Home Forums General General Board bloody wirelock!!!

bloody wirelock!!!

Home Forums General General Board bloody wirelock!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

You don’t want to test the termination at 4.5 times the load, 2 times is more than sufficient. The 4.5 – 6 times will be near tensile failure for the machined parts. What ever you do, DONT SPRAY WITH SILICONE OR ANY OTHER MOLD RELEASE!!! The wirelock needs to stick to the metal or the forces created by sliding action into the taper can destroy the wirelock at less than the rated load. Also make sure you remove all the grease from the cable strands and clean them thoroughly.

Reterming the umbilical isn’t as bad as explaining why the entire system is sitting on the bottom.

Well never had any problem with it, goes for 18 tons sub and down to 2 tons

Savante
    Participant

well- we got witnessed last night using a 4.8t load and the bullet didn’t appear to move (put a jubilee clip up the umbilical as a reference) so I am happy. It’s quite relieving to see the LARs and mumbical stand up to the load. Gives me a bit more confidence when we use it tomorrow morning. 😯

now we just gotta fill up the jb with wires and optical fibres.

going to change the title of this topic to hot melts; do not drink coffee before hand…. 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I’ll put my two pence worth in 😀
    If ya canna bust it out with a hammer and ya don’t have a press.
    Use the gas torch to heat it up sufficiently and then bash it out .
    Do it outside due to the fumes then tidy it up with contact cleaner , And NO I have never had trouble with the bullet afterwards or explosions 🙂

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Savante
    Dont forget to do your mousing wire 😀

Angry
    Participant

Do as we do and carry a spare bullet, then send the old one to the beach for clean and test along with the meter or so of umbilical to be tested. 8)

Savante
    Participant

finished the work two days ago chaps, thanks for the advice though – we got it out by brute force approach-had to re-tap the threads on the top as we missed with the mallet once. (ok twice!)

Polished the optical fibres out yesterday and ran a deck test – everything worked !

We always use the mousing wire. 🙄 Have you dropped a TMS flycatcher ?? 😆

Spare bullet would be great, but it’s a rented system.

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Just couldn’t resist adding my twopennies worth 😀

Savante
    Participant

heh heh heh, a fellow fisherman !! 😆 😆

quaich
    Participant

You don’t want to test the termination at 4.5 times the load, 2 times is more than sufficient. The 4.5 – 6 times will be near tensile failure for the machined parts. What ever you do, DONT SPRAY WITH SILICONE OR ANY OTHER MOLD RELEASE!!! The wirelock needs to stick to the metal or the forces created by sliding action into the taper can destroy the wirelock at less than the rated load. Also make sure you remove all the grease from the cable strands and clean them thoroughly.

Reterming the umbilical isn’t as bad as explaining why the entire system is sitting on the bottom.

Well never had any problem with it, goes for 18 tons sub and down to 2 tons

I’ve heard people do this but never had the balls to try it.
    I would agree that the hammer action of the wirelok against the inside if the bullet would cause cracking or shattering.
    As for thoroughly cleaning the wires. I was told by a load test gadgy that it’s not that important. I still make sure their squeaky clean though just to be sure. The hour it takes gives me piece of mind.

When you pour the Wirelok make sure you dont fill it up past the taper and into the parallel section. It makes it much easier to get out when it comes to reterm time.
    And carry a spare bullet. Then its someone elses problem 😆

David
    Participant

Where is this bullet? is it like a spelter socket?

Savante
    Participant

heavy weights version of a kellums/chinese finger (in function at least).

I’ve never heard the term spelter socket. Sounds scottish. 😆 and definately better than "bullet".

bullet is for more heavy loads. it’s a solid metal block that you bind to the metal armour on the mainlift (bending the armour strands back on itself to form a sort of tapered end- get a friction fit and then fill up the holes with wirelock to preven the bullet slipping off the end). then you attach the other end (normally on a 90degree rotating bracket) to the tms.

I’ve seen have ’em too on the soft tether to a work class.

Stick with the light class and kellums – my arm was acheing for a whole day after administering a strategic/tactical clobbering.

quaich
    Participant

Where is this bullet? is it like a spelter socket?

I suppose it is like a spelter socket.
    Spelter sockets are for terminating onto wire ropes.
    Bullets are for main lift umbilicals which when you think about it is a wire rope with some other bits inside.

I’m gonna start calling them spelter sockets.
    Sounds far more technical
    😀

Savante
    Participant

‘Tis the dawning of a new age…..

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Ah Spelter Sockets, Is that the dubree that you attach the whats-a-ma-callit to using that bluey ugee-ma-flip stuff thats comes in a can and you mix with one of those things that wizz round you know what I mean 😕 .

God !!!
    need to write things down more 😀

David
    Participant

yep it is like that……………………….kind of.

D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar