Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Colourblindness

Colourblindness

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Colourblindness

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Sears
    Participant

Hi all

I have minor red/green colourblindness, and I was wondering how this would affect me as far as piloting ROV’s. The only time I’ve noticed an issue so far were yellow/green lights on automation systems.

Sorry to see you guys are shutting down. Thank you for the info provided; hopefully I can put it to good use.

Cheers

Sam

John Bridgett
    Participant

Hi all

I have minor red/green colourblindness, and I was wondering how this would affect me as far as piloting ROV’s. The only time I’ve noticed an issue so far were yellow/green lights on automation systems.

Sorry to see you guys are shutting down. Thank you for the info provided; hopefully I can put it to good use.

Cheers

Sam

From a piloting point of view maybe not much BUT most jobs you have to be a technician too which involves fixing it and then the colour issue may be significant. Have a word with an offshore medic and see what they say.

J

Dao Tuan Anh
    Participant

Hi

I also have red / green color blindness. I failed color blind test in my medical exam but I am still working as a ROV pilot tech. So you have nothing to worry about unless you want to switch to 3.4 inspector after ROV.

Cheers,
    Anh

T-Boy
    Participant

IMO, Offshore medics are generally as much use as tits on a fish.

It sounds like you have a colour deficiency NOT colour blindness. This is incorrectly diagnosed by a lot of medical ‘experts’.

If you are red/green colour blind, you will struggle and probably kill yourself and the whole team if you get near the HVAC, however if you are red/green deficient (which is very common) you should be fine. That said, sounds like you might get confused at traffic lights if you are struggling with Yellow/green?

If you fail the Ishihara plates you will not be able to do any ‘watch’ duties, which isn’t a problem if you are ROV.

The definitive way of checking colour deficiencies is with a bundle of different colour wires for example, but that is far to logical and technical I guess.

Samuel Sears
    Participant

Nice guys, thanks for the input.

Dao Tuan Anh
    Participant

There are three type of color blindness: Red/Green as me, Blue/Yellow and total color blind as this guy http://www.ted.com/talks/neil_harbisson_i_listen_to_color.html. If you have problem with red and green, I think you also have the same problem with pink and white, violet and blue, orange and yellow, etc.

As a ROV technician, you have to work with electrical wires and most of them are distinguished by its color. However, there is always another way to do the same job. I use DVM because I don’t know which one is red and which one is green during the night.

Good luck,

Anh

Des_b
    Participant

Just make sure you get someone else to check your work….Simples!! 🙂

T-Boy
    Participant

I use DVM because I don’t know which one is red and which one is green during the night.
    Anh

You are having a girraffe 😆 Red and green on a DVM???

What’s the world coming to?!? I take my own leads offshore, the left one is ribbed and the right one is smoothe…easy peasy

😉

Glevum
    Participant

According to the JIB electrical apprenticeship medical form JIB344

ABSENCE OF COLOUR BLINDNESS IS AN ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENT

So colour blindness will be a bigger problem from the maintainence point of view than the piloting point of view

Dao Tuan Anh
    Participant

@T-Boy:

Sometimes in the drawing e.g. for cable, it said pin no 1 is green and no 2 is red so I have to use DVM to check the pin number 😯

@Glevum
    :

I agree that it is important but you know some people were born with bad eyes like me. I am myopic and astigmatic as well. Did you check the video? He is amazing 😀 We are not perfect but we can change.

Samuel Sears
    Participant

Apparently they accidentally invented some glasses that correct colourblindness. Can’t remember what the original application was.

David Sherry
    Participant

not sure if its the same in the ROV industry but on the more modern trucks and buses most of the wires are now the same colour and have 4 digit identifiers stamped on them at intervals spanning the length of the wire, so if you are following a wiring diagram youll have no trouble spotting the wire in the harness that your looking for.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar