Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner help wanted on information

help wanted on information

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner help wanted on information

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    plc
    Participant

hello everyone,

I have to write a rather large paper (they desire 100 pages) about rov’s and their construction, application, … for my bachelor thesis at college.
    I am looking for publications on rov’s. papers, books, courses, presentations, …
    I recenty bought the operational effectiveness of unmanned underwater systems from MTS.
    are there other (better) publications? the one"s from OPl are very expensive.

kindly appreciate the help,

plc

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

You might want to have a look at the website http://www.rov.net .
    Just click on ROV Faq in the menu.

Websites about Homebuilt ROV’s can give you some info too.

You might try a peer-to-peer program to find info in pdf format, but as far as I know you won’t find much.

Anonymous
    Savante
    Participant

Something that might be of use to you is to investigate the "3.4u inspection course"; that pretty much describes a large chunk of what ROVs are used for – identify the sort of sensors used and then perhaps go to the manufacturers web-sites;

for example;

rov manufacturers; perry, slingsby, seaeye & subatlantic,

sensor supermarkets!

seatronics, DPS, TSS international, tritech & kongsberg

manipulators (terminator arms!)

schilling,

This is not a conclusive list, but it’d give you a good start.

offload the datasheets for the different tools; this might be good if you are presenting a chapter on a "review of the current state of art?"

I could decimate 30-50 pages on sensor reviews alone. Lots of material.

If you want a real insight into the state of affairs, get yourself up to Aberdeen for the first week in September. The conference is called Offshore Europe – over 150 companies exhibiting.

Cost you quids for the train, stay up at Hillhead halls in Aberdeen University or something – get all the info you need – no trawling around web-sites. 5 days you’ll not have to f"ck around for information – research done. Pretend you’re an offshore oil big wig and get yourself free sandwhiches too. 😆

Good luck with writing it- is this a 4th year diss?

plc
    Participant

already thnx for tehe help

savante, waht exacty do you mean with the 3.4u inspection course? I think I already have about 200 pdf’s off the websites of the manufacturers. but they don’t specifiy much on the details. for the aberdeen part? I would love to go even if it is a whole day journey for me(from belgium), but I have to be on board on an dredger in dubai for my on board trainig the first 3 weeks of september. the sudy that I am doing is a master degree in nautical science.it pretty much is a combination of a degree in industrial engineer(called so here) and a full package of STCW for bridge personnel.heavy stuff but i hope to become captain in a distant future.

hopi, it will be in dutch, so if you’re not from holland or belgium, you can’t understand much of it. but if it is final I will perhaps make it public, i’m not shure yet. let’s see how the outcome is after it has passed a control of my board at college

Savante
    Participant

Ah well, Offshore Europe was only a suggestion.

3.4u is one level of certification carried by some inspectors who tend to accompany ROVs on certain programmes of inspecton work.

In the coursework notes there are a lot of explanations of the technologies which are required to qualify the state of an asset in terms of things like surface quality, presence and extent of marine growth, metal thickness, etc.

The reason why I mention it is that it pretty much embodies most of the inspection work in which ROVs are used in the north sea. I had a copy somewhere were there is even a review of teh sort of technologies available to do this;

photogrammetry, acoustic, visual, radiation penetration, ultrasonic thickness measurement, etc.

It would probably be beneficial to you to understand the sort of tasks that ROVs are routinely used on ?

plc
    Participant

savante,

is there an electronic version of it? it could be interesting.

do you now something about the books of oil field publications? if they are really as good as they sey they are. or do you know any other publicatiosn that are good in this field?

Savante
    Participant

Not sure about electronic version – it may be copyright, so you might be better searching for it, or asking the inspection school for a copy? Dig a bit.

UK oil field production for each and every field is declared on a monthly basis – can get it online from dti (department of trade and industry).

(I’m not absolutely sure what you’re asking for here – something lost in translation possibly? )

plc
    Participant

it’s about the books from oilfield publications http://www.oilpubs.com
    they also have a book called ‘introduction to ROV operations’
    expensive books but someone who did the basic ROV course at INPP in france said that they were worth their money.
    but at least I want a second oppinion before I buy such an expensive book.

Savante
    Participant

I have absolutely no idea- never read them. Can’t you just do a loan from a library – inter library loan?

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

The books from oilpubs are very expensive and definitly not worth this amount of money.

You might try to get a secondhand one through Amazon.com.

On the websites of Schilling and Seabotix you can down all their manuals (manipulators, ROVs, winches, etc.).

Note: The Seabotix website seems to be down at the moment….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar