Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Heads up please

Heads up please

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Heads up please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Rusden
    Participant

Hi, looking to get into this industry and have a couple of years to run in the armed forces. I have 17 years experience as a mechanical supervisor on aircraft, hydraulics etc. As far as quals go i have a NVQ level 3 in aircraft engineering and a Fd Eng in aeronautical engineering (HND equiv)

As i have time on my hands at best 1.5 years and worse 8 months, I just wanted to know what courses, extra qualifications would you advise on getting, NDT, welding, fork lift driver etc that would be attractive to a employer.

I know hundreds of people are after jobs so i want to give myself the best chance.

Thanks in advance

Ray Shields
    Participant

Please read through other messages in these forums, especially the Rookie section as many other people have asked the same question.

Also, have a read through the FAQs (link is over on the left hand side).

Getting qualifications for welding, fork lift driving etc. in my opinion will not make you any more attractive as an ROV Pilot. Welding is often mentioned by people, but offshore you have to be a coded welder and unless your career is a welder and you stay qualified and regular re-assessments, its pointless having it.

What you need is a technical qualification and experience. As you obviously already have a mechanical background, I would suggest trying to get additional training in electrical and electronics (up to HNC standard, not Degrees)

Electrical, electronics and hydraulics, this is your key skills that you need to concentrate on.

As to whether to attend an ROV training school, again please read through the (many!) opinions on here as to whether they are 1) if any use and 2) of any value.

Just remember that no training school can say you are now a qualified pilot, none of them can say you are IMCA certified and none of them can guarantee you a job (no matter what they tell you).

Nathan Rusden
    Participant

Thanks for that, I don’t want to do the ROV course i don’t think it would be worth the money imo.

I will do the offshore survival and medical etc. I have looked into electronics, electrical and mechatronic courses but all the electrical courses seem to be domestic and the others involve lengthy college courses. I don’t think i have enough time to complete one.

Just thought if there were short courses which employers may like i could get some done before i leave my present job, health and safety etc

I have read the FAQs and other posts , but i will go through them again

Thanks for your reply

Cameron Taylor
    Participant

I think the ROV training would def be worth the money.

The problem you are going to have is entering into a saturated market (trainees) and companies simply have the option to take better qualified and experienced staff which will make it difficult for a start.

Nathan Rusden
    Participant

Thats why i want to give myself an edge, Have to look into it

Ray Shields
    Participant

I think the ROV training would def be worth the money.

The problem you are going to have is entering into a saturated market (trainees) and companies simply have the option to take better qualified and experienced staff which will make it difficult for a start.

There are many non qualified and experienced people who do the ROV training courses thinking this will make them more employable by Companies.

However, I believe this is untrue. The qualified/experienced person will always be ale to learn about ROVs within the company, the person who has learnt about ROVS will remain being unqualified/inexperienced.

99% of ROV companies put Trainees through training on THEIR ROVs, so it is pointless AND expensive to do a training course in general ROVs beforehand.

What you need to get is as qualified and experienced in electronics, electrical and hydraulics in a PRACTICAL way (not theoretical like design or Degrees). you will be maintaining/repairing the equipment, not designing it.

Also be aware there are variations in Medicals/survival, so do your homework before doing one that you later find isn’t valid for where you will be working (e.g. you need a different medical for Norway than the UK). Same with offshore survival, what you need is the Pan European one which also covers Norway.

Nathan Rusden
    Participant

I would personally like a company put me through their own training programme. Paying £2500 for a ten day course is a bit extreme.

I am going to do the surviival and medical. I have 17 years of experience with hydraulics, mechanical components, fault finding , electrical interfaces, sheet metalrepair etc

I think i will have to go with what i have, because i won’t have an opportunity to get real hands on relevant electrical experience.

Just have to get my CV out there and see what happens i suppose

openside
    Participant

I have to agree with Ray here. However what did you do in the RAF? As I have worked with guys who are Tornado engine mechanics,, the truth is they worked in a bay removing one part of the engine and had no real experience in anything.

The other one wich really gets me is " I was a Corporal " I dont make the tea……

Stay in and see the world courtesy of the MOD.

Nathan Rusden
    Participant

I have worked all over the place in bays in depth facilities, on ships, in deserts, in the artic circle, in jungles so i can make tea quite happilty anywhere!! 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I would personally like a company put me through their own training programme. Paying £2500 for a ten day course is a bit extreme.

I am going to do the surviival and medical. I have 17 years of experience with hydraulics, mechanical components, fault finding , electrical interfaces, sheet metalrepair etc

I think i will have to go with what i have, because i won’t have an opportunity to get real hands on relevant electrical experience.

Just have to get my CV out there and see what happens i suppose

There’s a lot of us older hands that agree with what you say as far as being an ROV company that will train their own through either mentoring systems, manufacturers (specific vehicle) training programs, OJT, or a mix/all of the above. This way they know whether you’re an asset or not by watching/evaluating you in the shop for a fair period. Good luck.

Craig
    Participant

ok ok

Robert Black
    Participant

Just when you think people cant get any dumber, the guy above endorses a company taking on people into a highly technical job with no technical qualifications. Well done mate.
    Charlie, your quals will be good enough if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck and I hope you never end up carrying the guys with no technical quals but an ROV course or two under their useless leeching belts.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Rab,
    I guess it goes to show that the world as we know it, is less of a "hands – on" mindset and more of a paperwork trail….. And not only in our industry…..

Robert Black
    Participant

Scott

In reality though, this is the only industry I can think of where some mouth breather with no recognisable tech quals can wake up one day and say to himself "I know, I think I’ll change careers. ROVs that’s what I’ll do." The rest of the qualified techs get left babysitting some window licker through the rest of their life because a decision is made to employ people on cost rather than sense. These same junior personnel then build up enough time in the job to actually get an inflated idea of what they are worth and eventually wash up on your job earning the same or more than you.
    Screw this, I always wanted to be a doctor, I’m taking a three day first aid course and then trying to get a job as Scot2ozROV’s wife’s gynacologist.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Scott

In reality though, this is the only industry I can think of where some mouth breather with no recognisable tech quals can wake up one day and say to himself "I know, I think I’ll change careers. ROVs that’s what I’ll do." The rest of the qualified techs get left babysitting some window licker through the rest of their life because a decision is made to employ people on cost rather than sense. These same junior personnel then build up enough time in the job to actually get an inflated idea of what they are worth and eventually wash up on your job earning the same or more than you.
    Screw this, I always wanted to be a doctor, I’m taking a three day first aid course and then trying to get a job as Scot2ozROV’s wife’s gynacologist.

Eloquent as always!! 😉 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar