Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions best inspection class ROV

best inspection class ROV

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions best inspection class ROV

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Seaeye then Subatlantic in that order.

misiuek
    Participant

+ is clockwise

– is counter clockwise

so you know which way to turn , you could do a few turns and its not till you return to tms or deck and put tension on it will it become a twist …

Savante
    Participant

The turns counter on the seaeye software indeed gives you +/- how many turns. This relies on the software looking at the compass direction and counting how many times it transits from 359.9 to 0.01 degrees (OR REVERSE!). This of course assumes the $5 3D gyrocompass within the POD isn’t being influenced by close-proximity magnetic materials like templates n stuff.

I think what was being hinted at was that the manufacturing process had resulted in 3 tethers (my understanding of the post) having conductors or other connections twisted within the tether itself?! That’s actually really hard to do using say a Tiger ROV – normally I’ve just seen the kinks in all the conductors when I cut back the tether jacket, but you literally have to twist up 5-7 turns and then reverse the ROV into the TMS over the kink several times, tighten the tehter and then REALLY kick the @HIT out of it afterwards?!?

I’d go for seaeye anyday-then again I drive a volvo estate.

Just also get for an otterbox prior to your electronics pod if you’re adding n taking away lots of sensors regularly. I hate waiting 8 hours for that scotchcast to cure and I also hate having to squeeze two seaeye bulkhead connectors through that small hole in the buoyancy pad.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Oil filled junction box is better 🙂

Savante
    Participant

ah, sorry I got my tradename wrong then. We fill ours with dialla or transformer oil. apologies.

misiuek
    Participant

normally I’ve just seen the kinks in all the conductors when I cut back the tether jacket, but you literally have to twist up 5-7 turns and then reverse the ROV into the TMS over the kink several times, tighten the tehter and then REALLY kick the @HIT out of it afterwards?!?

holy shit think you can stay on the winch!

seaeye did have a problem with there previous tethers that had been built with a twist already in them, a nightmare, they got replaced… eventually.

seaeye jbs have still to be potted all be it with tiny pots , but after seeing the aftermath of some recent pottings , give me a lovely oily jb any day. not so good for tigers or smaller but for bigger seaeyes lovely

oh and dont think that potting is easy , in last couple months seen 4 disasters from different sources….

hell i must just be lucky……………………

Savante
    Participant

Yeha, I was using artistic license there to illustrate a point, but reading the quotation I **would** have to insert the word…

"….you **would** literally have to…."

Can we get a paintbrush or something in the emoticon list for future !! 😈

Rough seas…….

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Savante,

I’m glad you cleared that up for us… I almost had another hair on my head turn white!

Had an old Perry Recon on a platfrom insp job (yes, it was a while back…) and 7 (count em’ 7!!) spare tethers. I queried the ops mgr about this and he says "There may be a possibility that this batch of tethers aren’t exactly okay". Aren’t exactly okay??? 7 platforms – 7tethers later, we had remaining 279′ of tether left – we needed 275′ to reach an expansion spool on the other side of the platform (could only tie up to one side of the platform). Last dive – it made it. To get there was a flight path 45 deg from / off the platform the extent of the tether mid-water and a SLOW curve back to the jobsite. The tether, during manuf, had plenty of slips in their cable dies and ended up with 180 deg kinks in (what else?) 5 out of 9 power conductors ALL THE WAY THROUGH EACH TETHER!!! Bend it around a corner and POP – a nice charred hole through the outer jacket!

It kind of reminds me of the flying techniques one had to use whilst flying the RCV – 125’s, 225’s and 150’s (that’s hydro products San Diego – no longer, but you can actually see an RCV 225 in a UK maritime museum – can’t remember where! And one of the James Bond movies in Q’s shop) For those of you who aren’t familiar. Imagine, no sonar, no gyro, no Xponder, extremely under-powered, a divers compass attached to the front of the vehicle, NO! I.C.’s, and one very large yet compact SIT camera. Ah but I’m digressing (again) / nattering on…

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar