Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Industry starting points after Accreditation ???

Industry starting points after Accreditation ???

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Industry starting points after Accreditation ???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Robertson
    Participant

hello everyone,
    my name is Daniel from Australia and im new to this forum. as most of the discussions i have read are quite old now i thought it maybe an idea to get some new information. im currently qualifying on my ROV Pilot tech 2 course ICMA and once finished im obviously going to need to look hard and heavy for employment opportunities. im currently working for a Mining company doing Communications as my qualification background is Systems Engineering.
    im asking for advice on areas other then mining / oil and gas that ROVs are used for…. industries i can contact for information and possibly a stepping stone. Work experience is a possibility or even supply jsut to get my name out there.. so far i have been googling for months 🙂 Perth is limited which is why i think i might be looking in the wrong places.

any information is appreciated 🙂

Dan

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Nuclear power generation
    Biological and geological marine research,
    Desalination plants,
    Reservoirs,
    Canals,
    Harbour maintenance,
    Ships hull inspection
    Underwater logging

Ray Shields
    Participant

And has been mentioned before, no matter what your training school tells you you are not IMCA accredited, certified or any such thing.

A training school may teach people using the guidelines written by IMCA, but that does not make them certified etc. as IMCA have stated time and again they do not do that.

PT2 is a good starting point, what you are looking for now is a Trainee position, "or even supply jsut to get my name out there" suggests you would work for free, you will do yourself no favours within the industry or on here if you think that, its worse than scab labour.

James has listed other industries which use ROVs but they are much, much smaller than the Oil & Gas industry. You would need to consider re-locating elsewhere in the world if you wish to apply for trainee positions elsewhere in the world.

Once you have the qualifications, technical experience and even a training course under your belt, it is a long hard slog to get into the industry which unfortunately sometimes ends up being the right time in the right place to get into it.

At least you are more fortunate than most who thought just going to a training school they would walk into a job. No technical experience, very, very slim chance of getting into the industry.

Che
    Participant

dont forget telecomms.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Good point….

Telecommunications (Subsea Cable lay and PLIB)
    Offshore Power (as in alternative energy farms).

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Don’t forget a big one…..security, customs, harbour defence…many military contractors are increasingly offering ROV services in this area of expertise.

One other one Environmental Services and HAZMAT clean up for marine areas.

Good Luck

luckyjim37
    Participant

Ray touched upon the scientific research area of the industry. This is one of the untapped areas by mainstream ROV guys. The ROV’s are rapidly increasing in size and capability. There are now a couple of Schilling vehicles used by the German scientists, The Irish have a Quasar not to mention ISIS in the UK which is pretty much the same as one at the Woodshole institute in America.

There is a large French ROV although its name escapes me.

The Spanish marine research community has flirted with the idea of getting a Quasar or equally sized vehicle (on hold due to the current economic climate) so it seems that deep water ROV reasearch being carried out with work class ROV’s is the way that part of the industry is going.

Des_b
    Participant

French ROV?….’ La Baguette’….. 😀 😀 😀

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Dan,

I’ve only worked offshore near Perth a couple of times, but another great way to use an ROV is to inspect water tanks/reservoirs. I’m not sure what Perth and the surrounding area uses for water storage but if they are using tanks, then they’ll probably have them inspected regularly.

Broadcast film is another great industry to get into. I’ve worked on 3 different Television shows in the last year and a half.

Chief

Mark McGirr
    Participant

Slowly becoming my pet hate!
    As Ray stated, there is no such thing as a school that can truly give you a PTII grade status, it’s nonsense. You will be a trainee, and not accredited by anyone, other that the school.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Nice one Des,

The Victor 6000 was the one I was thinking of.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar