Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training HNC or FdSc Subsea Engineering?

HNC or FdSc Subsea Engineering?

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training HNC or FdSc Subsea Engineering?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Dryden
    Participant

Hi (First Post)

I’m trying to find out which of the following courses is most applicable to your industry.

I know the HNC in Electrical Engineering is a good one but the Uni’s & Colleges closeby (Newcastle, UK) offer also HNC Instrumentation & Control Engineering but also Foundation Degree in Subsea Engineering:

http://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/course-information.aspx?courseid=12379

Any advice is of course appreciated.

Cheers

Jonny

Savante
    Participant

If you want to go offshore as an ROV technician, then I’d suggest that you go for the HNC in electronic engineering; I believe it is still the case that it is the minimum requirement (apart from a tradesman’s apprenticeship) for most of the aberdeen and north east england operators. I think it can be done in a year whereas the others take 4?

I’d have a look at CTC Marine Projects, MODUS International or Global Industries web-sites – they are right on your doorstep – not sure if they are recruiting at the moment?

If however you want to go for a more engineering role and get into operations design/managing projects offshore, then I’d aim higher in terms of education level; most of the technip guys I’ve worked with seem to be chartered engineers. I don’t recall any of them having the subsea engineering degree though… I think it’s a new degree.

Good luck.

Jonathan Dryden
    Participant

Ah right that’s really helpful thanks. I did not realise there was a divide in that way between Technician and Ops/Management, I assumed it was a natural progression. (I’m currently a technical team leader with Hewlett-Packard and its more like that here, obviously less technical and no engineering as such, hence looking at education side of ROV to go offshore)

Can I just ask, where does ROV Piloting fit in here?

Cheers

J

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar