Home Forums ROV ROV Personnel Available For Work Ex Military Firefighter Looking for ROV work.

Ex Military Firefighter Looking for ROV work.

Home Forums ROV ROV Personnel Available For Work Ex Military Firefighter Looking for ROV work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jed
    Participant

I’m an ex British military Fire Officer, 15 years Royal Air Force, 12 years Royal Navy.
    I have 8 years experience in computer building/repair with my own part time business and I have worked for two years in industrial engineering, I’ve experience with mechanics, hydraulics and servicing, welding (MiG/stick) and high pressure air systems and its servicing.
    I was trained on Seaeye Falcon ROV’s at the Underwater Center.

I am also a qualified ALST.

I have my Universal Survival and Norwegian medical and can start work immediately.

And for those of you that might want to take the time to look….here’s a short vid of my flying at the UWC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9FyBCCiLuo

Ray Shields
    Participant

Quote from you :-

I’m at the UWC on the 21st July. As an ex Fire Officer I’ll have no previous (or so it seems) usefull background experience. I have the strong feeling that £12,000 is about to be wasted.

Have you still got that feeling?

Jed
    Participant

Well, after finishing the course and then spending days going around the big firms in Aberdeen to speak personally to the HR people and give them my CV and sending out 70+ CVs all around the world I am still well and truly unemployed.
    So you can imagine how I feel about that.
    Though I try to stay positive and keep ploughing out my CV.
    But predominantly the answer I receive is that more experience is required and until I get that it’s a no go. The usual Catch 22.
    My past experience at present seems to mean little.
    I do get the feeling I’M being wasted.

Ray Shields
    Participant

So have the companies you have been speaking to said that the course you did at the Underwater Centre counts for nothing? There are always big debates on the board here about whether doing these courses are 1) worth doing at all or 2) worth the money you have to pay out.

I do keep telling people who are trying to get into the industry that you do need a technical qualification and experience background.

The best advice ever given by an Ops Manager "I want to take on Engineers and train them about ROVs – not take people on and teach them to be Engineers"

Jed
    Participant

The companies have said nothing about the UWC course. It’s usually just a familiar rather formulaic reply of "you’re not required at this time. Please try again later." No reasons for refusal given.
    I can see the logic in taking personnel that have technical skills and giving them ROV training. Though as I have seen quite a few times in my career academic ability is no guarantee of good practical abilities or of team working or for that matter common sense. This of course works both ways.
    What I can’t understand is occasionally I’ve met folks who have been recruited by big firms who have absolutely no Techy type qualifications at all or for that matter anything of relevance to the ROV world in general.
    The best of luck to them but it really puzzles me 😕

Ray Shields
    Participant

What I can’t understand is occasionally I’ve met folks who have been recruited by big firms who have absolutely no Techy type qualifications at all or for that matter anything of relevance to the ROV world in general.
    The best of luck to them but it really puzzles me 😕

Its called "knowing someone" or "right place at the right time". There is no logic to it and we have all met people like that. The problem is that most peiople think well if he can get it so can I, but the odds are stacked against you.

I agree that academic skills dont necessarily equate to ability to do job, but I did say relevant technical qualifications and EXPERIENCE. If you have the bits of paper AND have been working on a job that has made use of it, then it is relevant.

Jed
    Participant

I think I have to agree with you…It really does seems to be a "who you know" type of thing…and seeing as I know no-one on the "inside" and I don’t think there are any altruistic benefactors who will give me a job, it’s a depressing conclusion.
    So…anyone help me get a Roustabout job? I may be qualified to do that. No, I’m serious ❗

reg
    Participant

Most rousties that I know are fairly young guys.

From your experience i’m guessing you must be in your 50’s.
    Perhaps there are younger candidates?
    There are a lot of people applying for work in these "credit crunch" days, quite often young guys have less commitments and will accept lower day rates for longer periods. They are interested in the training that companies can give.
    Older guys can often have a mortgage or other commitments so are driven by other factors. Money can be more important than learning to be a good ROV guy. FW does not make ROV guys, They are a business that are selling a course.

MAYBE, just MAYBE, there are a lot of VERY highly qualified guys looking for work and you are not in the running.

Jed
    Participant

I’m 47 are you saying I’m not a runner for this job either because of my age?

SewerPipe
    Participant

You do realise Jim, there are other places in the world to look for work other than the UK!!!!!

Jed
    Participant

and sending out 70+ CVs all around the world

Thank you…yes I’m aware of that.

kangaroo
    Participant

Jim,

Have you thought about giving some of the Sub Sea Well Service Companies a call?

Cameron, Aver Kværner?

They have both elec/control system and Mech/Hyd Techs.

May get you a start in offshore work.

Jed
    Participant

Many thanks for that…I’ll search them out and give them a try 😀

blackbeard
    Participant

I’m 47 are you saying I’m not a runner for this job either because of my age?

yes. not as a roustabout anyway, WAY to old, its a young guys game, and to be truthful i doubt you will get in to rov either, too much competition from younger guys with a better background, UNLESS you know somebody …..

and sending out 70+ CVs all around the world

again, what company is going to recruit a raw trainee from the other side of the world UNLESS somebody is speaking up for you and saying they will take you under there wing? or you have a superb background?

try a service company? wire line ect?

SewerPipe
    Participant

Have you considered also the Survey field, they always need tech’s and some survey companies such as Fugro also provide ROV services.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar