Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Flight Engineer looking for advice on courses

Flight Engineer looking for advice on courses

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Flight Engineer looking for advice on courses

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    NeilM
    Participant

Hi all

I am a Flight Engineer with nearly 20 years experience. Due to an uncertain future I am looking to change jobs in around 2 years time. I therfore have 2 years to do as many courses and qualifications as possible. Having read this forum for some time I have an idea of what is required but wondered if anyone could give me specific advice. My job involves the management and operation of all aircraft systems including fault finding, diagnosis and emergency drills as part of a team. I guess some sort of HNC/HND in Electrical/Mechanical/Mecatronics is going to be my best bet but don’t want to waste time on the wrong courses.

Thanks
    Neil

Ps I live in NE scotland…

temp
    Participant

Neil

If you have decided to change career to work as a hands-on engineer/tech, then yes if you’ve not already got HNC type quals that is probably the best route – keeps your options open for many different engineering jobs, not just ROV.

For most jobs be it ROV or any other engineering roles, in addition to qualifications, companies and organisations also look for formal practical training and experience (such as apprenticeship etc). If 20yrs ago you changed to Flight Eng from e.g groundcrew or other previous engineering experience, then probably not too much of a problem.

Having worked with Flight Eng’s in RAF (as a groundcrew tech), they generally have very good wide-ranging systems knowledge, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic etc., good fault-diagnosis ability, good team work, able to handle pressure, attention to detail etc.

However, I guess you would not generally be doing much of the actual hands-on fixing (as groundcrew usually do that), although most Flt Eng’s I worked with took a close interest in what we were doing and sometimes helped out if groundcrew short-handed. What I’m saying is that I guess that you probably have not spent much of the last 20yrs actually wielding a spanner or multimeter etc., no disrespect to your skills.

Also, moving from what probably is a senior rank/grade that you have reached, back to being a trainee again can be hard.

Why moving from aviation sector – could probably get some sort of engineering management position, or retrain as pilot?, what about UAV’s?
    If determined to go into ROV and become a pilot/tech, go for it.
    I would advise against spending money on ROV-specific courses though.

good luck
    temp

Ray Shields
    Participant

What temp said, LoL!

Start getting your hands dirty again, go for HNC level qualifications, DONT waste the money you get from the RAF on an ROV training course.

Savante
    Participant

Neil,

You know that Aberdeen has still probably got one of the worlds largest heliports? (or was that only during the 80’s). Bristows, Bond, CHC, Scotia all operate from here – I know for a fact that they are operating 30% greater flights than they did during 2005 (according to a letter on Stena Spey!)

As a rule of thumb, whereever the ROVs go, the paraffin budgies go too!

(It might not be such a step down for you as joining our mungo ranks. 😛 )

Best Regards,

Savante

temp
    Participant

savante
    Er, you don’t get Flight Engineers on helicopters, nor on most civilian fixed wing aircraft for last 20 yrs or so. I have known ex-RAF Flight Engineers retrain as pilots though, even if it costs upwards of £30K+ for a basic commercial licence.
    To work as a Licensed Aircraft Engineer (i.e. groundcrew) he would also need to retrain, again at great expense, and it would probably be a lot less fun than flying Nimrod MR2’s at 200ft above the sea for a living (if that is what Neil works on ?).
    Maybe a career change to ROV’s is the way to go.
    temp

Savante
    Participant

Damn it, my ignorance has been exposed once again – F(ck!!! No idea what WAFU titles mean these days, hence thought engineer meant groundcrew.

As for training matey, go grab a copy of Standard Grade, Higher level and CSYS (if it’s still called that-might be called advanced higher or higher still now) in physics – use this as a revision guide up to HNC in electronics.

With the exception of definitions of RS232/485/USB and CANBUS and different types of signal encrpytion, I’ve not found a single thing offshore in ROVS in terms of electronics which isn’t covered by the first three (but the HNC seems to be desirable to recruiters and therefore most desirable to you!). The advantage is that these curricula also handle concepts of MOSFETS/IGFETS, pressure, fluid dynamics, optical fibres, lasers, ultrasound & sonar, forces and some basic mechatronics (moments and torque!) which would be useful to you at a purely conceptual level at least. I think 3-phase is handled in HNC ?!?

You can get most of the coursework online nowadays for free too or get the missus to pop into the local academy and speak to the physics department. You more than likely have the pre-requisite knowledge already (o-levels, and whatever), but these are really good revision aids to qualifications in electronics HNC/HND.

Other than that, go build yourself a monster blood-cooled PC and put it online – one of the main electrical-only ROVS (seaeye) is like a PC inside – just get used to the idea of recognising sub-systems and swiping cards out till problems go away ! The rest of it is procedural maintenance, topping up of fluids and F L Y I N G !!! hoo raaaa………

Of course there’s work class !! Equally fun – but lots more fluid !

NeilM
    Participant

Keep it coming guys……
    In order to make a qualified judgement on what I am going to do for the next 10 or 20 years I need this feedback. I am trying to see where my ‘skills’ fit in to civilian life and where I will have a chance to progress. I could opt for crewing the helicopters, a challenging role, but perhaps with limited opportunities. I could apply for management but without hands on I would have no ‘cred’ in a management role and there is nothing worse than an engineer who talks a good game but has never done the job. As to stepping down I thought that eliteism was a service game, I would see it as a broadening of experience….

NeilM
    Participant

Just enroled for a Mechatronics HNC course, it sounds like the best one and I can’t wait to get started. Time for a change……

Neil

Ray Shields
    Participant

With the exception of definitions of RS232/485/USB and CANBUS and different types of signal encrpytion, I’ve not found a single thing offshore in ROVS in terms of electronics which isn’t covered by the first three (but the HNC seems to be desirable to recruiters and therefore most desirable to you!). The advantage is that these curricula also handle concepts of MOSFETS/IGFETS, pressure, fluid dynamics, optical fibres, lasers, ultrasound & sonar, forces and some basic mechatronics (moments and torque!) which would be useful to you at a purely conceptual level at least. I think 3-phase is handled in HNC ?!?

You can get most of the coursework online nowadays for free too or get the missus to pop into the local academy and speak to the physics department. You more than likely have the pre-requisite knowledge already (o-levels, and whatever), but these are really good revision aids to qualifications in electronics HNC/HND.

Other than that, go build yourself a monster blood-cooled PC and put it online – one of the main electrical-only ROVS (seaeye) is like a PC inside – just get used to the idea of recognising sub-systems and swiping cards out till problems go away ! The rest of it is procedural maintenance, topping up of fluids and F L Y I N G !!! hoo raaaa………

Of course there’s work class !! Equally fun – but lots more fluid !

I did 3 phase during an NVQ/SVQ, so bound to be part of HNC as well. I can also highly recommend the SVQ in Hydraulics which is available Distance Learning, about £450, I did mine via Aberdeen College agd found it very useful.

subseascott
    Participant

Good choice Neil!!

Are you going to be doing this full time or as a distance learning qualification? One of my mates has been looking to do this course via distance learning but as yet has had no joy!

Cheers, Scott

NeilM
    Participant

Hi guys

Day release at Moray college.
    Thanks for the advice Ray, work class would be more my cup of tea at present but I think I am about to have my eyes opened…. can’t wait, been working old technology for too long. 3 phase is all over the systems I work with now as is hydraulics so hope I’ve got them covered. It’s the "PC" bits I need to seriously work on. Guess it’s time to go back to school.

Neil

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar