Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner BEST IN-HOUSE TRAINING

BEST IN-HOUSE TRAINING

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner BEST IN-HOUSE TRAINING

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ROV_VALLEY_COMMANDO
    Participant

Melvodon,

BLAH BLAH BLAH, think we will have to start calling you Nescafe, instant expert just add water!!!

Liked the bit about the verts, Mix Master Melvodon!

rovnumpty
    Participant

melvodon.

You appear to have hit the nail on the head when it comes to oceaneerings vehicles.

everyone in oceaneering thinks they’re great, best thing sliced bread. Especially the new ones.

everyone outside oceaneering thinks they’re crap, better off with a scorpio. Even the new ones.

They had to buy SCVs from stolt to get a decent construction vehicle.

NewKidOnTheBlock
    Participant

Hi
    This one is for Rayshields mainly, but any comments would help.
    What is the Fugro training like in the Middle East? Do they still have to come to Aberdeen or do they have their own setup?

beagle
    Participant

Ok Ok!! another ex forces trying to hijack the industry…. but seriously can anyone help with a decent ROV training provider?
    Ive just completed 12 yrs in UK Forces( Army ) any already done survival and got the medic cert now with my ELC/Resettlement need to complete the ROV pilot/tech course.. who provides the best courses and do employers prefer people to have lots of flying hours under your belt..if so whats the realistic chances of employment??? ANYONE?!

temp
    Participant

Beagle

Very much depends upon what your time in the Army consisted of i.e. what was your trade, was it in a technical branch?

Take a look at previous replies to similar questions, such as:
    in this section (‘Rookie Corner’):
    ‘Leaving RAF soon, booked ROV course, any further info…’
    ‘Soon to be out of RAF, bit of ROV advice please…’

In ‘General’ section:
    ‘CV standard…’

and many other threads, sometimes not easy to find as they often run on from previous threads with an unrelated title. Also see FAQ’s.

For ROV Trainee positions, companies are generally looking for people who already have a good level of technical experience. This could be from an industry or forces training course, coupled with formal technical qualifications such as HNC/ONC/City & Guilds etc., plus several years practical experience as a tech, with transferrable skills and aptitude to learn new ones.

Either Electronic/Electrical or Hydraulic/Mechanical, or ideally some experience of all of these (as will eventually need to get to grips with all aspects of ROV’s, not just your ‘main trade’), although not be a ‘jack of all trades master of none’.

Whether to do one of the short ROV introductory courses or not has also had many posts on this forum. General consensus is don’t bother. If you already have technical experience, this should be enough, and companies usually put trainees through some sort of induction training programme anyway, sometimes outsourcing it to ROV training schools, followed by on-job training.
    If someone has no real quality previous tech experience, then a few weeks course is obviously not going to make them into a tech.

There are many good guys in the industry who did not have much formal tech training/quals, but these mostly entered the ROV industry years ago, perhaps from the diving side etc, or when things were not as health and safety and qualification orientated. Many have just gradually picked up their tech knowledge on the job, self-taught etc. Some are actually better than supposedly qualified techs. However, companies nowadays tend to recruit already experienced/qualified techs, as legislation in UK deems that they have to be able to demonstrate that people are ‘trained and competent’ before letting them loose.

The flying experience gained on a short course whilst of some benefit, is minimal. The job is as a Pilot/Technician, you have to be able to do both, and the vast majority of trainees will come in with no previous piloting experience, so this comes with time on the job. The technician bit is the thing the companies are looking for.

If not already a tech, nothing wrong in going for a complete career change, and eventually going into ROV industry, but if no trade then do some technical training first.

My advice is; don’t waste your own money or resettlement allowance on an ROV training course, use it for training in something with a wider appeal to more than in just one narrow industry sector.
    If not already a tech and want to be, consider going to college or distance learning. If you are already a tech, just apply to all the ROV companies.

temp

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hi
    This one is for Rayshields mainly, but any comments would help.
    What is the Fugro training like in the Middle East? Do they still have to come to Aberdeen or do they have their own setup?

NewKid

There is no format trainig out in Fugro Middle east that I am aware of, in fact none of the other Fugro Opcos do tROV training apart from Aberdeen. Thsis is currently been looked at by the Fugro Academy which is trying to standardise and supply training across all of the company.

Beage,

as Temp said. An ROV training course on its own will NOT get you a job. You also need the appropriate technical skiss and experience behind it. Remember as well, if you do this course and dont get a job, it wont count for any other job in the world. Doing HNCs, NVQs, City & Guilds etc. will also all help in getting a job offshore AND in any other job in life.

The survival and Medical you did, did you do the full 5 day survival that covers Norway and Netherlands? Did you get your UK medical AND Norway medical?

Bet not. Therefore, you have already wasted part of your settlement money as 99% of companies require these as standard and will have to put you through them anyway.

Best of luck ,read through all the posts and FAQs and if you have any specific questions, post them on here.

Brochloon
    Participant

I wouldn’t be too quick to criticize Oceaneering’s simulator on here

I have had the ‘honour’ of spending a week on that thing as a trainee and although I was rather non-plussed by the whole experience, it is better than nothing at all.

Oceaneerings training is good. As with any training you get out of it what you put in, and as Ray Sheilds says, you will learn a hell of a lot more once you get offshore and the sub breaks down two or three times .
    And to be perfectly honest, we are ROV pilot/techs not brain surgeons, it’s not that difficult as long as you are from a sound engineering background 😀

Oceaneering training may be Magnum specific, but what do you expect??? The majority of their vehicles are Magnums.

My vehicle is a Scorpion and it is a solid reliable vehicle, which is actually slightly older than I am

TheProphet
    Participant

The best training you can get is on the job.
    Most training courses are specific to one vehicle.
    There are things different on each vehicle but at the end of the day it is just a machine, if you look after it, give it a bit of TLC it will look after its self and become more reliable. 🙂

As far as Oceaneering training goes i worked with a guy who is now one of there training experts lease said the better 😆

mudflap
    Participant

hello everyone
    I am new to the forum and attending a ROV Tech class in the US. this class seems to not focus on one particular aspect of the industry, instead one is learning about rigging, hydraulics, electronics and a small degree of piloting (more to get people excited about the career field they have chosen i presume). i am curious how this curriculum would be better then the Fugro/Subset training where, i am not sure, but it seems that they spend much more time on piloting. is fugro/subset promoting piloting mainly or do they put some the other requirments for the job into the curriculum? as i say, i am just curious since i am paying 6500 us for this course.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar