Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Course or not?

Course or not?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Course or not?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steven Smith
    Participant

Hi sorry if I shouldn’t have opened a new thread for this.

Anyway, currently working as a tech for a volkswagen dealership. Would it be essential for me to take an ROV course? Or is it possible to pick up ROV work coming from a decent level in automotive industry.

bt
    Participant

Not at the moment!!!!
    Too many trainees about and not enough work. keep your money and look around no matter what the school’s say. Keep an eye on this site and you’ll know when times are better.

Toni Morgan
    Participant

Here we go again, you guys really wind me up. NO, NO, NO you can’t become a ROV Pilot/Tech with just a Volkswagen bloody tech experience. What sort sort of industry do you think this is.

Before coming on here asking stupid questions please do some homework on the ROV industry. There are guys out there who are spending thousands of pounds doing ROV courses and you think you don’t have to. Is your daddy someone special?

Listen stripe, you might be very luck to find a company that will take you on and train you in house but I doubt it, or you can get a loan and do the course yourself.

Out of interest stripe are you qualified in either Electronics, Hydraulics, Mechanical or Electrical, if you are you might stand a better chance as those are the main qualifications you need.

Toni Morgan
    Participant

Wow, sugar rush.

Steven Smith
    Participant

Breathe.

Just a general question thats all didn’t expect to just waltz in to any company, infact not even looking to go into it yet looking to work towards becoming a master tech where I am first, then possibly look at doing courses related to ROV. Know a guy who worked as a TV repairer who found work in the industry.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Wow, sugar rush.

Watch the blood pressurre laddie!!!

Kiwitech
    Participant

Know a guy who worked as a TV repairer who found work in the industry.

Well I started in ROV after working as a "domestic electronic technician" TVs and such many years ago in early 90’s. Then got a shore based job as electronics technician then moved into marine electronics 11 years ago.
    Still doing it but keep an eye out here as considering going back Offshore however not much around in NZ or Aussie for a Trainee at the moment and don’t really want to go further afield. Would have to say I have been away so long I would be a trainee again as technology has moved on.
    So yes it is possible BUT I had a good background in electronics generally, cant say much else. In my limited experience I would say if your background was strong in electonics and/or hydraulics you would pick it up as you go along (no course for me). If you have experience in neither then your chances are much much much slimmer.
    Hope I don’t offend any of the Old Hands with my reply

bt
    Participant

yeah !! I know an ex- plumber, paint and decorater, Prison warden and a chinese laundry man that are working offshore as Rov techs and none of them have done a Rov course.!!!!!!

blackbeard
    Participant

I know a ex london council gravedigger and he is a SUPERB p/t 😀

Hi Stripe,

Sorry that some of my colleagues are rude, brash and abrasive. Times are a bit hard and they dont want anyone, who may be better than them, stealing what little jobs are around.

To answer your fair question a little more rationally, there is no straightforward answer.

At present the industry is very depressed with few jobs around for freelancers and many regular jobs having been chopped casuing lower wages. If you read some of the older threads you will find various theories as to why this is – ranging from new trainees undercuttting to get jobs (one agent told me that he was offered 2 days pay to put a particular guy forward for a job!!!!), certain companies using third world PT’s at a rate approaching slave labour, agencies skimming large amounts etc – but whatever the reason it does look as if the industry will recover again this year – the signs are there now – more (apparent) jobs are being posted. O and G experts are predicting a rise in oil prices to over 100 US a barrel (this will spur further exploration and a recovery although not overnight) as well as countries have been overestimating their resources and the actual amounts seem to be much lower than announced.

So assuming the industry recovers – do you need a course?

I had the same dillema when I joined the industry. I had been involved in military aircraft all my working life, fortunately I had managed to get two trade apprenticships, was multiskilled and allready in supervisory/management roles within the navy (wind you necks in crabfats and pongos) and later with Bae in Saudi (fixed wing are a piece of piss after helicopters). I contacted some companies and asked them the state of play and was basically told "I dont give a shit about the course so long as you can do the job" and that is really the bottom line.

However I felt that by doing the course, I was demonstrating a belief in my own abilities, enough to pay put out the dosh and at the same time getting a broad overview of the industry which was useful. So I enrolled with Subserv at Windermere (now MTSC – Richard Warburton I believe), it was great course which I thoroughly enjoyed and got a job straightaway in Singapore.

I know people who were carpet fitters and push bike technicians who are excellent PT/s, I also know guys who are qualified up to there backsides who should not be allowed to flip burgers at roadside stalls let alone try to fix a push bike (or even a volvo for that matter). One guy worked in an office with no technical background – he paid a load out for the electrical course and the PT course and is doing fine.

There is a large amount of free information on the net – just amatter of finding it – that will help you understand the industry better though and help you make a more informed decision. I would say do the course, dont expect a job right now and be prepared for when the industry reflates

So Stripe its horses for courses – if the cap fits wear it etc.
    The Imca stuff is also changing the equation but it depends where you work and who for.

Hope this helps.

Richard Black
    Participant

Well its always a sticking point with current ROV guys about people coming in from other industries.. As far as automotive ive been a senior technician for many years and found the Rov techs course a piece of piss. I will also add the the standard of teaching was also very good and an excellent base to start a career from. And as far as working on an Rov compaired to a car is a walk in the park. no dashboard, seats or tight engine bays to worry about. I have worked on loads of hydraulics , mechanical and electrical / multiplex systems to a very high standard but still cant break through into the ROV world.. 12 months later imm still in the motor trade and still applying.. who knows maybe one day ill earn back the fortune ive spend on survival / medical etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar