I guess.

Yes its busy and your right who knows what business will be like in 2 years, unfortuanately only certain things are under my control, no good worrying about things that are not.

I’m sure I would enjoy the offshore life, I tend to know my own mind very well and Like nothing more than a challenge! Very good point about work history, thats the easy bit though. I tend to be very good at persuading people.

Thankyou for the feedback temp!

rovnumpty
    Participant

wump.

don’t pay any attention to mechtech.

If you have the finances available to do a course at fort bill, and get your medical and survival, then go for it.

As you’ll probably read, the course isn’t held in any great esteem in the industry. and I have my doubts you’ll learn anything useful. But it will show prospective employers that you’re willing to learn and are keen to get a start (especially paying for it yourself – most of their business is guys coming out of the forces and getting it paid for them). DON’T expect anything else from it though.

As temp said, a lot of academic places are now using eyeball rovs. and not just for the deep stuff. Most of them have realised that video footage of anything they do may be profitable by seeling to discovery channel etc. Just something else to consider as a way in to the industry.

As for the taking on academic people for training, yep most of the companies now do just that. If you haven’t already tried, ask them about graduate recruitment. There will probably be some raised eyebrows, but anything is worth a try.

As to why the companies are taking on academics – the answer is that is what HR people are trained to do. Young graduates are deemed better value to company than old tradesmen. More years of service out of them and less likely to question/argue about everything.

good luck

Wump
    Participant

Hi rovnumpty!

Unfortuanately I dont have the financial means to do the ROV course at fort william, although I have seen a ten day course for around 2k but they want elec experience.

Getting my med and survival wont be a problem, I would just first like to make sure that ehre are people out there that are going to hire me before I spend the cash.

Can’t seem to find companies that are looking for eyeball pilots! To be honest I’m not sure where to look, although I did find one vacancy advertising for just this and they are asking for any level of experience.

Going to give them a call later today and will probably call a cuple more companies to ask them if they would take me on. If not then I can ask them why and would this change if I had a current survival cert and med, etc. Will post to let you know what happened.

Thanks for the encouragement!

rovnumpty
    Participant

wump

If no-one has told you already, get the Aberdeen Press & Journal on a friday. That’s when all the Oil related companies advertise their latest vacancies. They also have a website – http://www.thisisnorthscotland.com – but not all the vacancies are advertised on the website.

other than that, google ‘rov jobs’ and just start trawling through.

Wump
    Participant

Hi again rovnumpty!

Thanks very much for the heads up!

Wump

Anonymous

Ive only been in the industry myself for about a year and a half and being from a technical backround i found it pretty easy to get a place, but i wouldnt say you needed to be an electrnics tech or a mech tech to do well as an ROV tech, being switched on and wiling to learn is what its all about……as long as you have a basic understanding of systems ect you will have no drama.

There are so many grumpy B#@&%#)s who wont give trainees a fair go, i guess some guys are just born on the sticks!!!!!! fair enough there are some chancers out there but everone has to learn somehow……just a thought guys.

😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar