Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion from trainee to senior

from trainee to senior

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion from trainee to senior

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Been seeing people start as trainees and become senior pilot/sub engineer in 2 years time, and only with around 180 days a year offshore, I wonder how many ROV companies follow the IMCA rules, (nobody say they have to but many is member) and do you guys think it’s a fair time to getting to know β€œeverything” about ROVs. It could mean being a supervisor in less than 3 years, wonder if that’s time enough to fight an angry client rep. I know all the young people out there will say they know everything. πŸ˜‰

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Touche dude!!

This should start a plethora of replies from young primadonnas!!! 8)

4 years absolute minimum should be the rule of thumb for becoming a supv on eyeballs and 6 years on work class vehicles – full stop…. Any of the youngsters out there think otherwise, then they’ll be sure seeing bits of yellow chuncks coming out from the blunt end…

Anonymous

How come your not at work mate did you move on or something?. Going to line a little cushy number up for you pretty soon….. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Anonymous

Hi
    Not moving on, still same old story, but i was allowed 2 months of, remember i am an old man i need time of, had 182 days offshore last year, enough for me, just come on with that little number 8)

Anonymous

Yep soon mate

Savante
    Participant

heh heh heh, glad he’s taken age out of the equation and concentrating on experience instead -there are plenty of old guys out there with less than 20 months on the sticks!!

πŸ˜†

dealing with a psychotic client rep is a real skill. totally agree. don’t think anyone can look back at an argument with one with rose tinted spectacles though. the real skill is being able to hold the ground on safety, contracts and then get placate the client rep to agreeing with you!

On an aside, I’d retire if I thought I knew it all, wouldn’t be any fun anymore!!! πŸ˜†

rovpilot
    Participant

Been seeing people start as trainees and become senior pilot/sub engineer in 2 years time, and only with around 180 days a year offshore, I wonder how many ROV companies follow the IMCA rules, (nobody say they have to but many is member) and do you guys think it’s a fair time to getting to know β€œeverything” about ROVs. It could mean being a supervisor in less than 3 years, wonder if that’s time enough to fight an angry client rep. I know all the young people out there will say they know everything. πŸ˜‰

Rubbush, the guy has probably worked for it. Ive met old supervisors who have been in the industry for 25 years and realy know nothing about ROV’s other than how to talk about one. Well done that person!

T-Boy
    Participant

Got to agree…

When I started it took about two years to get from Subsea Trainee to a Pilot, then at least another two to get to the dizzy heights of SE (times varied dependant on who you drank with of course).

I’m not saying that it was the right way to go (although it worked for me), but it makes me wonder how some of the ‘fast track’ chappies will really turn out when the shyte hits the fan.
    I don’t think it is fair on ‘them’ and it is forced upon by companies knee jerk reaction to recruitment.

The day I stop learning new bits about this job will be the day I stop. Just when you think you know pretty much all the ropes, something pops up just to remind you that no matter how much experience you have, you never stop learning in this game.

Another thing…Savvy…where did it all dissappear to? Should be a pre-requisite for this job, also seems to be lacking in the newunns.

Back to me tea…

xxx
    Participant

It is not fair on the crews that work for the fast tracked supervisors either.
    I had a trainee in 1999 who couldn’t fly or work the manip and low and behold 3 years later he is a supervisor and the team working for him were all pulling their hair out. They all hated the guy as all he did when things went wrong was scream and shout and swear at the team. Shame really as he was a nice bloke. Stress of not being able to fix the problem yourself will probably kill him. Also how are the new guys going to learn if the supervisors can’t teach them. We are on a slippery slope to a great number of these new ROV’s meeting their end in the props of a ship or floating off into the sunset. (only the light one of course)

rovbionic
    Participant

Agreed….just completed the Sub Eng comps…that took me 3 years as a PT
    mind you agencey work can be the problem.
    Been working for Acergy on the new Schilling subs and they have an ex schilling assembly tech doing his SE comps and has max 8months.

I do not think the comps are the bench mark on ones ability but there is a point where some of the rocket scientists you work with got thier appiontments in the pub.

I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but with 7 years in the business
    have a good idea what goes bump in the night.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

πŸ˜†

Anonymous

a friend of mine was working with me in a offshore role (not rov) and i decided to head back to the rov fold, so my m8 says can you get me a job? no probs says i, he is a good hand but does not know a rov from a b52

so…out i go with impresub with mr x as my trainee, all cool, unfortunatly the wether is poor so in 6 weeks we only do 5 hours work, so i let mr x fly the tiger to the job, around the riser and back to the tms a few times, all good, no probs, when the rovs on deck i am showing him round, all the bits and bobs ect, so.. he has a basic grounding, 3 hours flying, all good!

impresub call me up, i say nononononono they say what about mr x? i say as a trainee he will be cool, they call him, he says yes!

so off he goes to the red sea and when he arrives he is faced with a arab trainee who knows nothing! then they say, mr x, your the supervisor!!!

trainee to supervisor in 3 hours flying or 3 months, it must be a record!!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Well done h20mrv πŸ˜€
    You have discovered a shorter route to stardom πŸ˜€
    Like the worldwide Paddy school ( American πŸ™„ ) that can turn a complete begginner with absolutely no experience a fully fledged Scuba diver in just four days .
    I think you have found a little ‘niche’ in the industry πŸ™‚ exploit it friend , make some money out of it……………………………………………..

Supervisor Hours In Three months On Spot Training or
    SHITMOST for short πŸ˜€
    Start up ya own school , My wee Jockenese friend πŸ™‚ Screw someone πŸ˜€

Anonymous

i had better copyright it then or "ben dover" will nick my idea since he is on the dole πŸ˜†

"Wanted rov trainees, must be able to go to very shitty places and pay ME lots of $$$$ on the job training at extra cost"

πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar