Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Inquiring minds want to know….

Inquiring minds want to know….

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Inquiring minds want to know….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Karen Cooley
    Participant

I’m doing research on the systems that are REALLY out in the market and where they are. Any insight or interest from the guys out there actually piloting and working these shifts what systems they pilot, where they are in the world and what platform/vessel?

mustafa bigen
    Participant

Sounds like a trainee trying to doctor a C.V. to me.

Karen Cooley
    Participant

actually someone researching the market for studies and also to inform the young future ROV pilots of an awesome industry. I’ve been in the O&G industry for 22 yrs and we have a gap in our industry of experienced personnel. I’ve been in the fabrication, marine installation, vessel and ROV side and the ROV side is the most interesting to date in my career. No one really knows how many systems are really out there (only the "biggest fish" stories from each company of course) You guys out there are the only ones who really know so I’m asking for your help. Don’t need a sales person to tell me cause I probably won’t get the truth. :o)

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I have to confess it does look like that at the outset. People posting what system and what job they are are on, where and when would give just the right information to add to a CV lacking in such information. Still nobody would do that would they??

So on the basis of total honesty here……

I’m doing research on the systems that are REALLY out in the market and where they are. Any insight or interest from the guys out there actually piloting and working these shifts what systems they pilot, where they are in the world and what platform/vessel?

I appreciate that you may well be carrying out genuine research but there are literally 1000’s of ROV ‘systems’ out there.. anything from Micro ROV’s surveying water tanks and dams inland… to offshore work class vehicles carrying out construction support work to Cable trenching ROV’s burying cable in 1000m of water. Not to mention ROV’s being used in research roles. There is no central register for ROV systems either. The best way you might gauge systems offshore is to contact ROV operator companies and ask them how many systems they have. Even then sometimes they may all be laid up.. or all offshore.

In this forum there may appear to be a vast number of members but a small % of those actually post. We’ve seen this kind of request on here before and the response has been low at best.

You may get better results researching elsewhere on-line.

and also to inform the young future ROV pilots of an awesome industry

The industry is awesome in more ways than you might perceive, but it’s also complicated (in the way it functions) and I would suggest that another influx of young pilots into the game, which in my opinion is currently in a state of over-subscription on the trainee pilot front due to ROV schools pumping them out like no-mans business, might not be the wisest move.

We need trained and experienced Mech/Elec people with a few years time served on the job and in life. These are ideal candidates to train up for ROV. We do not need kids straight out of uni. The idea of kids coming out of uni and taking an ROV course and heading offshore is wrong.

Companies do not keep ROV employees on when times are quiet so the numbers of those employed by any one company at any one time is constantly changing too.
    Like a number of modern industries few companies are prepared to invest in young people coming into the industry by way of apprenticeships. Many want people with experience but are not prepared to help those that do not have experience up onto the first rung of the ladder.

Apologies that I went off topic a little, but I picked up on you suggesting (in the same posts) your idea of telling kids that this is an awesome business to get into. There are a number of young people out there, that have been relieved of cash over the last couple of years (by ROV training schools) who will never see a working ROV system in the flesh again.

Karen Cooley
    Participant

Thanks jamesmc for the feedback. I know there are literally thousands of systems out there. I guess I should have been more specific. I am more interested in light and work class systems for the O&G industry. I am also aware that there are a lot of "trainees" being pumped out of the ROV schools and I don’t think this is the answer either. What I am trying to accomplish is one collect information for my research to better understand what’s out there and where and also to present to the future techs the need of their talents and to introduce our young people to the O&G industry, what it’s about and get their interest in the market. I think there’s a lot of talent out there, they are just not informed of our industry and our needs. It’s amazing how many people never think about where they get their fuel and what our industry actually supports in their everyday lives.
    I believe there should be extensive training and at minimum have the basic knowledge of electrical, hydraulics and mechanics and not just a warm body. there are competency tests that can weed out the ones that unfortunately may have the interest, but just don’t have it. I will continue to research and appreciate you chiming in.
    anyway…I can talk on this all day! :o)
    Appreciate the information.

ANCHORMAN
    Participant

I am all for advising young ones but please. Make them aware it’s not just about skill set. You have to be of a certain (how can I say) Caliber. It’s like the Army. Lots of boys and girls want to join but sometimes you just have to tell them they are not cut out for that line of work. I like what you are doing but I hope you tread carefully. I am sure you are professional and will make them aware it’s not just a job but a way of life. 😀

R2D2
    Participant

A few weeks ago I stumbled across an article which appeared to be the result of a thorough investigation of the ROV market and anticipation of its growth in many application.

The study had been conducted during the heady days when work was abundant and explorers/developers couldn’t find enough systems.

I initially scoffed at it as sadly, the Global Economic Crunch (Australia excluded) put a wobbly ricocheted into that theory.

I tried to find it again …. this is about as close as I could come to it.

http://www.dw-1.com/files/files/478-A4_ROV_report%202010.pdf

http://www.energy-market-research.info/research/EMAAACBZ-The-World-ROV-Market-Report-2010-2014—-Douglas-Westwood.shtml

http://www.asdreports.com/data/VG0112-sample

Ray Shields
    Participant

I like the "from £2700" price to buy the report! Give it a few weeks and there will be a copy to download along with Avatar and Alice in Wonderland 😀

Karen Cooley
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the input. I totally agree with it being a way of life. I have dealt with people who are new in the industry and unaware of our culture. It takes skills and dedication and a passion to stay in it and be successful not only for the individual but for the company you work for as well as your clients. There are too many people out there that don’t realize that the guys out in the field are the ones ultimately making a successful company that they work for (for those who are dedicated and passionate about their job and take pride in their output) and a successful project on the client side. We are the "subcontractor" but ROVs in our industry of deepwater exploration and production are what actually makes it all happen. we can design and build anything, but without our pilots and reliable equipment, none of it would be possible.
    Thanks to all of you out there working hard and being proud of what you do to make it happen!
    If anyone has any futher findings or ideas on how to collect from the industry and those out there, please let me know! I can’t do it without all of you in this forum and out.

boroman
    Participant

after reading your first statement and last i think your full of the proverbial shite.

boroman
    Participant

jmes

in your honest oppinion what right do you have in stating that the rov industry needs elec / mech people, when in reallity are you not just a diver ?

Robert Branch
    Participant

Boro there are alot of exdivers in the ROV industry.Some of the ones I have come across have some kind of mechanical or electrical background.
    So just because someone is an ex diver doesnt mean they dont have any technical background..Oh and you do in fact need some kind of tech background to get into the ROV industry.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

jmes

in your honest oppinion what right do you have in stating that the rov industry needs elec / mech people, when in reallity are you not just a diver ?

Assuming that you are referring to me.. as in ‘James’

I generally do not wind up over easily, nor often feel the need to explain myself on my website, however I am prepared to make an exception just for you.

At the start of my career I served a 2 year apprenticeship in the Royal Engineers as a Plant Operator Mechanic. During that two apprenticeship we were taught, from the ground up, on theory of the operation of static and mobile plant equipment plus practical applications/repair/maintenance of SI/CI engines, Power-shift transmissions, Manual boxes, and hydraulics systems. Workshop processes and materials were also part of the two year deal. I also happen to hold City & Guilds and an EngTech cert.

I do have an HSE Pt II sat divers cert, which sounds about right as I was an offshore diver for 10 years, along with that I was a CSWIP 3.2u inspection qualified and a diver medic. Prior to that, along with my my ‘Technical’ military trade’, I was a diver in the Royal Engineers.

In my honest opinion??
    As (in your own words) ‘just a diver‘, based on my background I feel I have the god given right to tell you to wind your f-in neck in!

If you wish to discuss this further I would be more than pleased to have a wee chat on the back deck.. or failing that, feel free to email or send PM to me so that we might come to an amicable agreement on your less than well chosen words. Hey! even better give me your phone number and I will call you (at my expense) and have a wee chat via that medium.

A few wise words…… Don’t burn bridges!

Robert Black
    Participant

James, you can’t hear it, but I’m giving you a polite golf clap right now.

brian mcritchie
    Participant

James,

Well said. !

Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar