Home Forums ROV International ROV Related Associations First amendable drafts ROV Association

First amendable drafts ROV Association

Home Forums ROV International ROV Related Associations First amendable drafts ROV Association

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    thomas
    Participant

Lostboy,
    Thankyou on your further imput on this point.

Im not sure,having read your post a number of times,exactly the point you are making.

I believe you are against any trainee membership,as to the reasons why,I cant,at present ,quite comprehend your finer points.

I think you are saying that,to invite trainee membership of this association would change our definition ,as regarded by others,into a school or a union.

You are right,at this time we have the IMCA guidelines which will remain for the forseeable future.
    That is IMCA guidelines which as many will agree are very open to abuse and have been up to this day.

I am trying to get all ROV people together under our own umberella ,as an association,and under our rules,as opposed to guidelines.
    We will be able to resolve many of the unfair practices going on today, whereupon we see, on every job nearly,disparity on pay,reductions in pay,people being asked to work in danger zones without proper reward for taking that risk,totally unqualified people being paid maybe 100us per day taking up a position that should be paying full rate.

The only people benefiting, is the company or person who put them there, by charging the client full amount and paying only a pittance.

Clients are also at fault for allowing it to happen.

We have nobody in the world willing or able to address these faults in our industry so therefore it is my view that we should all start acting instead of talking about complaints.

The consequences of failing to do what has been started here ,is that we will increasingly see cheaper and cheaper bums on seats until many will leave our industry through the inability to get enough work to sustain themselves.

A couple of companies are already openly using cheap labour as the norm and keeping only a few experienced guys to carry the rest.

Why are they doing this?

They are doing this because initially they can, as there is no one to stop them,and they do….to give themselves the opportunity of reducing their rates and get an edge on their competitors.

This will continue and snowball until most who are in now, will be out, as other companies follow suit.

Luckyjim,
    Thanks for the imput.
    There is no reason not to use IMCA existing guidelines.I just think that what would become our rules should be pitched a little higher and tightened to stop the abuse.

Asianstallion,
    Thankyou for your comments.
    Maybe you are one of these people in our industry that are happy with their lot and have no need, or ambition, to help others change things,but please,instead of pulling the ladder up so to speak,why dont you try to help others by showing how you can sit in your position, without worrying about your future ,then maybe all of us will be happy.

If an association helped create better pay parity and conditions would you take those better conditions or refuse and stay as you are?

Good on you you are a member of IEE,.What, if anything ,will or can they do for ROV people?

thomas
    Participant

My view in forming an association….

It should be made up of……

Chairman responsable for…
    The overview of the association.
    The transparency of the association
    The guiding with others of the direction the association takes.
    Ensuring that all directions are to the benefit of the members.
    Ensuring the association is run in a proper manner.

Secretary…..

Responsable to the Chairman and the members for the prompt and proper administration of the association.

Treasurer….

Responsable to the Chairman and the members for the prompt and proper use and reporting of the associations monetary assets.

A steering commitee …

Made up of initially two knowledgable members of the association.
    Responsable to the Chairman and the members for steering the association on the agreed path.

To get this off the ground guys I would suggest the above for starters.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Justatot,

It is interesting to read the first fulll on negative response to your idea. Normally that has come from me as I do not like the Uni0n concept.
    However the concept of an association with proper standards and a structured memebership then that is a positive step forward.

If this was a voluntry thing to start with and did manage to gain enough membership then it would move on to the next level and start to get involved in pay scales and pushing the ROV companies and the wider Offshore industry to realise what we are capable of and where the industry could go in the future both in terms of technology and in personnel standards.

liddelljohn
    Participant

Who runs and funds IMCA ?????

vested interests such as the big companies, HSE bods, suppliers and training vendors do.

The actual contractors and workers have very little input into IMCA .
    A seperate ROV association could have similar effect as a union or trade standards body , certainly could use some of IMCA ideas but with more authoruity as it comes from the actual people doing the job rather tha businessmen and bureaucrats and so called technocrats .

I like what justatot is proposing it just needs some fettling to get a working independant ROV association going .

thomas
    Participant

I have pondered and pondered how we can get some numbers together for an association and I realised that it would be difficult from the start due to the past failures in helping our industry and the costs to our guys for zero return.

I am trying to put things together in some sensible form ,to show potential members, the possibility of what might happen in the future, if we can bond into a body, for the benefit of our future.

This route I have chosen,even though I have had many positive comments both openly and privately,seems to be easily bogged down.

For that reason I wish to offer a different tack.

I would like all ROV people ,who wish to be part of this, to show their willingness to participate ,by making contact with me.

Those people who do wish to participate, please spread the word and get other people to participate, until we have some workable numbers.

This will be at a cost of zero, and in return, I will firstly create a founder member register.I will create registered numbered certificates and get them to those members.
    I will try to create a logo and possibly some sort of sew on overall badge and get them to you.
    I will continue to work on our future needs and wants.
    I realise this may allow some non suitable initial members who would like to scuttle the idea, but make no mistake,those people who do wish this to fail, will be weeded out at a later stage.

So gents the way I see it ,by doing this, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Please think carefully and lets get it started.I will update the numbers on here as we go and still have discussions on future policy here but in the mean time lets get this going in the background.

thomas
    Participant

As of this time and date their is one registered founder member of the association known as IROVA.

thomas
    Participant

I have created an IROVA specific email,please register your interest here……..

register@irova.org

All detail received will remain confidential to me alone at this time.

Adriaan Grobler
    Participant

I think this is a good idea and hopefully will protect us ROV personnel from the abuse that is happening right now.
    How about getting the agencies’ input about this proposal?
    Let’s see where this goes.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

….Don’t wanna come across as negative or anything , but this all seems like hot air & bumping of gums!…..

Otherwise called a discussion which is what forums are used for.
    For an association to get off the ground it must be discussed first. For an idea such as this there is no mileage in acting fist and asking questions later IMHO.

thomas
    Participant

Thankyou Agrob
    I look forward to your support

thomas
    Participant

At this time the numbers stand at three and emails are coming in.

thomas
    Participant

Does anyone want to have a stab at some artwork for a logo and a circular badge,Im sure there are many more capable than me.

Numbers are at four maybe we will hit double figures by the end of the day.
    Thanks to all so far.

thomas
    Participant

Numbers are now at 0008

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I’ll start a new thread on that subject.

Does anyone want to have a stab at some artwork for a logo and a circular badge,Im sure there are many more capable than me.

Numbers are at four maybe we will hit double figures by the end of the day.
    Thanks to all so far.

thomas
    Participant

Just to let you know that the first 24hrs of this association has produced 12 founding members.
    Spread the word people lets make this happen for the good of us all.

I realise I havent posted much in the way of ideas in the last day but be sure I am very busy in the background for our good.

I am watching all posts and will respond as required.

Thanks to all support so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar