Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Electronics

Electronics

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Electronics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Hi
    Like most people currently leaving the military, I’ve booked on a ROV course.
    I have a primarily mechanical background with a secondary role in electrics.
    However, my knowledge of electronics is very basic.
    Is that likely to make life difficult? Do I need to head to the library?
    Cheers

Colin Gaskin
    Participant

Hello there,

Just starting out myself after leaving for civvi street a couple of years ago. Was recomended by a trg provider to get this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Dummies-UK-Dickon-Ross/dp/0470681780

Still waiting for the bloody thing to arrive, either there is a run on Potential ROV Trainees like me out there or the weather has taken its toll. Either way may be worth a look? Good luck with going into the commercial world.

Burma

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would suggest getting further course/qualifications/experience in basic electrics and hydraulics. These are the two main areas required.

You will mainly NOT be going down to fault finding to individual components these days, most tends to be down to board level, though soldering should be capable for splicing cables, etc.

An ROV Course is basically an introduction so that you have an idea of what ROVs are and what they do. Most employers are more interested in your technical skills and experience.

Read through the Rookie section on here for a lot of commonly asked questions.

David
    Participant

Thanks guys for the replies.

Burma – spookily that was the book I was going to get.

Ray – I’m ok with hydraulics and electrics, its just electronics I’m not experienced with.

Dave

Ray Shields
    Participant

If not already familiar, I would also suggest knowledge of basic networking, IP addresses, USB hubs etc. as these are also now becoming a lot more common on modern ROV systems

David
    Participant

Thanks Ray
    F***!
    It looks like I know even less than I thought!

Colin Gaskin
    Participant

Got my book today and OMFG! Talk about light reading ha ha. At least I have plenty of time to read it now.

John Bridgett
    Participant

If not already familiar, I would also suggest knowledge of basic networking, IP addresses, USB hubs etc. as these are also now becoming a lot more common on modern ROV systems

On the IP addressing pay a lot of attention to subnet masks, on a recent trip a well experienced supervisor came very unstuck with this.

Lots of good stuff about it if you google it, read up and understandbinary first though.

IS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar