Home Forums General General Board Electronic, Electrical or Hydraulic

Electronic, Electrical or Hydraulic

Home Forums General General Board Electronic, Electrical or Hydraulic

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rovjas
    Participant

what i dont understand is why people think so bad of the courses??

i have done course, fair enough i haven’t managed to get work yet which i know i will need to keep trying, but surely someone who has done a few hours of so flying and has an understanding of all the things to do with an rov is of more work than someone that none of that??

two of the guy from mt course went straight into work with furgo as trainee’s on very respectable wages so obviously the courses aren’t useless?

Ray Shields
    Participant

what i dont understand is why people think so bad of the courses??

two of the guy from mt course went straight into work with furgo as trainee’s on very respectable wages so obviously the courses aren’t useless?

Did they start in November or are they just starting now?

I know one who has just started now who did the Fort William course. I can honestly say that the fact the course was on their CVs was a SLIGHT advantage, but they require the appropriate technical background and experience even more than this.

The bad feeling of courses stems back to years ago when most courses were a complete rip off. They taught you very little, charged you a fortune and told you you were Gods Gift to ROVs.

From what I hear, the Fort William course is quite a good one, albeit quite expensive (about £7k?). Howevere there are also still companies about who put you through a course and then tell you you are an IMCA certified (no such thing) Pilot Tech 2 which is complete BS.

Savante
    Participant

With regard to training, perhaps in the current climate,it would be more appropriate for companies to take on trainees WHILST they were going through an HNC qualification, perhaps on a distance learning basis.

I just came off a semi-sub in december where the supv onboard was reading for an HNC in electronics engineering. I think it’s a brilliant idea – for the very least reason that he’s getting transferrable qualifications.

Ray are your lot hiring trainees at the moment, I have an electrician who’s looking for a break in terms of getting his first trip offshore with the ROVs. He’s putting himself through his HUET at present, should be finished in 2 weeks time. You know of any short trip opportunties where you could take someone along?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray are your lot hiring trainees at the moment, I have an electrician who’s looking for a break in terms of getting his first trip offshore with the ROVs. He’s putting himself through his HUET at present, should be finished in 2 weeks time. You know of any short trip opportunties where you could take someone along?

We are taking on 8 trainees every 2 months. Unless you are already a qualified EXPERIENCED pilot, you will be put through the 4 week training course and then survival. This is why I say doing your own medical/survival beforehand using your own money is a waste.

He can apply for a trainee position if he wants, drop me a PM. He wont get to go and "try" a trip offshore – gotta be an employee or through an Agency or not covered by insurance.

Depending on his background, he would be well suitable. The people taking on have technical backgrounds, that is what they are looking for.

Ian Stephen
    Participant

Wump

the regular posters on this site have offered all the best advice so far, but i thought i would add my penneth!! 😉 the short courses can be helpful, if you already have a degree of technical experience. i had an HNC and 12 years engineering experience before completing the 3 week course at subserve in windermere. this offered a great insite into what went on offshore prior to me actually going offshore, but the technical knowledge imparted would not have fitted into a pint pot!!!! it helped me understand terminology and may have helped get mty start. i would not however recommend these courses for someone with no technical experience trying to get into the game, as you would be wasting your money. i think ray has it spot on with the nvq’s and work experience

hope this helps and does not add confusion

Dawg

Anonymous

To Wump and All,

Been working now for only roughly 18 monthsin ROV but been at sea most of my working life, wealth of expeience in electronics DC to daylight as they say; however

1. Word of mouth is best e’g. work for survey or oil related shore-based/field-eng industry in mech/.electronics fields initially
    .;or even for for mech types mining sort of jobs (shows willing to rough it and drink copiuous beer)

2. The sytem seem to to be crying out for people at the moment but it’s the old story "no experience no start " but gettig there is truly the hardest part refer step 1.

Apologies for nay mistakes in advance (don’t mind San Mig!!!). AND NO I’m not writng this on watch/tour (not super)

Cheers All,

San Mig, Tsingtao or Glenlivet please! 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar