India

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    rovrave
    Participant

Namasti

global have work again there this year. word is they will be using Sonsub singapore so expect lower rates.

they are kicking off jan 2008.

Does anybody know why global aren’t using there regular rov contactor?

if you go, go down to churchgate area. Some great electronics books for sale at dirt cheap prices.Heaps of other good technical books available too. All by indian authors but all very good. Try the 12 year old "old monk rum" while you are there as well and the kingfisher beer but keep away from the cages. That is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a run ashore even for the hardest of offshore types.

it’s all wrong about deli bellie too. It’s only pommies who get that.
    The locals use so many natural spices in the curries that it has an antibiotic effect . I’ve been there numerous times eaten all the food offshore and at indoor restaurants (not road side stalls, where dust and germs can settle on the food). Never had the trots once. Mind you the old monk rum probably had it’s curative properties too.

ok then good luck and get your asss up there hami hami

Andy Shiers
    Participant

It’s still a corrupt shit hole 🙂

Cabledog
    Participant

Have to agree LB,

When we left the barge, it took us 8 hours to get along side waiting for the agent to show up, when we did get in we sat on a coach by the jetty for 6 hours waiting for the agent to pay the necessary "fee’s" to allow us to move to customs 150 yards away. 😈

Then all 22 of us on the coach had to open ALL bags in the customs hall while the robbing twats searched to see what they wanted. (Soap and shampoo mainly) After the payment of more Fee’s by the agent when where on our way.

Time from leaving the barge to arriving in the hotel 15 hours ❗ ❗ ❗

Thats all I have to say about that 😯

Be good
    Dog

piedpiper
    Participant

HI there,

Can anyone tell me which companies are working in lovely India.

Thanks

technip are sending the constructor and the skandi achiever down there to start next month. I’m sure you will find work on the constructor if you want it as nobody likes it there, unless your favourite word is ‘yes’ and you like having a social inadequate as your boss.

piedpiper

rovrave
    Participant

ok i have to agree getting in and out from the dock can be a hassle but if you have a good ageant he will have paid the proper bribes and you won’t even have to get off the bus.

if your expecting the hassle it doesn’t seem so bad, That’s where the bottle of old monk and the mp3 player help.

but there is some good food and fun to be had on the run ashore. the thing i like about the place is this. No matter how seedy the places you end up in, you never feel like you are in any danger. That’s because if there are 2 or 3 of you just having a good run ashore, you aren’t in any danger. Probably the worst that can happen is to get your pocket picked if you are careless.

compared to angola, nigeria or sakhalin i’d pick mumbai anytime. Of couse it’s not the best place around but it’s what you make of it. If you still have a little sense of adventure you can create one of those runs ashore that become legends .

i forgot to mention the trip to chaw bazaar (thieves market). There is old machinery for sale there that can keep you amused all day. ( old, old british churchill lathes, milling machines, and all sorts of stuff )you can still pick up a brass sextant for your bar pretty cheap as well

else where you can buy good carpets that can become investments. they will ship them to your home. it’s all legit and backed up by a govt dept.

some years back you could also buy an enfield motorbike brand new, exactly like they were in the 50.s. That was crated and shipped to your door with parts and a spare engine. very cheap

oh well i guess it’s not for everybody, maybe i’ve just gone tropp

rovrave
    Participant

ok i have to agree getting in and out from the dock can be a hassle but if you have a good ageant he will have paid the proper bribes and you won’t even have to get off the bus.

if your expecting the hassle it doesn’t seem so bad, That’s where the bottle of old monk and the mp3 player help.

but there is some good food and fun to be had on the run ashore. the thing i like about the place is this. No matter how seedy the places you end up in, you never feel like you are in any danger. That’s because if there are 2 or 3 of you just having a good run ashore, you aren’t in any danger. Probably the worst that can happen is to get your pocket picked if you are careless.

compared to angola, nigeria or sakhalin i’d pick mumbai anytime. Of couse it’s not the best place around but it’s what you make of it. If you still have a little sense of adventure you can create one of those runs ashore that become legends .

i forgot to mention the trip to chaw bazaar (thieves market). There is old machinery for sale there that can keep you amused all day. ( old, old british churchill lathes, milling machines, and all sorts of stuff )you can still pick up a brass sextant for your bar pretty cheap as well

else where you can buy good carpets that can become investments. they will ship them to your home. it’s all legit and backed up by a govt dept.

some years back you could also buy an enfield motorbike brand new, exactly like they were in the 50.s. That was crated and shipped to your door with parts and a spare engine. very cheap

oh well i guess it’s not for everybody, maybe i’ve just gone troppo

OFFDECK
    Participant

Hallin will be working in India, Helix Express is out here 3 XLS systems onboard and I have heard that Olympic Canyon is now going to do the job that the Rem Ettive was going to do with Relaince.
    We are also out here with the Technip Constructor. All in all a load of work going on in India !

liddelljohn
    Participant

Enfield India export 350 and 500cc Bullets all over the world now , loads of dealer in UK’

seadogg
    Participant

re: indian visas’s

i heard that an Indian work visa can now only be issued by the indian embassy or consulate in your home country.

This is obviously going to create problems ( for the companies and workers both) for those who may reside in countries such as pourtugal, dubai, thailand, singapore etc (and are not nationals of those countries or holding employment passes for those counries)

Does anybody know if this is correct and if there is any way around it. i spose you could courier your passport back to your home country but this is fraut with danger if you are only on a tourist chop in the country you are living or holidaying in (like what happens if it gets held up and your tourist visa expires while its away?)

i spose this is why some guys have 2 passports but a second passport isn’t cheap for most countries and i don’t know if all countries allow this

any suggestions anyone ?????????????/

sedco
    Participant

any suggestions anyone ?????????????/

Don’t go there.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Hallin Marine are working down there for the next seven or eight months for Allseas on the same or similar parts of the same project as Fugro.

From what I can gather there are at least two of the Allseas lay barges down there at the moment along with the Highland Fortress and the Highland Rover each with two ROV systems which are crewed up with ten man teams for Hallin.

As for flight times I think it really depends on where you are crew changing. as to how long it takes to get there. I am basically travelling for about 24 hours to get down there but that is three flights.

Hallin are also always on the look out for experienced guys give them a call day rates are in line with most companies if not better and they are a decent enough crowd to work for.

theentity
    Participant

hi guys
    I have been offered a job in India.Does anyone know about the tax liabiities there?I have heard that we wud have to pay tax if we work there for more than 90 days a year and its suposed to b a whopping 35 percent or so?the guys who have worked in India any ideas?

AntonZ
    Participant

Yes plenty of work in Luvly India
    Never been taxed so thats a new rumour

Im with Fugro Singapore working out of India on the Far Scout with the new FCV 3000 system as Superintendent

Been looked after well by the company same with the crew we cant complain
    I know they are looking for good people

So if one is smart about it get in before the stamped
    Because these new FCV 3000 systems going to change work in the deep
    Trust me on that you want a reliable no nosence system thats great in the deep and easy to work on this is it boys

First in first served good luck
    Later Tich

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar