Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Crewing Levels With Fugro

Crewing Levels With Fugro

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Crewing Levels With Fugro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    subman
    Participant

It would seem that Fugro are cutting back on crew levels now there only send out 2 men and no data recorder .
    How on earth is the pilot going to fly , Do all the paper work , Text over lays and Audio over lays and fly .
    This is getting sill what ever happen to the 34U ?

Cheers

subman

K2
    Participant

subman

Sounds like you’ve had it cushy. I just came off a job where I was flying, had the comms to the bridge on my head constanlty (no follow sub so needed constant chat), had to regularly answer the VHF (behind me out of reach), tell the co-pilot what to do/write/log/voice over/change annotation & when to run the media recordings etc (new guy) and lean across the console to change sonar ranges and operate other surveillence kit that the co-pilot wasn’t familiar with….oh yes, then there was all the superfluous paperwork associated with running a job……..

I guess compdup would’ve been disappointed that there was no standing around for 12 hours then hanging around on the bridge……

😉

K2
    Participant

Forgot to add…..I also had to control the winch (remote in the shack) and supervise the launch from the control van via deck cameras (van aft, ROV fwd).

Accident waiting to happpen, I won’t be going back………

Seems this is the way things will be for a while with such a shortage of guys. 😥

Perfect for negotiating day rates though 😆

😉

Stay safe

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

subman

Sounds like you’ve had it cushy. I just came off a job where I was flying, had the comms to the bridge on my head constanlty (no follow sub so needed constant chat), had to regularly answer the VHF (behind me out of reach), tell the co-pilot what to do/write/log/voice over/change annotation & when to run the media recordings etc (new guy) and lean across the console to change sonar ranges and operate other surveillence kit that the co-pilot wasn’t familiar with….oh yes, then there was all the superfluous paperwork associated with running a job……..

I guess compdup would’ve been disappointed that there was no standing around for 12 hours then hanging around on the bridge……

K2,

Would’ve been a cakewalk for him with his vast amount of experience! but then again, he wouldn’t have been able to fit his head through the door. Ahhhh, there’s always the winch / chipping / painting / fresh air….

😉

To all the managers, You folks are supposed to be getting MORE personnel on the jobsites re: MORE MONEY. Yeah, whatever did happen to data recorders 3.4’s, etc.??? They are certed…

NewKidOnTheBlock
    Participant

Guess you won’t be going to Fugro middle east either. They are all 2 man crews.

Cynic
    Participant

Fugro ME now there’s a snake pit. Never been, but know a few of the onshore and offshore personnel. Not as bad as Nigeria for your health but worse for your career NO bull. Seriously avoid going there if at all possible.

Ray Shields
    Participant

It would seem that Fugro are cutting back on crew levels now there only send out 2 men and no data recorder .
    How on earth is the pilot going to fly , Do all the paper work , Text over lays and Audio over lays and fly .
    This is getting sill what ever happen to the 34U ?

Cheers

subman

Se my other reply to your same message in another thread. 2 man crew per 12 hours is normal for an eyeball isnt it? You only need a 33U if the client insists and pays for it.

Otherwise there is lots of "appears to be" in the commentary!

Fugro still have 3 men per 12 hours for Workclass, unless something drastics changed in the last few weeks.

Savante
    Participant

Been working (freelance) with a lot of companies now with 2 men crews and providing 24hour "floating coverage" for the best part of two years now – its becomming regular practise now though; fugro are definately not an exception there ! There just aren’t enough people to spread around at the moment. Good for us I think!

A lot of the time we compensate and ask the skipper for an AB to help on launch n recovery; should always be at least 3 guys on deck in my mind, but we also tend to work on the basis of a TMS spread, so winch Up/Down is minimised n winch man tends to be unnecessary and we swap note-taking duties….

Key thing is- if you are supervisor and frankly even if you are a pilot tech too nowadays ( 😯 ) you should check the cvs of the other guy before you accept the job and take a real interest in the skills set !!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Se my other reply to your same message in another thread. 2 man crew per 12 hours is normal for an eyeball isnt it? You only need a 33U if the client insists and pays for it.

Otherwise there is lots of "appears to be" in the commentary!

Fugro still have 3 men per 12 hours for Workclass, unless something drastics changed in the last few weeks.

Ray,
    There were quite a few companies that had(or still have) a "floating data recorder" either between the divers and ROV spreads OR between the ROV spread and climbing up platforms, etc. taking photos, UT’s, and other fun cswip stuff. Seems that these guys are slowly or have been slowly phased out. This is / was with any type of vehicle that had been used for inspection jobs I was on. Cost-cutting perchance?? They are / were getting a tidy wage. Can’t say that I’ve been on a job with one as of late… Has anyone else???

Des_b
    Participant

Sorry NKOTB

But Fugro ME isnt all 2 man crews. Some off the jobs are I agree,but there again you dont need more than 2 if you are on standby and only working day shift and doing seabed surveys…not the worlds best job but theyre not all like that 😀 . I do agree thought that some of the barge crews are undermanned which is in the process of being rectified…and no I dont work in the office I is offshore baas (Aint no office waller!!!!)
    And as for being a snake pit CYNIC, Its no more a snake pit than anywhere else you go. 😆

Sarcy
    Participant

Ray, as far as commentary on any video survey goes the phrase "appears to be" should be used by everyone be they 3.3, 3.4 or workclass.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Appears to be , Might be , Possible indication , Approx’ etc 🙂
    Ray you are right in assuming that small eyeball jobs are most notably two man teams ( per shift )
    Inspection of platforms or storage facilities on the other hand in most countries ( and I loosely say – most countries 😀 ) Not the F$@ked up ones , Have a Data – Dog to collate the info .

luckyjim37
    Participant

On all of the Fugro jobs I have worked over the past seven years (on and off) there has only ever been one incident of a two man crew on a sealion system and that was a politics thing as the contracting company was supposed to supply the third man.

Ray is for once quite correct a data dog is at the clients request and on his bill.

Maybe a lot of companies are now only providing two man crews but if you are losing a trainee who knows nothing or a local who is there to make up the numbers it seems to me that the only thing you might end up losing out on is someone to make the tea.

And before I upset anyone unintentionally not all local workers are a waste of space or just there to make the tea. ❗

There are always going to be one off jobs with lack of people and during this current busy period it is going to happen more often than not but surely we are as an industry big enough to deal with this..

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Hey All,

Not sure it’s a cost cutting exercise, as mentioned above, the data dog has to be requested by the client, no request, no data dog!

However, something about the word ‘Inspection’ should give the game away as to there really being a data dog around to gather the data. Or, at least a third person to do the data collection. Most companies these days run with some electronic form or other for data management, again usually controlled/run by the data dog.

I’ve done a bit of work for Fugro-Rovtech, have done for a while now, and well, there are still loads of 3.4U’s on there books going out to work with the afore mentioned eyeball 2 man teams on inspection jobs. and also involved with the workclass stuff too!

All the best
    Gina

Sarcy
    Participant

and then there is all the washing, ironing, coffee… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar