Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion ETO (10 yrs Deep Sea,10 yrs DP MRV) looking for ROV Work

ETO (10 yrs Deep Sea,10 yrs DP MRV) looking for ROV Work

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion ETO (10 yrs Deep Sea,10 yrs DP MRV) looking for ROV Work

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    barett
    Participant

hi ROV Gurus,
    am looking for rov work…..
    have recently completed a 3 week ROV training course under IMCA guidelines flying Seabotix Lbv150 and subatlantic Navajo got about 30 hrs flight time on each…also completed Opito Bosiet and H2S… Have a B.Tech in Marine Electronics, Diploma in Elect Engg, Post Diploma In Instrumentation & Control Engineering, Radar Maintenance Cert, Electronics Eqpt Maintenance cert – all from UK…working offshore last 10 years as DP/MRV ETO in Doha, Qatar….willing to start life all over again from the bottom rung of the ROV…can anyone tell me if i’m desirable enough to start as a ROV technician…..i think i can repair anything that limps…..
    am an indian born and bred in east africa, educated and cultured in the UK, try find roots in india but found nirvana in Philippines……
    thanks in advance folks

Cabledog
    Participant

Barret

And I thought I had been around abit!!! Where did you do the course and how do you/others on the course rate it. Was it worth the cash, did it cover enough of things required to at least do the basic maintenance on the craft etc. All info you can supply will help all the others trying to get started in this indusrty to work out if the courses are worth doing or not.

Good luck in getting going
    Cabledog

barett
    Participant

cabledog
    did the course in the land of my fantasy….philippines….run by Subnet Services… Gordon Sherry…conducted by melanie sullivan… lots of hands on experience flying the SeaBotix and Navajo in the cool waters of the Subic Bay..ours was the first batch (Jan 2007)…so helped set up the workshop..the same way I did for the ETO Workshop on the Khataff(ex British Argyll) 10 years back…technical content was sparse…speaking for myself and the likes of yourself we wouldnt have any problem troubleshooting,repair,maintain and overhauling any damn thing that is if all the circuit diagrams are kept upto date…’was it worth the cash’…was not really bothered as I was planning a holiday there anyway…tell u what man..you gotta treat yourself right from time to time…the best part of this course was the accomodation…the bluerock hotel (www.bluerocksubic.com)…I tell u cabledog if ever u feel like an 80 year old and want to turn the clock back to an 18 year old…take the first flight out to this place….you’ll come back with a twinkle in your eye….with maybe a small hole in your pocket……seriously my logic was that at least I would have some fighting chance with a ROV cert and Logbook with about 60 flying hours in hand……scary thought though when ‘piedpiper’ said in one of his posts that you come back and join the dole que… which is where I am at the moment…..hope i dont have to stand out in the sun too long…. 🙄
    best of luck mate
    barrett

Cabledog
    Participant

Barett,

Funny old thing, I was looking at going out there to do the course, had been put of somewhat by the comments in other areas of the forum, but having read what ROVTRAIN wrote in ROV TRAINING PLUS OTHER TRAINING I may well give it a shot. I have not been diving in Subic for about 8 years now anyway so what the hell. 😛 😛

Good luck for the future
    Cabledog

Abrasive
    Participant

Cabledog

Do what the other guys said before you waste your money and get your CV out there to the companies, if you have not already got them get your offshore survival and medical done first, that would be a better use of your money.

All the best

Abrasive

argh-o-vee
    Participant

The old blue rock you say Barett, brings back a few memories, was stationed in pubic bay for a while myself. prefer going there to muff divers etc. 😉

The course seems a good idea to get out there and shag your self stupid!!! 😛

piedpiper
    Participant

Cabledog, get yerself a start then go out there and treat yerself.

piedpiper

Cabledog
    Participant

Working on it dude 😆

It’s taking a little time to regig the old CV as it has been 4 years now since I was at sea. Need to get it right.

Cabledog

argh-o-vee
    Participant

You know it makes sense cabledog!! 😉

Che
    Participant

Is the good ship Cable Retriever still on station in Subic. Its a mad ol town, spesh Barrio Baretto

barett
    Participant

Bario Baretto full of girly bars….didnt get time to lift my head and see any ships che……
    will check out next time if gordon runs any refresher courses…
    Barett of Bario Baretto

argh-o-vee
    Participant

Yes Che the Retriever is still stationed in Subic, not that the guys spend a lot of time there these days as its been pretty busy from what I heard.

Its been off Taiwan repairing the cables damaged in the earthquake.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar