Home Forums General Interesting Websites Electronics Distance Learning.

Electronics Distance Learning.

Home Forums General Interesting Websites Electronics Distance Learning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jimbo
    Participant

Hi all,
    Can anyone suggest a suitable college for an electronics distance learning course that will let you gain a meaningful qualification at the end of it?
    I have recently done an electronics course and want to continue learning but work commitments will prevent night school, etc.
    I’ve Googled it but can’t find anything suitable.
    Cheers.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Firstly – which country!! Remember this is a global forum.

Assuming UK, which part of the UK? Try your local college for distance learning, you are looking at anything that gives you an SVQ or NVQ or City & Guilds for it to be recognised.

Try Aberdeen College, I did a good SVQ in Hydraulics through them a few years back.

Jed
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Ray.
    I’m UK based in South West but not found anything locally. It was an SVQ course that I had already completed in electronics and was looking perhaps towards ONC in same subject. But whatever the qualification I wanted to keep learning.
    But I will definitely be looking at hydraulics at Aberdeen too.
    Cheers,

Ray Shields
    Participant

Do a Google search with "distance learning" and the name of some local colleges or Unis and see what comes up.

Also have a look at http://www.colu.co.uk/. They supply the course, the local college/uni does the tutoring and assessments. I think it was them I used for my HNC many years ago.

Jed
    Participant

Thanks again Ray,
    Yes I’ve Googled local colleges etc for info and found nothing so far. But I think I may have found what I need at Colu.co.uk. It’s certainly the most promising lead so far. Excellent, many thanks.
    😀

Eivind
    Participant

As mentioned before, COLU is the thing. I’m doing a HNC in Electrical engineering on a distance learning. Live in Thailand by the way. Very good support, and good subjects.

Cheers

EB

Jake_
    Participant

Has anybody taken this course? http://www.etcourse.com/

I’m located in Iraq so I need a course that will be 100% online / home study. If anyone has any other recommendations that I can work on without needing to test in person please post them.

Norwegian_Dude
    Participant

After doing alot of research before I started mine HNC in Electrical engineering education online, I ended up with COLU university as mentioned before. I does not matter where you live, the units are emailed to you and there is no exam. Each unit are approved by a set up assignments your tutor send you.

The course you mention seems good too, but I could not find that it was HNC approved. The HNC seems to be a good standard around the globe.

Cheers

Jake_
    Participant

Thanks. For some reason I was under the impression you needed to show up for testing.

tiny9095
    Participant

Hi guys

I am looking to start out what is the best path for me to take as it must be home study?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hi guys

I am looking to start out what is the best path for me to take as it must be home study?

In which country?

If UK, it most be a nationally recognised course such as SVQ, NVQs, HNC, City & Guilds etc. otherwise you will waste your time.

See the above information, check out your local college for distance learning courses, find out what courses COLU (Cleveland Open Learning Unit) do.

Norwegian_Dude
    Participant

Many people ask the same question here…. "Where are you from?".

Hehe, it does not really matter as long as you can read and write English. Most of the universities are in the UK, but you can register and receive your study units through email.

I myself study a HNC degree in Electronics through COLU and I currently live in Thailand. You just have to register on the university and you will be given a tutor that will send you the units you need to study. After you finish a unit, you will have to do TMA’s (Tutor Marked Assignments) and send to your tutor. They will mark it and let you know the result. There is no official exam. On some tests you will also have to prove that the work is yours through phone interviews or web cam sessions. Once you have finished the core units and the option units and have reached 12 grade points you will obtain the HNC diploma. (Without setting one single foot inside the university campus)

Another university that offers HNC distance learning is Logis Tech in the UK. Both have HNC in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical engineering.

To enter a HNC program, the university have to evalute your previous studies and see if you qualify. If you do not qualify, you will have to attend a bridging module in Math. (Distance learning off course). This module took me about one month to finish. After this module is marked and passed you are approved to start the real HNC of your choice.

Check out http://www.colu.co.uk/ or http://www.logis-tech.co.uk/ for more information

Cheers

ND

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hehe, it does not really matter as long as you can read and write English. Most of the universities are in the UK, but you can register and receive your study units through email.

To enter a HNC program, the university have to evalute your previous studies and see if you qualify. If you do not qualify, you will have to attend a bridging module in Math. (Distance learning off course). This module took me about one month to finish. After this module is marked and passed you are approved to start the real HNC of your choice.

It still matters which country to know what qualifications your country recognises. Would an HNC from the UK count as a qualification if you were an American applying for a job in America? No idea

And as its the UK you are talking about its Maths (Mathematics). Not our fault the Yanks cannot say it properly 🙂

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

It still matters which country to know what qualifications your country recognises. Would an HNC from the UK count as a qualification if you were an American applying for a job in America? No idea

And as its the UK you are talking about its Maths (Mathematics). Not our fault the Yanks cannot say it properly 🙂

It’s water (wah-ter) not Whoa-tah (UK) …. Ray you can be…… sometimes.

Anonymous

Or indeed watter where I originate.

One of the better things re learning in general in Oz, is that they have what is known as RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). Better in the sense that it reduces the amount of graft required, not necessarily in enforcing standards.

Using RPL you can minimise the number of modules required in any course providing you can demonstrate, for example that you have worked an ROV for some time and have completed various competencies note that it’s not the competencies per se that are important, it is exposure to processes, technologies and systems pertinent to the desired field of study.

I have to laugh for example at technical colleges (TAFES in Oz) issuing a Cert IV (SVQ equivalent) for ROV Operations after three weeks in a classroom when any other technical course would take two years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar