Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Any chance for me as a trainee?

Any chance for me as a trainee?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Any chance for me as a trainee?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    gr8
    Participant

No, I am already at the 6th question…..
    Is it normal here? You want to get some informations, tell your own feeling about something and what? Of course better is laughing than correct bad understanding the problem ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Ok, I’ve got answer for my first post, so somebody can close this topic.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Gr8 she ating,

It was a joke, a bit under-hand, and un-abridged…

sedco
    Participant

OK gr8, spill the beans, who did you get a job with?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

To all you newbie lads / lasses,

Don’t expect to be on the big $$$$ from the start BUT, DO NOT – I repeat – DO NOT work for US $100.00 (or for that matter) GBP100.00 per day. You will have a very – I repeat – very difficult time offshore. We make sure of this…. You see, it’s ALL simple economics – you down grade the pay – you get down-graded or thrown off the vessel… We don’t want to hear about your bleedin’ money woes… It’s your own fault / doing. DO NOT – I repeat – DO NOT take your personal onshore problems offshore and whinge to us older grumpy ROV folks. There are plenty of activities to drown out your whingin’ such as artistic needle gun work!! Or chipping hammer excersizes! Gads! The possibilities are endless!

BTW – this is not – I repeat – not a joke (kinda over a few heads me last one was wannit’??)

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I would like to ask if I have any chance to start work as a trainee ROV pilot/technician…?

I am looking for any answer..

Well you asked the question, received answers and then disagreed with anything that didn’t suit. I would suggest that no matter what was said here you have already made your mind up and have therefore wasted the time of anyone with experience, who took that experience into account and bothered to reply.

Anonymous

Hi
    I will be looking for a job soon, if somebody have a job for me, i am ready soon, and i am cheap, but sorry, donโ€™t do WA, too old for that sh!t

Kiwitech
    Participant

Hey I’m looking to get back into the ROV industry again but unfortunately
    I don’t work for free, one of my old supervisors drummed the mantra "must get a good rate" into me I’m afraid. I’m fussy about where I want to work and definitely have the technical background covered, 20 years as an electronics tech including some ROV / Survey
    No hope for me ๐Ÿ˜€

kevnewby
    Participant

Guys,

Can someone shed some light please, I left the RAF recently after 7 years been a telecommunications technician. After training as an electrical technician. SInce leaving I am tacking an Electrical and Electronic Engineering HNC, tackling been the operative word!!!!

I am looking to get int o the ROV industry as an ROV pilot, I hopfully am booking my medical and survival done by the end of feb.

Do I have a good ground for future ROV employment??
    Would I be looked at in todays climate??

As there does appear to be a lot of newguys on here looking for work.
    I am looking into doing the ROV pilot course at Fort William to tip the scale in my favour. Or would this be a waste of money? ๐Ÿ™

Ray Shields
    Participant

As there does appear to be a lot of newguys on here looking for work.
    I am looking into doing the ROV pilot course at Fort William to tip the scale in my favour. Or would this be a waste of money? ๐Ÿ™

Read through the forum, especially the Rookies section and any thread that mentions Training Schools.

I believe the majority of people on here would say NO it is a waste of your money. If you have the appropriate background (which by the sounds of it you do), doing that course would not make that much of a difference. The majority of companies run their own training, some even sending them to Fort William. So you would be wasting your money doing a course that you would get for free (allbeit you are usually tied into paying some of the training costs back if you leave in teh first 2 years)

As to whether having the course would get you a job, again I think the majority on here would say not really. It is the technical background they are looking for. At very least try and put yourself forward for a job as a Trainee before doing a training school course.

And you do need to try hard these days as theer are so many others out there trying the same thing.

Wade Berglund
    Participant

To Gr8

You stated that the Seaeye Falcon was not complicated. That statement speaks for itself. The great thing about the Seaeye Falcon, is that it is great at teaching a person the basics. It will be excellent in training you the scanning of instruments, understanding and doing annotation, video dubbing, using the sonar, following directions from not just your supervisor but the client as well. Also it gets you into a routine, doing pre-dive checks, launching procedures, voice comms, recovery and post dive checks. Followed by the most important (when given a chance) maintenance!

The thing is is that the Seaeye Falcon has no hydraulics, soooo with you having no experience this is very important to get a background in and a very strong understanding of not just basics, but safety, maintenance, troubleshooting and fittings!

Yes, jokes are made on this forum, and people that are best suited for offshore work have "thick skin" and can take a good natured ribbing. It is called having the right attitude, it usually makes or breaks a person when offshore. Also any advice given should be humbly accepted and put under you hat to be used at a later date.

I wish you luck, but as you said before you were trained as a deck hand, and had "NO’ mechanical/Electrical/Electronics experience, and no HNC or degree’s as a technician in those fields.

It took me nearly 8 months before getting a foot in the door in the ROV industry with over 24 yrs experience in Marine electronics in the Navy.

You are luckier than most. Don’t lie, be honest, and learn! If you end up offshore with minimal experience and manage to lie your way onto a job…you wont last long.

Sorry to everyone else about the rant!

kevnewby
    Participant

rayshields,

Thanks for answering my question, I do know a couple of lads hit the ground running after doing the course at Fort William, but I think I am gonna get the Offshore & med done then go knocking doors and see what the scope is. Put myself out there so to speak!!!

lightbob
    Participant

I found your comments very useful and as one of the many seeking a position in the ROV world I will bare them in mind whilst on the long search.
    Despite having many a โ€œhot leadโ€ from a good mate who is in the oil Industry and has been for along time, I have still had no luck.
    On reading some of the comments on this forum from wannabes, it all seems like stary eyed big bucks there looking for.
    I just want a good job amongst good people in a goog company.
    The hunt goes on.

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Hello mate

The comment that Rayshields just said hits the "nail on the head". Take time to read all of the FAQ’s and go over all of the Rookie section. Nearly all of the questions that you want to ask have already been answered (again, and again and again!) When I first joined this forum it took me 5 months before I opened my gob and asked any questions.

That question was "How do I get my foot in the door?" As it happened a few guys realized that I was a proper technician, trained on submarines and sailed with both the RN and Canadian Navy, and sent me some leads. This forum is a God send. It got my foot in the door.

Over a period of nearly 8 months, (and I did not go to FW) I sent off more than 80 CV’s to all of the major players, agencies, ROV companies, etc, etc. I got some polite responses but most of my CV’s just were put in the bin.

Do NOT take that personally, if you have a strong technical ability, the willingness to work and the aptitude to carry on a proper/intelligent conversation and interview’s then you WILL be hired. You are an asset!

After I changed my CV to make it more readable and presentable I got 3 job offers in less than a week!

The company that I am currently with SENT me to FW, and I had to sign a bond agreement of working with the company for a period of 3 years and or paying back the money they spent on sending me on that course.

So my advice to you (and others) that are starting out, is just to hang in there and keep at it. It will come, the pay at first is not that great, but you are at the bottom of the heap and you will do better when you get more experience.

The current economic downturn will cause you more grief as well and more delays, so have a back up plan.

Take note to what is said on this forum….it works. Take some advice with a grain of salt, some people are a bit caustic and do not build up your hopes on a PM that promises you the "golden opportunity". That really is soul destroying.

Good luck

mido
    Participant

i like ur words Trimtank,seems wise enough..keep it up , and i agree that the CV looks differs alot

rovash
    Participant

Cheers for the post trimtank, good info.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar