Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) How many would join the union?

How many would join the union?

Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) How many would join the union?

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    quaich
    Participant

Jobs to do when I get home (in no particular order)
    Cut the grass
    Clean the house
    Walk the dog
    Wash the car
    Cancel union membership

Had enough.

Kalbo
    Participant

One more comment, Kalbo, Love the picture

PDude, Would you like her number, lol…

My membership was also canceled early last year…I still know a few ROV people still paying their dues as it does offer them some benefit/piece of mind…

James Wakefield
    Participant

In no way do we (The Union) try and make a member join or not join. To Join our Union the IASET or any other Union in the world it is the individuals choice as to if they want to oor not. We just offer fair rights, Pay and benefits and give the members a chanice to voice their opions and issues in a fair surrounding. For a Union to work you have to have Union Contractors that will hire these Operation members that under what a Union is all about and what the union tries to do. Sending a Union member to a non-union company with non-union workers will only cause issues between the Union and Non-Union workers and will cause major tension between the 2 parties on the project which in turn as it has in the past have always ended up on the short end for the Union members.

I dont think Jim was trying to name call wiith his statement about Fence Sitter but i understand his point as we are trying to make things better for the worker. If you feel that you are happy with what you make and the benefits that you have currently then it is your choice to sit back and be happy with your current in take. Another thing that we do though is to make sure that workers like you that are members dont get screwed over by the companies that do not like to pay their employees. This has to stop for both Union and Non-Union workers alike but we can only help the actual Union members with this issue which is a plus to all members.

Best Regards

James W
    President
    International Association of Sub-Sea Engineers and Technicians

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

In no way do we (The Union) try and make a member join or not join. To Join our Union the IASET or any other Union in the world it is the individuals choice as to if they want to oor not

James- This is absolutely untrue! Look at some of the largest union’s out there IALWU, SEIU and how they have made it a requirement to join a union if you are going to work for a particular company. Hell, they just stopped Boeing from making a plane in South Carolina because South Carolina is a right to work state (Unions absolutely hate ‘Right to Work States’ because they won’t collect their dues directly out of paychecks, meaning people can stop paying any time they want).

Chief

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Another thing that we do though is to make sure that workers like you that are members dont get screwed over by the companies that do not like to pay their employees. This has to stop for both Union and Non-Union workers alike but we can only help the actual Union members with this issue which is a plus to all members

Again, very misleading… you can stand up and help those who aren’t a member of a union with a company that doesn’t pay, but instead you CHOOSE NOT TO. See the difference.

Chief

Anonymous

Nice to see some union stuff on the forum again, for the summer months its the usual wall-to-wall agency postings and not much debate going on. Looks more like a job center than a forum half the time.

I would like to say New union stuff, but the arguments and talk doesn’t change much, this thread alone goes back to 2009 and nothing has changed. Though it does make me chuckle reading the union posts over the years….

James Wakefield
    Participant

Let me see I clear this up about Boeing. Boeing is a Union contractor this the Unions it is associated with can interfear with Operations if Boeing Teykiee and brings in non Union personnel. This is the way it is with all Union contractor companies. The Unions do not go out and force anyone. I have been a long standing member with one of the largest and oldest Unions and our locals have never forced anyone to join. We simply bring in members to do the jobs since the contractors are Union contractors which do not employ non Union workers. This is still America and everyone has a right unless certain higher ups that are coming in and trying to change the way this country is ran and these people in no way have to do with unions.

The next topic on this is the fact you say we can help someone that doesn’t get paid. That is easy to look at from our stand point. Unions have members, directors etc to back them. We do not bring in lawyers to solve our problems. We handle them in house, with that being said an individual or groups of individuals can take a stand for themselves if they are being treated unfairly or not being paid. Why would the union members step in and interfear with a non union worker and non union contractor. This would be like us asking you a non union member to come help us with a strike or issues we have between us and the union contractors. Besides if you don’t get paid then a lawyer is a phone call away. We don’t use lawyers because we don’t have to. This is the difference between being United and being ok with the way things are. We are here to help but people don’t see it

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Do you think Boeing wants all these unions??? Hell no they don’t! You say you don’t force people to join unions, but you’ve locked them out of getting a job unless they join a union. If someone joins a union and gets a job but then becomes disenfranchised by the politics the union following and they quit the union, do they keep their job? No, because it’s a union job, not a real job….

Chief

don rover
    Participant

I’m in the Union, I dont mind paying for it. If we all did it we would be a far stronger force to be reckoned with as regards to pay and conditions.

It’s not all about pay either. If something goes wrong offshore they will be invaluable for legal advice. Thankfully I haven’t needed them just yet, but I know others who have.

KeyserSoze
    Participant

Can you tell me what union you have joined?

There was a massive exodus from the RMT some time ago as they turned out as much use as tits on a snake.

It’s a case of been there done that for a lot of folks over the last couple of years, but if you are in a relevant union who could support us, then I for one would be interested to know which one it is.

Chris
    Participant

Ballsed that one up didn’t we. We should have got stronger earlier.

sergeybof
    Participant

Today was my 21st birthday.
    I did not do as most would, though… No alcohol.
    Just went around town with friends.
    And I joined this site 5-6 years ago. Glad to have friends even here.

sergeybof
    Participant

lets have a show of hands how many people here actually bought the movie prime voice changer helmet.

I did. and it was fun…..for the first 3 min……

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar