Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Are my qualifications relevant?!

Are my qualifications relevant?!

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Are my qualifications relevant?!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    si_poll_85
    Participant

I have recently qualified as a British Officer with a Higher National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering with a V.Q in Marine Engineering. I also have my British and Dutch certificates of competency allowing me to sail worldwide, along with an American visa. I am seeking to gain employment in the ROV industry and would greatly appreciate any direction or suggestions in which companies to apply to. Cheers everyone.

Ray Shields
    Participant

How much hands on technical experience have you had on the mechanical side? The sailing part will not help at all.

Please read through all the messages especially in the ROV Rookies section on here and read through the FAQ section (link on the left) as there is a lot of good information already posted on here, as well as links to ROV companies. You certainly need to find out more about the ROV industry before contacting companies to ask about a job.

The main criteria is that you have a technical qualification and background. And it should be hands on experience as opposed to theoretical or design work (e.g. degrees). Work on ROVs tends to be more on either hydraulic systems or electrics/electronics. When it comes to Mechanics on ROVs, it tends to be basically cutting brackets and bolting things on – things most people can learn (but not all!)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I beg to differ there Ray 😯
    At least he knows his Port from St’bd which says a lot when you see the amount of muppets the do not 😀
    Avast is also good to know and also full ahead 😀
    I would say being a sailor , his Compass reading would be a dam sight better than most 🙄
    Go for it C pull 8 five apply to one of the companies on salary , take a pay cut at first learn the trade , keep ya sense of humour ………. Away you go 😀

si_poll_85
    Participant

Ive sailed for about 11 months on container vessels and for the last 4 months on a Holland America Line cruise ship. As ive not had any experience with Rov’s directly I will obviously have plenty to learn. However, I work hard and i dont mind putting in the hours for a worth while outcome. Plus, im only 22, merely a boy so ive got youth and naivety on my side…i havent quite learned the world is a cruel, harsh and unforgiving place….yet! Cheers.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

You certainly will if you join this industry 😀

SpearROV
    Participant

Only 22 😯
    You’ll fit right in ‘Smalley Boy’ 😈

Steve
    Participant

That training you have will be the BEST training for entering into the market!

If im correct in thinking you are a Marine Engineer Officer of the watch class 4??

Starting into ROV`s with this training is like i said ideal, a jack of all trades master to be!! I know cos ive done it and you always have the upper hand of knowing You are a competent, certified engineer officer of the watch – although you never need it in ROVs, your one above the chancers! 😛

And youve probably been around the world on real vessels!

si_poll_85
    Participant

MechTech you’re spot on. Class 4 Eng OOW. Ive also been on 4 iff. vessels, worldwide sailing for about 15 months as mentioned before. What I need now is a few tips of who to apply to. Who did you apply to?

Ive already fired off about 12/13 applications and i know the application process is fairly lengthy by all accounts so im currently biding my time. Ive got another contract to do with the company that currently employ me, but thanks to the wonder of e-mail i can keep up-to-date with my ROV applications whilst cruising the caribbean lol.

Thanks very much for your response, gave me a bit of confidence with relation to my qualifications and their relevance to the rov industry, but a few application pointers in relation to which companies to apply to would be much appreciated.

Ray Shields
    Participant

s’funny cos I thought I seen MechTechs tongue well and truly stuck in his cheeck 😀

I think its the amount of !!!!!’s that gave it away!

luckyjim37
    Participant

Now you sound synical Ray 🙄

Steve
    Participant

s’funny cos I thought I seen MechTechs tongue well and truly stuck in his cheeck 😀

I think its the amount of !!!!!’s that gave it away!

Smile and wave

Ray Shields
    Participant

LoL! Hmm, maybe we need a new Emoticon for that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar