Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Greasing Main Lift Umbilicals

Greasing Main Lift Umbilicals

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Greasing Main Lift Umbilicals

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

Does anyone know the manufacturer name of equipment used for greasing Main lift Umbilicals ?
    I seem to recall seeing one on the Polar Bjorn a few years ago.
    The Gismo is put around the Umbilical just after the winch and injects under pressure , from a 45 gallon drum , the grease whilst the umbilcal is winched out.
    Bloody good piece of kit if it means less elbow grease 8)

Savante
    Participant

lubricator I think ! I think you can find some companies in abz that sell ones for wireline, but they might have some wider bore ones too (think wireliners call it slammer cable), it looks like a cylindrical tubular chamber, wire rope/umbilical passes through two glands, injector one side and an output for waste. Inject under high pressure, chain the unit to the LARS and use the winch to pull the umbilical through it?

You using finegans wax ?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Better than Paddy’s Elbows 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Sav,

Not high pressure though…. Should only take 15 – 18 psi to "press" the lube (I still prefer Bridon Brilube Ultra 40 for all umbs….)

DANFROV
    Keymaster

Try Subsea supplies in Aberdeen they sell them.

Subsea supplies ltd.

Unit 27, Murcar Commercial Park, Denmore Rd, Aberdeen, AB23 8JW
    Tel: 01224 705181 | Fax: 01224 705179

Out of Hours Mobile Numbers:
    Andy Smith: 07815 833387 | Bill Roach: 07939 501637

E-Mail: info@subsea-supplies.co.uk

DanF

Savante
    Participant

yeah, good point-those guys do go to very high pressures! My sledge hammer may crack the table as well as the nut. 😆

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Use the Search ROVworld box to the top left. It really works and will pull up a couple of results by way of threads where this was discussed previously.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Cheers James 😀

Anonymous

Masto do the kits required and recomended by Bridon and others

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/MCG_CARE/Services/EN/download.asp?file=/MCG_Downloads/MCG_CARE/EN/Parts/CCWLubBroch.pdf

Not high pressure though…. Should only take 15 – 18 psi to "press" the lube (I still prefer Bridon Brilube Ultra 40 for all umbs….)

From Masto brochure, they recommend a minimum of 285 psi in the chamber…..and Brilube 40 is completely the wrong type of wire rope dressing to use, its used were high friction grip is required, primarily on elevators, and other friction driven applications. Go for Brilube 70 as its designed for the job.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Masto do the kits required and recomended by Bridon and others

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/MCG_CARE/Services/EN/download.asp?file=/MCG_Downloads/MCG_CARE/EN/Parts/CCWLubBroch.pdf

From Masto brochure, they recommend a minimum of 285 psi in the chamber…..and Brilube 40 is completely the wrong type of wire rope dressing to use, its used were high friction grip is required, primarily on elevators, and other friction driven applications. Go for Brilube 70 as its designed for the job.

Ahhh… correct. It is in fact 70. Can’t remember the lube that is used at low pressure (only 15 – 18 psi using a simple bucket air pump) – works a treat tho’

sdrov
    Participant

Dynacon from Bryan Texas also has them …. it is a clam shell nematic clamp around the umbilical.

makes a right mess but works very well.

good luck

mudflap276
    Participant

i’ve used this with pretty good results.

http://www.lubeng.com.au/Raptor-Wire-Rope-Lubricator.php

Mud

Sit Rep
    Participant

Wouldn’t tether monkeys and banana skins work?

Sorry..couldn’t resist

Octopus
    Participant

A fresh water shower contraption first and behind that I’ve used a two part ‘Ocean Lube Light’ through the Umb ‘bath’, we had a drill with paint mixing bit running in the drum while we recovered. Worked great, the ocean lube is marine safe and a penetrative type lube instead of the sticky debri/dust attracting grease sometimes smeared on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar