Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion How reeeally reaaally busy is it ?

How reeeally reaaally busy is it ?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion How reeeally reaaally busy is it ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    R2D2
    Participant

per Barrel price is through the roof.
    I’m told all the companies are raced off their feet, beyond capacity.

Why is it so ‘quiet’ for agency boys right now then? Are all the tigers off from the North Sea systems and filling the gaps elsewhere?

Whuchu tink?

Savante
    Participant

Time to retrain as drill crew. Those guys are on good coin !

misiuek
    Participant

you’ve obviously never been drill crew…. bugger that worst job offshore 11 miserable months…. then i found ROV and teabreaks (roughly at the same time!)

with all the bad weather at the moment and it seems to be worldwide its going to slow things down a bit

soon be summer time again! make hay whilst the sun shines ….

James McLauchlan
    Participant

It may go quiet for a couple of months but I would suggest that it will be a short lived period. Make the most of your time off if that is where you are at the moment. I certainly wouldn’t read anything into any slowdown, if there is one.

Question? Is it quiet for agency guys? All the ones I know of are still out there working. Bearing in mind that this is an international forum and any references to winter weather in Europe may not have a huge impact on those working Asia or Oz for example.

blondie
    Participant

I have been merrily going along working as and when I please. Until now that is. I am registered with all the major agencies but absolutely nothing for November. Offers coming in for December jobs though. Looks like no turkey and whisky for me this year. Never mind there’s always Double dayrate for hols. to look forward to. Wintersun holiday in January methinks. 😕

Ray Shields
    Participant

Funny cos my lot are still short of people, always short of people 🙂

I’m sure things are a little bit quieter now compared the the normal seasonal rush, so the warm bodies who would always get a job in the middle of summer are now no longer required.

Mark DuPriest
    Participant

As of 18 Oct I have been listed as available. Loads of experience\>10 yr’s, sub-engineer or supv, work-class primarily, never an NRB. Listed with 5 of the top agencies…no offers.

Have taken a trenching job at 25% less than normal rate for position.
    To be expected this time of yr. 😕

Anonymous

Lucas,

Hey may be you should change your deoderant??

I get 5 calls a week asking for me to go here go there go everywhere. That is still happening, during the summer it is constant, but still now the industry is balls out mate, summer is only for UK, the rest of the world still works these months.

dayrates all round the world are much the same now. gone are the days of half rate for Singers cash in hand, they are all run by larger UK / US companies now, and have to play by the rules now.

Save change

kangaroo
    Participant

I knew this was going to happen – people getting desparate and dropping their day rate. This is very unprofessional conduct and does nothing to support the pay advances we have made in the ROV industry over the last 2 years.

I always have enough fat stored away to live through the bad times or quiet times.

It is quiet at the moment, but I think it is not the amount of ROV work out there that is causing this.

There is now a delay of up to 18 months for delivery of Perry vehicles – the ROV of choice these days..I am sure SAAB/Seaeye have similar backlogs of orders as well.

The vessel market is very tight and it is hard to lease a good vessel these days. This is causing delays on the start of contracts right now, and some companies are pulling out of jobs becuase they can’t be competitive if they have to hire a high day rate vessel. One company in the US could not get a good vessel, so they leased a shit one..Mobilised the ROV system onboard, when the Client came down to inspect, they rejected the vessel as not being up to standard, and this particular ROV company lost a lot of money.

I have a rate that I currently put myself out at, and that rate will be going up January 1 next year as it does every year, not going down just so that I can undercut my fellow workmates just becuase it is a bit quiet.

Lets not steer this industry back to the way it was 5 years ago!

I am predicting that 2008 and 2009 will boom when all the new build vessels and ROV’s are due to be delivered.

Be patient, enjoy your time off, and just make up the lost income next year if you have too.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

As of 18 Oct I have been listed as available. Loads of experience\>10 yr’s, sub-engineer or supv, work-class primarily, never an NRB. Listed with 5 of the top agencies…no offers.

Have taken a trenching job at 25% less than normal rate for position.
    To be expected this time of yr. 😕

Lucas I know the bills need paying but please try not cut your rate like that. It’s unfair to you and unfair to others in the longer term. You need to try and structure your life to allow for quiet periods, as implied above, rather than take a drop. Companies love people that do that for no other reason than it helps them make more profit. They don’t give a monkeys what you take home .. the less the better in their eyes.

best regards
    James Mc

rovbionic
    Participant

Lucas
    I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but it is balls out still and will be for sometime.
    Cutting your day rate is not what we have worked for…these days Sub Eng goes for 350 quid plus……stick to your guns

R2D2
    Participant

and I am embarrassed at GPP 315. I hope all the office girls and desk fliers at Base are reading this.

I sniff rebellion in the air!

as Paddy would say, ……..

STILL very quiet!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar