Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Any Irish ROV pilots?

Any Irish ROV pilots?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Any Irish ROV pilots?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    K
    Participant

Hello all,

New member to the forum here.

I’m currently researching ROV’s and a career change to ROV Pilot Tech. I’ve found some good information in the FAQ’s/Newbie section.

I’d like to hear from any Irish ROV Pilot Techs. The reason is I don’t think there are any training centres in Ireland so I assume the closest place to train is in the UK. I would like to confirm this is the case. And if so, what are the experiences of those who had to train abroad?

Also, would a 3rd Level qualification of a Higher Certificate in Electronic Engineering suffice to commence training as a ROV Pilot Tech? Thanks for your help guys.

K.

Brendan
    Participant

Ah, feck it anyway…….more competition…. 😆

K
    Participant

Ah, feck it anyway…….more competition…. 😆

Sorry about that Bren but the good news is I haven’t done anything about it yet. Only doing my research now.

What’s your situation though? Did you train in Ireland or did you have to go abroad? What are the job prospects like at home? Cheers.

K

Brendan
    Participant

Don’t be sorry about it k, nothing wrong with a bit of competition. I haven’t done anything in the way of job hunting myself yet and I don’t plan on doing any till late 2011.
    Ye there are no rov schools in Ireland for sure, but you can do your offshore survival courses in Donegal or Cork.
    Personally speaking I don’t plan on paying the rov school fee’s but I do plan on paying for the survival course’s and medical. There is stacks of opinions on this forum with regard to private training schools, both for and against….. more so against. I think you would be best off looking at each schools syllabus and making up your on opinion first before reading what others have to say. The only reason I won’t be paying for their training is because having had looked at what they cover I can see that I have already had to study and pass formal tests on at least 70% of what they cover in their electrical/electronic course… so why pay for what state training already put me through!!
    But horses for courses and all that.

As for the Irish mkt there isn’t really one, well in comparison to the likes of Scotland,Norway etc… There are two companies that I no of, one small company in Cork using an eyeball, and another out of Galway using a larger wrov. The latter is tied in with the marine institute in some way. There may be more but I haven’t heard of them. Some quick googling will show up all the info you need about these companies.

You would really need to spend a good while reading through the forums to get a balanced and realistic opinion of what you would be getting yourself into!

Goodluck!

K
    Participant

Don’t be sorry about it k, nothing wrong with a bit of competition. I haven’t done anything in the way of job hunting myself yet and I don’t plan on doing any till late 2011.
    Ye there are no rov schools in Ireland for sure, but you can do your offshore survival courses in Donegal or Cork.
    Personally speaking I don’t plan on paying the rov school fee’s but I do plan on paying for the survival course’s and medical. There is stacks of opinions on this forum with regard to private training schools, both for and against….. more so against. I think you would be best off looking at each schools syllabus and making up your on opinion first before reading what others have to say. The only reason I won’t be paying for their training is because having had looked at what they cover I can see that I have already had to study and pass formal tests on at least 70% of what they cover in their electrical/electronic course… so why pay for what state training already put me through!!
    But horses for courses and all that.

As for the Irish mkt there isn’t really one, well in comparison to the likes of Scotland,Norway etc… There are two companies that I no of, one small company in Cork using an eyeball, and another out of Galway using a larger wrov. The latter is tied in with the marine institute in some way. There may be more but I haven’t heard of them. Some quick googling will show up all the info you need about these companies.

You would really need to spend a good while reading through the forums to get a balanced and realistic opinion of what you would be getting yourself into!

Goodluck!

Thanks for the detailed reply Bren. I thought any newbie had to take the training or employers wouldn’t consider taking you on. I take it this isn’t the case once you have your offshore survival and medicals done?

I already got a reply from the lads in Cork you mentioned above with some advice (fair play lads).

luckyjim37
    Participant

To my knowledge there are only Four full on ROV pilots not counting you and Bren.

Karl Brendiendiek (think that is how you spell it) owns Remote Presence and runs a small ROV out of Skibereen.

There is a chap in Dublin who I know of.

Then there is the finest ROV department in the world with a crew of two. Me and Paddy who work for P&O Maritime service out of Galway.

The nearest geographic training school is MTCS in Windermere.

The larger WROV Bren mentioned is a Quasar ROV built by SMD for the Marine Institute but we run if for them as it has been lumped in with the research vessels.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Incidentally if you are struggling getting into ROV’s your qualification might lend itself to a vessel tech/it tech position with my firm I posted it on here ages ago and the vacancy is still open.

If you were in that position I would gladly give you some training on the ROV during the couple of surveys we do a year and my warehouse is an open door for any free local labour 🙂

Go Galway.

P&O are also starting to spread into cable work. Probably nothing will happen for the next twelve months but there may be openings as things progress. If I hear of anything I will PM you.

dandydon
    Participant

The larger WROV Bren mentioned is a Quasar ROV built by SMD for the Marine Institute but we run if for them as it has been lumped in with the research vessels.

Did they nae loose that wee beastie when it first came oot?, somethin like the first or 2nd dive ever???

A heard they goat it back when a Technip 3rd party boat picked her up aff the seabed wi a ripped oot tms bullet?

Mibbe no but am sure ma buddy was on the recovery boat

luckyjim37
    Participant

The incident occurred during sea trials prior to final sign off. Without going into to much detail as this is still with the legal folk.

The umbilical parted with the bullet just below the snubber.

Hence the TMS and the ROV ended up on the seabed in around 700m of water.

Technip sent a vessel down to recover the Sub. A quick re-term later and it was back in the water working.

There are many stories about what actually happened most of which are generated by folk who were not there.

Fortunately in this case I was not on the winch 🙂

The system now works very well and had a very good survey season last year. It is now in the preperation stages for some interesting work this year. Kicking off in April.

More information regarding the ROV can be found at http://www.marine.ie

If your mate was on the vessel that did the recovery thank him for me Technip did a very good job of recovering the vehicle and doing the transfer back onto our a’frame whilst at sea.

It was not the first or second dive I am almost sure it was double figures In fact I will check the log tomorrow and tell you exactly what dive number it was.

dandydon
    Participant

Hey Jim,

Just incase you think am huvin a poke, a wisnae, it happens to us aw an thase that say its never happen tae them are takin pish. A’s weel that ends weel

Good fur the hero’s tae see whit happens when the shite really dis hit the fan

Anyway, looks a richt interesting wee outfit wi some smert wee steamers there, any joabs goin 😀 😆

Keep up the guid work min

Da’ Dandy

Pauric Keaney
    Participant

Well boys
    Just seen the forum there and though i should let ya’s know that ya’s can add one more ROV pilot to the irish count although i am a sub eng now i have been working offshore a good few years and have been mad busy this year and last. i have done that ROV course over in scotland and it can help a bit but your still only going to get taking on as a trainee so i would tell you apply for trainee place in one of the big companys. as for the fellas on the Quasar ROV built by SMD for the Marine Institute does that sub do anything i worked wit a guy who was the supervisor over there and he said it was doing notthing. There is also any other small ROV company based in galway that i worked with called the irish ROV services. have two eye balls. any way if ya’s have any questions just drop me a message….. 😀

Tony Hoynes
    Participant

Hi Lads, I have been trying for a while now to enter the world of ROV as an ROV Tech. I have applied to various companies as a trainee but also looked at the option of actually paying to undertake one of the many courses, but I am very scepticle about handing over a wad of cash that I havent got. I would love to gain experience working with an ROV team here in Ireland and hopefully use this experience to start my progression. I am here in Co Clare near limerick & Galway and would love to hear from you. tonyhoynes@hotmail.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar