Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Hi Chaps

Hi Chaps

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Hi Chaps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Allan Lawson
    Participant

Looking for a bit of advice.

I’ve just completed the ROV course at the underwater centre where I was told I was the best trainee they had ever seen on the simulator. I’m ex forces, well I completed the basic training. Recently I completed COD black ops as well so I’ve basically got all that it takes to succeed in the ROV industry.

My question to all of you guys is, What company do you think I should go and work for?

Thanks

James McLauchlan
    Participant

You don’t mention where you live but say you did your course at Fort Bill, so I’ll assume you are UK based and didn’t fly in from overseas.
    Location counts as here it’s winter and in Oz it’s summer!

My question to all of you guys is, What company do you think I should go and work for?

This time of the year? I’d work for any company that will offer you a slot.

In the UK, winter is not the best time of the year to start looking for work offshore.
    Whilst you are calling and emailing around for ROV work, if you have any other skills try to get work onshore locally near home.. mechanic, sparky, driving etc. right away. It may not cover your usual outgoings, but it’ll be the right thing to do rather than sit around all winter pushing for offshore work, watching your available funds dwindle, as the months pass by.
    If you can’t get local work go and sign on. You have been paying class 1 NI and full taxes for years, so claw some back when you most need it.

sedco
    Participant

Windup alert.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

This is Rookie corner.

… so for those that don’t see it as a wind up, and would wish to ask a similar question, my response makes a relevant point.

Allan Lawson
    Participant

Far from a windup sedco. Do I detect a bit of jealousy? I think so.

Anyway, jamesmc, thanks for the advice but I’m pretty sure I wont have to worry about sitting about, as once these companies learn of my success at the course they will be fighting over each other.

I’m just wanting to know the best?

thanks

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

James,

????????????????? 😕 😕 😕 You can ave’im mate!

Numero uno,

You’re not helping your ROV peers (of your age group) ya’ know…. Leave sleeping dragons alone… Think, not "thimk".

sedco
    Participant

Ha, ha. You’re right mate, I am jealous. I wish I could be at home on a Saturday afternoon preparing my hooks, lines and sinkers instead of being stuck offshore 180 days a year.

Numero 1, now you just need to know what a ROV is.

Elvis
    Participant

You didn’t mention which platform you completed COD on. I think if it is the Xbox you may well have an advantage. PC and PS3 lack the geometry, so definitely list it on your CV. I think it may be worth putting your day rate expectations on your cover letter though, that way all the best companies will be able to spot a bargain and secure your services immediately, I am sure they won’t mind paying a little extra for a trainee who was so outstanding on the training course. You have certainly got what it takes to succeed in this industry, well done!

Des_b
    Participant

Ex forces? 😯 ..so which one???Interested to know what background you have because unfortunately its tech background that will count at present not witty remarks on a forum such as this.
    So you only completed basic training? What happened to the return of service you had to do or were you so special you didnt need to do it like everyone else?

Id have to say after reading some of your other posts you seem a tad up yourself which you might want to reign in a bit if you expect/want to be taken on somewhere. Its also a relatively bad time of year even for experienced guys to get work

PS enjoy your time at home…..

Cabledog
    Participant

Des,

While this is deffo a wind up, you have to wonder which firm this ego will land at, and how many systems he will have to lose before he ends up staffing the reception desk 😀 😀

Now get off here and sort that P&T out 🙄 🙄

Be good
    Dog

T-Boy
    Participant

COD Black ops – Not PC old chap.

That should be COD Coloured ops. 🙄 or colored if your’e a yank 😉

BTW Desmondo, what’s your 20? You still in Indo?

T

Allan Lawson
    Participant

I’ll get round to answering you all as there seems to be a bit of confusion here.

My original question is Who is the best company to work for? I would appreciate if someone could pay attention to the question instead of trying to slag me off. I’d hate to think what you are all like when it comes to reading procedures if you can’t even make sense of one line…

The reason I’m asking is that I’ve had an offer from a well known company but not sure whether to take it or not. The offer is only for what i believe to be trainee’s wages when I’ve came out with the qualification of pilot tech II and the best one at that. Also I’ve a wedding to attend and this job will interfere with that.

FRAILE, No idea where you are going with that but in case YOU don’t know, it’s robotically operated vehicle OK?

ELVIS, i’m going to adopt your style and say ‘Elvis has left the building’
    It was xbox but I won’t be putting that on, (well under my hobbies of course)

DES, It was the air force but I wasn’t to keen on the shouting if you must know. No need for that in the modern day.

Dog or Old Dog,

Sort your own pressure and tank out.

T-Boy, RACIST

Cabledog
    Participant

Superb, 😆 😆 😆 😆

This has to be the best windup ever on this site. James, you gotta give this one a thread all of it’s own. 😯

Well Done Number1, you deserve a job anywhere you want just for the sense of humor. But I reckon you probably already work in the GOM ❗ ❗

Be good
    Dog

Allan Lawson
    Participant

I’ve decided to take James’s advice and get a local job just now. This cold weather has put me off a bit with the offshore thing. Think I’ll go and work for amazon for the christmas period. Lots of taping things up which should be useful experience when I come to doing my first splice next year.

Would still like to know who you think is the best company to work for in your opinions? Best players at the best teams and all that. You wouldn’t be slagging Rooney when he wanted to play for Man U or Ronaldo for Real Madrid or Iwelumo for Burnley.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Hi Chaps’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar