Home Forums General General Board Automated Pilot Logs

Automated Pilot Logs

Home Forums General General Board Automated Pilot Logs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NewKidOnTheBlock
    Participant

As someone new to the industry(the name kind of give’s it away), I was wondering what sort of information I need to record about the trips I go on.
    I haven’t got an IMCA log book but as an ex computer geek 😯 , I am in the process of writing a database to store all this info. Has anyone done this themselves or do I really just need to get a life.

Comments on a postcard please !!!!

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

– Dive no. (database record no.)
    – Date
    – Vehicle information: brand, type, class
    – Vehicle instrumentation info: sonar(s), cameras, gyro, rov tools, manipulator(s), cable/pipe tracking, etc.
    – Employer
    – Client
    – Project name
    – Type of work: inspection, trenching, installation, rig support, etc.
    – Work position: rov-pilot, technician, supervisor, etc.

If you have finished writing your database tool can you share it with us?

Terry Simons
    Participant

New kiddywinks…

As a minimum I would make a note of the following:

Date (beginning end of campaign)

Name of Rig/Vessel

ROV System used

Piloting hours (or nano seconds, depending on how good you are)

Task

Contractor (if applicable)

Position held

Client

In Addition and more importantly

Credits (for making a good cuppa, or buying several rounds)

Bitch slaps (for being a plonka)

Deathly Silences (for asking rediculously stupid questions that even Google would get you NO hits)

Crumbs Ronsrovlinks…you snuck in whilst I was still typing!

subseascott
    Participant

A little black book type of idea for you to put less inspiring individuals names in that you come across. That way when you see a familiar name on some crew change details you allways know from that moment on that your trip is taking a turn for the worse 👿 !!!!! Only joking!!!!!

Good luck with the project…….

David
    Participant

I think the most important thing is to get it signed off by the supervisor/ company man or someone of influence. Without that it is really up in the air as to if you were there or did any dives at all. If you ever really need to go back to a report one day you will be glad you did. Comes in really handy if pay is ever debated.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I think the most important thing is to get it signed off by the supervisor/ company man or someone of influence. Without that it is really up in the air as to if you were there or did any dives at all. If you ever really need to go back to a report one day you will be glad you did. Comes in really handy if pay is ever debated.

Company Men in general do not give a stuff about some ROV pilots career and wont sign anything.

The other main problem is, who checks the names/signatures of these logs? They could be signed by the Cook on the rig/ship for all anyone knows.

The logs are handy to keep as a record and are handy to wave at the manager to show how much you have worked but apart from that they prove nothing and are mainly handy as a reference for yourself.

After the first couple of years you wil find you dont bother continuing tho!

NewKidOnTheBlock
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies of what to record. It kind of tallies with what I thought.
    As to why I’m doing it, it’s because my memory ain’t as good as it used to be. From my experience, and as ray says, some employers like to see evidence, whether it’s signed off or not.
    If you can print off a record of what you’ve done at the touch of a button, or paste details into a new CV, then it’s got to be worth it. Paper log books just get tatty and lost, whereas digital is easy to transport, easy to copy and easy to give out.
    Add that to the fact that I am sure that I will have some spare time to actually write it and update it while I’m offshore anyway, then why not. I’m even looking into how I can add salary details so that I can give my accountant my details accurately for the tax man.
    When it’s at a usable state, I’ll let you all know, and those that want it, can.

Savante
    Participant

some of the agencies have taken on a new "fad" in cvs; a matrix of the last ten (or so) jobs you’ve done. Sounds to me like cutn’paste from your little database would do the job perficky.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar