Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner EX military Fitter and turner seeks employment.

EX military Fitter and turner seeks employment.

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner EX military Fitter and turner seeks employment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MikeW
    Participant

Hey howsit going guys,
    Ive just completed my apprentiship as a fitter and turner and am looking to branch into off shore work particualy in the rov sector.
    I started my training in the RNZAF as an aircraft technician and re- mustered into a civilian trade (fitting and turning) after the completion of my initial trade training.
    Im after an idea about the state of the industry at the moment and the possibility of employment.
    If anyone has any comments or contacts they would wish to pass onto me feel free.

Cheers
    Mike.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Same advice as the other dozen people who send the same message onto these forums every week (hence why so many newcomers get the same sarcy response usually!) – read through all the messages and replies to others that have been posted on here (especially in the Rookies section). Read through the FAQ section (link on the left hand side).

You need to have good electrical, electronic and hydraulic skills and experience to work offshore. You need these as a number one priority, if you dont have these you are pissing in the wind as there are lots of other more suitable people out there going to get work before you. ROV training schools MAY be of some benefit to some people (as long as you have the skiills I mentioned) but they are very expensive and only provide a very BASIC overview of ROVs – you are in no way fully qualified once you have completed them no matter what they tell you.

So have a read through the forum, read the FAQ on laying out your CV, see if you have the suitable qualifications and experience. If not, consider doing some courses to increase your skills in the areas you are lacking. Get the details on here about what ROv companies are where and start applying for trainee positions.

PS you dont need to post the same message in more than one section of the site – all that does is annoy people 😀

MikeW
    Participant

Cheers thanks for the help mate.
    Ive got resonably broad experence with hydraulics in both aviation and industrial situations and some experence with Aircraft avionics and electrical systems.
    Ill look into the FAQs at the cv layout you mentioned and make a move from there.

Cheers,
    Mike

backeyeburner
    Participant

I agree with ratshields mate, one of the trianing schools may help and indeed it cant do any harm on your CV, but be warned no matter what they say you will only get a very small insight into the ROV world.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar