Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? DOF Subsea Order Ten Triton XLX systems from PSSL

DOF Subsea Order Ten Triton XLX systems from PSSL

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? DOF Subsea Order Ten Triton XLX systems from PSSL

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ah Lost,

Mind technology would work except the fact that most of us have destroyed too many brain cells during "The seven drunken nights (and other things)" and come to think of it, how would it work when one is playing ones PSP and / or watching a skin flick whilst on the sticks???

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Interesting scenerio , My dear chap 🙂
    I’m surprised you can find the time on the grueling ‘Minge’ contract 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Interesting scenerio , My dear chap 🙂
    I’m surprised you can find the time on the grueling ‘Minge’ contract 😀

Grueling??? Yawn, yawn p/form insps. grueling????? And yes, I still have time to do the paperwork, make out the reqs, PMS daily – weekly – monthly, and new inventory worksheet. Vis and current suck tho’ day shift lads get the most WOW and WO current the most – parsh!!

Martin Wareham
    Participant

The ICE control system uses both Windows and QNX. Windows for the GUI (dual redundant) and QNX for the control. They talk to each other via Ethernet.

QNX is a really cool operating system where memory spaces are not contiguous and are individualy assigned to processes therefore ensuring one process cannot corrupt another’s memory space. I was fortunate enough to go on a QNX training course in Canada (unfortunatley it was in Winter -35oC ……… chilly) and they produce a very well designed product.

A lot of people in the ROV industry seem to have a bit of a downer on controlling things with Windows. I agree in the early days, pre Windows 2000 that the blue screen was an all too frequent event but since then the only time I’ve seen blue screens is when hardware "s***s the bed".

As it is possible with Windows to corrupt another process with badly written software this is the only real downside I can see but if you keep other software off of the control computer this problem is really eliminated.

Sorry if this sounds a bit geeky 😉 but it’s the way the industry is heading. I’m not sure mind control is here yet but never say never 😆

Martin

rovbionic
    Participant

I believe DOF are the first contractor who have the new Schilling UHD’s
    yet are optioning to build thier fleet with no more of them.

Worked on Acergy’s custom Schilling UHD’s and Allseas UHD’s.Both models still have TMS issues even with more upgrades than my Chevy 4×4 truck

Too technical for most troops not to mention attempting to operate with crews that have not done the course nor are interested in opening up a manual (Allseas had to get Canyon & Technip to finish the job)

Good on DOF

Steve
    Participant

Theyre going for Triton XLX`s now are they?

slayer
    Participant

No. 1 & 2 have been back at Davis for upgrade before installed at Skandi Bergen. 3 & 4 still as delivered from Schilling (more or less..)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar