Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Currently serving in the Royal Air Force, seeking change.

Currently serving in the Royal Air Force, seeking change.

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Currently serving in the Royal Air Force, seeking change.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard Slater
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m Richie and I have served in the Royal Air Force as an Aircraft Avionics Technician for 14 years. As with anything in life, the grass can sometimes seem greener so I’m thinking about leaving Auntie Liz’s Flying Circus and move on into the world of ROV’s. To me it’ll be a new challenge, still with time away which isn’t a problem but at least I’ll not be subject to rocket attacks etc anymore.

I am going to an Oil & Gas Careers Transition Fair in Aberdeen at the end of the month to ‘lick my my finger and stick it in the air’ as a starter for ten. I understand that there are a few courses to undertake for Off-shore work before you are even considered worth looking at but everything in due course.

My current qualifications stand at the usual standard grades of 3+ in English, Maths and Physics etc, an NVQ3 in Basic Eng, BTEC in Electrical Aeronautical Eng, Level 5 Diploma in Leadership & Management. I have also attained a wide variety of skillsets which are easily transferable to a civilian setting.

So my main question is aimed at the ex-forces amongst us, how easy did you find the transition and do you have any top tips for me?

Any help, is very much appreciated.

Richard Slater
    Participant

What would the more experienced on here say that is most important to the ROV companies with respect to taking on a trainee? I’m also about to start a HNC in Electrical Engineering with Teeside University as it will not only solidfy what I do know but also jog my memory on what I have forgotten.

I’ve mentioned in my CV that I have gained a deep understanding of areas such as Fault Diagnosis & Rectification, System Functional Testing, Leadership & Management, Human Factors, On-the-Job Training Instructional Techniques (OJTIT), COSHH Regulations, PAT Testing, Health and Safety, Risk Assessments and Manual Handling.

Any feedback is always welcome.

Sit Rep
    Participant

Spearmint,

A word of advice in your shell-like…

For your own safety and the future of others, please do not post CV type material on here.

The only people that need to see this are those to whom you apply directly and verifiably (meaning YOU know who THEY are).

Trust me it’s for your own good.

Good luck 😉

Richard Slater
    Participant

Cheers Sitrep, advice taken and post edited.

michael bailey
    Participant

Hey Buddy, you are probably more than qualified and from my experience it seems that being ex military seems to stand you well for working offshore. Ive just got back from 9 weeks out on a boat and it was much more pleasant than 18 weeks on the flight line in Bastion so im sure you will adapt to it fine. The HNC that you are studying for will definately help you out as well, are you still serving or have you left yet? if your still in I would maybe look at using your resettlement money to do your offshore survival, after you claim back for it you will probably only have to pay about £250 for it and it might show prospective employers that you are really keen to get offshore. I do know that quite a big ROV outfit that uses Magnum ROV’s and operates out of Singapore would be very keen to recieve a C.V like yours and I would be very surprised if you didn’t get offered an interview 😉 all the best!!!

michael kilby
    Participant

Mike,
    little bit cheeky but could you pm me the details of that company. I’mex avionics tech REME, done my BOISET and looking to get into ROVs

Cheers

Mick

Richard Slater
    Participant

Cheers Mike, I’m seeing the resettlement bloke on Friday to start the ball rolling, seeing as I’ll de-mob 10 Nov 13. First thing will indeed be the BOSIET and MIST with the resettlement money. With that on my CV it at least shows that I have put some considerable thought into it and it’s not some ‘flash in the pan’ idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar