Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Hydraulic Fittings

Hydraulic Fittings

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Hydraulic Fittings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Col
    Participant

Hi all,

Any oilys want to let me in on the secret for sizing hydraulic fittings? Does the 4, 6, 8 in JIC fittings actually refer to a bore measurement somewhere? What about BSP and NPT? Is that an internal or external measurement, the thread, what?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Not telling you.Splash out and go on an ROV training course.They will
    enlighten you on everything…

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Col,
    Check your PMs

Regds

Monkey

Ray Shields
    Participant

the dash number for JIC fittings is just an abbreviation for its size in 16"’s of an inch.

JIC, NPT, BSP, they are all different types of fittings all with different thread types/sizes etc. Not really explainable on a message on here.

Google "hydraulic fittings introduction" or "hydraulic fittings training" to find lots of free info online on all the different types available.

Also have a look at http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/technical14.html

Anonymous

Do these people here need to be told everything.If you are keen
    to learn and want info,go to google and type in Hyd fitting sizes.Its that
    easy…

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

the dash number for JIC fittings is just an abbreviation for its size in 16"’s of an inch.

Ray,
    Not strictly true. e.g. 8 JIC has a thread 3/4" x 16 TPI, o.d.=0.75, I.D.=0.67

Monkey

NewKidOnTheBlock
    Participant

Do these people here need to be told everything.If you are keen
    to learn and want info,go to google and type in Hyd fitting sizes.Its that
    easy…

Yes it may be that easy, but surely asking an experienced person is better. And I thought this site was all about helping people. 😕

Col
    Participant

ROV Monkey, Ray Shields, cheers!

Brigs, run along, if you don’t know then that’s fine. You can see even in here between the experienced guys there is some debate about the standards. Get back on your eyeball and stare at the bubbles, leave the hydraulics to the big boys.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray,
    Not strictly true. e.g. 8 JIC has a thread 3/4" x 16 TPI, o.d.=0.75, I.D.=0.67

Monkey

You are correct – if you are talking about thread sizing, but not tube or hose sizing 🙂 In which case, the dash number does equate to 1/16". See the useful table on http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/Dash%20sizing.pdf

At least Clankys have a smaller range of fitting for hydraulics compared to the vast range of electrical connectors :L

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar