Home Forums General General Board bloody wirelock!!!

bloody wirelock!!!

Home Forums General General Board bloody wirelock!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

bending the armour strands back on itself to form a sort of tapered end- get a friction fit and then fill up the holes with wirelock to preven the bullet slipping off the end).

You bend your wires inside the bullit? Tsk!

You had to mention bloody reterms didnt you – just had to finish one on my last nightshift before travelling home Thursday!

Anonymous

Why bend them? we did that before wirelock came around, not anymore.
    well i dont know when wirelock came, but i first used it in 84-85 i think

Savante
    Participant

Aww, bad luck. They are a sure fire way of ruining a good trip.

We just use procedures from the manufacturer as these tend to be certified methodologies and form part of a "construction manual", which they use for insurance, ISO900x stuff.

The load test specifications also come from the manufacturer. We tend to go one further and offer the dock-side inspectors tea/coffee (our greatest skill and asset) and take a look at the certs for their load cells too. I’d rather loose the hour alongside.

I’ve seen procedures vary from company to company even for something as small as a tiger. some go for bend-back (ours was bend back every 10th strand for the last 20mm), I’ve heard of people just braiding groups of three to bulk up the tapered end and others saying bend back a lot larger lengths of the outer armour.

I think, looking at the procedure, the combination of wirelock and bend-back is probably just to ensure that a single-point failure (wirelock fails or gradual fracture of armour strands over 12-18 months – typically reccomended to do one every 12-18 months). Just added protection for the manufacturer -it’s an insurance thing at the end of the day.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I’m also sure that IMCA Guidelines for ROV main lifts recommends that they are reterminated every 12 months.

Anonymous

Hhhmmm, maybe i should call the company and get them to do a reterm before i come onboard next time, its about 18 months old now.
    (just so i dont have to do it)

Savante
    Participant

Well, I would follow IMCA as I believe they are the industry-recognised relevant body. The procedure from the manufacturer which I have states;

"the umbilical/bullet should be reterminated each 12 to 18 months".

Being cautious by nature, I would tend to opt for the smaller period between reterms (yup increased maintenance 👿 ) so that we err on side of caution but certainly in the last 10-15 trips I’ve yet to come across a mainlift umbilical older than 12 months. 😆 😆

I guess, there’s also the point that this is possibly handled by the beach in terms of long-term maintenance scheduling?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I’m also sure that IMCA Guidelines for ROV main lifts recommends that they are reterminated every 12 months.

Should be an hours-used / in water-type maint schedule (re:remember the skint days / dusty ROV’s…)

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar