Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Debating JamesMC’s decision to comment in agency forum

Debating JamesMC’s decision to comment in agency forum

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Debating JamesMC’s decision to comment in agency forum

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Etienne Demers
    Participant

Please read JamesMC’s post in ROV/AUV Agency Requirements:

Sticky: PLEASE READ! – Before posting in this section – PLEASE READ!

Although I understand where he is coming from, I disagree with him. We should be able to express ourselves with regards to job posted by agencies. In the end I do not see how it makes the section "Counter productive". Agencies post, and everyone see their offers.

Where else can we tell agencies when they are out of place?

Perhaps, if the general feeling of a majority of members find that James should change his mind, he might revert his decision.

It would be nice to get the thoughts of some agency people…

Cheers

James McLauchlan
    Participant

To save people hunting it down…… This is the content posted in the Agencies Vacancies section:

To all

This section has been incorporated into the Forum to give Agencies a section to advertise their ROV personnel requirements plus give regular Forum members a chance to find work.
    We have added these guidelines because, in the past, we have seen this section being disrupted by members hijacking threads which has proven to be counter-productive.

GUIDELINES

AGENCIES should provide:

• As much job information as possible to include (but not limited to) type of system, duration, location, position available and experience required.
    • Full Agency contact information, to include phone numbers, email and website URL.

FORUM MEMBERS

Should respond to the job on offer by PM or email. Do not simply reply to a post as you may not receive a response.

• Should not start a debate in this section about the merits of a certain agency, or start a discussion about a job on offer.
    • Wishing to discuss an agency or a certain job being advertised should do so by starting another thread in the Employment Discussion section.

Note:
    In an effort to keep this section as functional as possible any posts that fall outwith the guidelines may be deleted without notice.

I have based my decision on years of past experience on this subject.

In the past it has been proven that when we allow people to comment on jobs being posted the threads often develop into a general a discussion about agencies, or companies, who is running them, who moved from what agency/company to where.
    Allowing the above to take place often results in some people having to step in and defend or correct issues such as where they worked before, or whatever. I have seen threads drift away entirely from the basic idea of posting a specific vacancy.
    Later what happens is representatives of agencies and companies stop posting vacancies because those that do get the feeling that each time they post they need to justify their actions.
    It’s taken some time to get the agencies and companies back to posting with any regularity and I for one do not wish to lose them again.

So guidelines allow the vacancies be posted and left untouched as a job advert. After all when a news paper posts a job people don’t write in and ask them all sorts questions and then ask them to include all that onto the end of the ad do they?

I’m not saying don’t debate particular jobs, ROV operator companies or agencies, I’m just saying do it in the Employment discussion area and not is the job vacancies section. It is in the interest of all or members to have a a vacancies/job section that is tidy with regular jobs added on a daily basis. The guidelines will assist in helping it stay that way.

Some of the members that have been with us for years will know where I am coming from on this.

Comments?

DJansen
    Participant

I’m with James on this.. The section should be for posting work opotunities and not become an agency slagging ground..

However I do believe that if somebody has a bad experience or has important knowledge regarding an agency . ie. they don’t pay on time or they offer poor service etc they should be able to warn others of the fact.. This is expecially true of the newer agencies that may be ‘one man bands’ and don’t have a proven track record.. Only my two cents worth… It’s James’s board an I think he should be able to run it as he sees fit.. Whatever the consequences.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

……………. However I do believe that if somebody has a bad experience or has important knowledge regarding an agency . ie. they don’t pay on time or they offer poor service etc they should be able to warn others of the fact.. This is expecially true of the newer agencies that may be ‘one man bands’ and don’t have a proven track record…………….

Thanks for your input.

People can do just as you suggest in other areas of the Forum but the vacancies section will remain as as an area where jobs can be posted but debates will not be allowed.

I do believe that already we are starting to see an increase in jobs posted, an element of that might be seasonal adjustment, but some may also be due to the new policy now in force.

T-Boy
    Participant

Where else can we tell agencies when they are out of place?

This should be done between the contractor and agency, not posted on a forum beneath a job advertisment so that it can potentially turn into a slagging match.

So separate posting in a separate section is the way forward.

We need to attract companies wanting to advertise, not deter them…savvy?

T

DJansen
    Participant

……………. However I do believe that if somebody has a bad experience or has important knowledge regarding an agency . ie. they don’t pay on time or they offer poor service etc they should be able to warn others of the fact.. This is expecially true of the newer agencies that may be ‘one man bands’ and don’t have a proven track record…………….

Thanks for your input.

People can do just as you suggest in other areas of the Forum but the vacancies section will remain as as an area where jobs can be posted but debates will not be allowed.

I do believe that already we are starting to see an increase in jobs posted, an element of that might be seasonal adjustment, but some may also be due to the new policy now in force.

No probs James.. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough when I said guys should be able to warn others.. I meant in the appropriate forum and not in the ‘Jobs’ thread… Simple rules like you are proposing can only be an improvement and will help to eliminate the worthless ‘Thread fooking’ posts.. :tup:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar