Home Forums General General Board First trip

First trip

Home Forums General General Board First trip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    daniboy1_2_3
    Participant

How do future workmates, i have just been offered a job with subsea 7 and would like to pick a few brains please. My first trip will be about mid may and i wondered if anyone would share a few stories of how their first trips went, what went wrong and right and any good advice you can think of. Not being a technician i know its going to be a struggle to grasp whats going on quickly and no doubt i`ll feel like a plank for a while. Anyway i look forward to anyones first trip story if you can be bothered!, cheers.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Depending on the team you are with, they may already have their "routines" they may be unsure of you or they may just be miserable bastids 😀

People forget what its like to be offshore for the first time, get on with their own jobs, see you standing about doing nothing and think "lazy bugger".

Meanwhile you are standing there, wondering what to do and waiting for someone to give you something to do. Even if you are not given something to do, FIND something, even if its cleaning up.

Ask questions, read the manuals, be busy. Follow someone as they do the job, watch what they do, ask them questions, get to know the routine jobs first, make the connections with the guys you are working with and you will enjoy your trip much better.

And at the other extreme, dont jump into jobs without knowing what you are doing, you will soon learn its safety safety safety. There is no point in doing a job quicker but unsafe – you will just be shouted at!

Mick
    Participant

Congrats Dannyboy,
    I have just been turned down by Subsea 7, they say they want someone with more of a technical background. I am a mechanic by trade, with marine experience. Do you mind me asking what background you have. Like Ray says ask lots of questions, show keen and willing, try not to get involved in the political stuff, goodluck.

daniboy1_2_3
    Participant

Hi there, thanks for the replies. I completed an ONC in engineering a while back and have a little bit of practical experience. I am not a technician however so will have to pick things up as i go along and like you say ask lots of questions. I was surprised i got through to be honest once i found out that it was not an apprenticeship as such, i would have thought you would have been more suitable than myself with your hands on experience. If you can get some electrical experience behind you by doing some college work i think you would stand a much better chance.

WillyV
    Participant

Hey DB,

I myself have just joined the same Co, down in Oz land though. 😯
    Ray has hit the nail on the head..Take time to get to know the crew. Find out what pushes whose buttons etc and try not too. Above all be keen and ask Qs.

The rig crew will be a little hard to get to know and will prob be stand offish as you are third party. When they see you around a few swings they should come good.

It is a pretty amazing job with heaps to learn. Enjoy..

WillyV

David
    Participant

Yep,

I agree the rig crew will be stand offish at first and then there will be those who you wish you could avoid getting to know. I think the main thing is to relax and not look like a newbie.

Also take extra care not to step on anyones toes. For example, if you need someones permission to do something (use the radio, get on the internet, etc) you should do the polite thing and ask.

learning things as fast as you can and staying up with manuals, paperwork, timesheets, expense accounts will make you fit in as well.

like your first day of high school all over again………….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar