Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Gobal Marine

Gobal Marine

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Gobal Marine

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Roger Chatfield
    Participant

Evening fella’s

I’m leaving the Royal Navy soon and am seriously considering a career in the ROV industry, I recently attended a job fair and got talking to a rep from Global Marine, they run a 3 week ROV trainee pilot course out of Portland.

I was just wondering if anyone has anything to say about them or the course.

Rog.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would say:-

read the forums (especially the Rookie section and the FAQs), read through ALL the other messages from ALL the other people asking the same question.

Once you have read through all the existing info, please do come back and ask questions. But as we get people every week ask the same questions, you will forgive me if we sound annoyed 😀

GROV
    Participant

hi cabinboy,

I was on that course and I can say you that is really OK.

jamie Stone
    Participant

mmm

luckyjim37
    Participant

What job do/did you do in the Navy??

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

And yet another 2 taken in by the "lure, bait, and tackle".

brian mcritchie
    Participant

I too was at the Job’s Fair (in Perth ) and am also considering the ROV world. All I seem to hear is DOOM AND GLOOM about getting a job after completing ROV PILOT/TECHNICIANS courses!

Is it really that bad out there?

I have a BSc in Electronics Engineering and 22 years engineering experience in the Royal Navy Submarine Service. I am seriously considering not going on an ROV course now because of all the negativity I seem to hear from everyone on these forums about going into this line of work.

I am also concerned about SCOTBEVE’s comment about "yet another Lure Bait and Tackle". Is it really that bad ????

Has anyone out there got any constructive advice on people who are in mine and Cabinboy’s shoes who are considering this line of work ???

Thanks all,

Regards,

Bri

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Bri,

A lot of guys are in fact on the beach. Many of which have 10+ years experience. I suggest that you use your long time in service in your particular trade to gain a foot in the door. The way the companies are going tho’, the IMCA certs will all have to be in place in a few years and you’ll have to take a course. As the biz’ is a bit depressed at the mo’ , I suggest the civilian sector whilst you search for an Aussie ROV co. to hire you.

Ray Shields
    Participant

BrigBri,

I would encourage anyone, especially with your experience, to apply to ROV companies BEFORE doing the ROV training course.

99% of Companies provide training, they take people on on their technical experience and background. Some find they do the course, spend thousands of their own money only to find the Company that employs them would have put them on that or a similar course anyway!

It is true that there are a number of experienced people sitting at home unable to find work. However a lot of them are Agency/Freelance. A lot of companies are cutting back or capping the amount of Agency they use per year while still taking on Trainees of their own.

So have a read through the FAQs (link over on the left) get a CV done, but if possible get yourself to Aberdeen and get appointments to meet people in person rather than just sending in CVs or email/phone. It does make a difference. Keep an eye in the Aberdeen edition of the P&J as well for job adverts.

Some people search forever, others are in the right place at the right time.

Scott, the Perth he mentioned is in Scotland, not Oz 😀 😀

brian mcritchie
    Participant

Thanks for your swift replies Rayshields and Scotbeve,

I think I will do what you suggested and get my ass up to Aberdeen and start talking to people in person. Would hate to spend a few grand on a course and they send me on it anyway.

May look into a technical type offshore job first to get my foot in the door. I have, after all got 22 years experience in Electronics Engineering with a BSc, hopefully that should count towards something !!!

Oh and Yes…it was Perth in Scotland, wish it was OZ though !!!!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Ray Shields
    Participant

Just remember that people with a Degree can tell you the square root of an Orange but they cannot peel it 🙂

They are looking for people to operate and maintain the equipment, not design stuff which is why experience and technical qualifications are better that Degrees etc.

Make sure you find out about the Company before you visit them, what kind of work they do, what kind of ROvs etc. It shows you have bothered to do your homework as opposed to doing a Yozzer – "Giz a job, I can do that"

brian mcritchie
    Participant

Cheers Rayshields for your help,

I agree, I have the degree and can work out the square root of said orange peel. Luckily I have experience so can just about get the first part of the peel off.

Regards,

Brian

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar