Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner dazed and confused!

dazed and confused!

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner dazed and confused!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mick
    Participant

After spending alot of time doing my homework, reading all these forums and taking in various advice for several months now. I am getting a bit dishartened. After originally looking at doing a course in Fort Bill, but then by chance got a start as a trainee, unfortunetly bad luck the job fell through at last minute, I then carried on applying to rov companies direct. Being a mechanic by trade, and experience working offshore, I listened to the advice of people saying don’t bother with the courses. But have had many knock backs from various companies. I get frustrated when I hear stories of plumbers who have done an rov course and then get a job, so when I do hear this it makes me think again about doing a course. I was at the point of thinking I don’t have what companies are looking for and to start making myself more employable by doing an electronics course, from reading many of Ray shields well adviced replies to people.
    Also after reading Paul B’s responses from the underwater centre, makes me wonder whether I am doing the right thing.
    So I find myself dazed and confused as what to really think about the courses. When all said and done I know it is different for all individuals looking to get into the industry at the end of the day it is down to commitment, perseverance and having the right attitude, and by the sounds of most alot of luck.

Oh what to do!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Did you get any feedback at all from any of the companies you applied to?

Mick
    Participant

A couple said they want more of a Technical background, and a couple said the usual have no place at the moment but will keep me on file for the next three months. Alot don’t even reply,obviously no interest. I understand the more technical comments I agree, just don’t understand when people with less skills and experiance than I have, manage to get jobs.

Ray Shields
    Participant

You said it already, luck.

Luck, knowing someone who knows someone, right handshake, golfing buddies, drinking buddies, right place at the right time.

We’ve all heard the taxi driver who got a job so why can’t I stories. It really does skew any advice on how to get into ROV work. Most of teh advice given here is based on how the MAJORITy of people get jobs. You always get the odd curveball.

So now you know, you need more skills, qualifications, take up golf, go drinking with the right people, practise your handshake with your trouser leg rolled up and get to know someone!

That should almost guarantee you a job… ๐Ÿ˜€

Mick
    Participant

Hahaha, nice one cheers Ray, maybe I should join the rov freemason’s. On a serious note I know I have to get some technical qualifications, may take longer but is the way forward. On with the grind of 9-5.

Dunc
    Participant

Hey Mick,

Am in the same boat fella (no pun intended). I have technical background as does a mate, who is also trying to enter this minefield. Like the others say, it does take quals, lots of luck but most of all persaverance. The taxi driver as Ray put it may have made it…but how long did it take him?.

Keep ploddin away mate, keep sending the cv’s and climb as far up the relevant companies ass as possible, until they have to scratch the itch you leave.

You could always try and enter the oil and gas engineering side of the rigs then sideline later???, hell i got 2 requests for interview today, i’ll go look and see how i get on, but eventually i HOPE to end up in ROV’s.

Tomorrows another day and you dont know whats round the corner.

Good luck fella ๐Ÿ˜€

Optic
    Participant

Ja well, sitting in the same confused and dazed state. I have wondered, thought & researched this ROV career option and deceided to go for it. As for doing the course in FW being from South Africa and the Rand \Pound rate being what it is I need to win the lotto to afford it. I have a a few years of Electrical and Electronic and IT experience and qualifications and feel that I should be able to fit in with the profile and requirements of the job. Now just to get the companies interested in my CV. So sending lots of mail to follow.
    Does anyone know of a trainee position with a company, willing to work in North Africa and one plus point the company gets to buy cheap flight ticketsโ€ฆโ€ฆ.. one can hope

Thanx for a very informative site.
    ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Ray Shields
    Participant

Its always worth while trying to get a job before doing any training course – you might be surprised and get a job with out it ๐Ÿ™‚

You would think it would be cheaper, wouldn’t you? However the people from S Africa that we have employed via Agencys always seemed to get flown to Paris and then down to N Africa. Wierd, but there are no easy/cheap connections from S Africa to the likes of Tripoli, Cairo etc.

Your best bet to make yourself hirable is to offer to work in W Africa. They are desperate for people to work there and it is easier to fly S Africa direct. Of cousre the reason they are desperate is there a fair few people wont work there because its so dangerous/bad conditions. But if you want a start. Technip and Oceaneering have loads of work down there.

Hot Stab
    Participant

Oceaneering !

Just took on a heap of South Africans, Im sure will take on more.
    The reason why there taking on so many South Africans, is that they have good technical skill and are very cheap labour ! Much cheaper than the UK resisdents.

Hotstab

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Some people trying to get a break right now (in Europe) need to consider that winter is here. There will be less work around and those with experience may be looking to do a few trips themselves before and after Christmas/New year.

A few year back new starts could pretty much forget getting work between [say] Oct-Apr anyway. Yeah for sure the industry is busy now and you may well get work but an element of that still applies.

best regards
    James

shocker69
    Participant

part of the reason Oceaneering is taking on Africans is to fill quotas required by governments

suby
    Participant

Acergy also took on a few South Africans, and they are getting the same money as the Brits.

Hot Stab
    Participant

part of the reason Oceaneering is taking on Africans is to fill quotas required by governments

Yes they are taking on the local Nigerians, Angolan’s etc, to meet goverment requirments in what country they are working. But the expat south africans are getting ripped. The non UK personel arent much better

Its good to see Acergy is paying the same, no matter where your from !

Hotstab

Optic
    Participant

Thanx for all the feedback, does anyone know what medical cert I should have to work in West Africa. I have seen all the other for Europe but does that include Africa?

SteadyEddie
    Participant

Mick, in response to your post….if you’ve been applying for trainee positions for the past 7 months and you’ve not got any offers then there’s something wrong. In general they seem to be looking for electrical/electronic quals and experience but there has still been a lot of mech guys taken on….a lot of them including the electrical guys are in my mind chancers who have no real background or quals but have been taken on trust and there background checks/references have not been followed through.
    My advice to you (if you have a solid mech background) would be to enrol on an electrical/electronic course, ideally hnc….. maybe nowadays it can be done via open learning….make sure your cv is accurate and consice ( 2 page max.) and start hand delivering with a good covering letter.
    Don’t try and be a cheating b*****d……your only cheating yourself and any sub eng or super worth his salt will suss you out in an instant, it’ll get reported back to base and you may not get the boot but you’ll be marked with the rest of the dross for future reference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar