Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Interviews

Interviews

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Interviews

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JOCKY
    Participant

Hi

Im a forces lever and currently got my fist interview for a job in the Rov industry. Been out of touch for interview techniques for a wee while,anybody with any usefull advice on what to bring to help aid matters ie career history reports,etc,.

I have researched the company fully on what equipment they provide also what different aspects of roles they provide in the oil industry.

Any response on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Jocky

😀 😀

CptMorgans
    Participant

Hi Jocky,

First off I’d like to say thanks to all who contribute to this Forum. Although this is my first post here I have found it an excellent resource over the last few months so cheers!

With regards to your interview Jocky most companies nowadays will give a list of requirements when calling you for the interview. Standard items can include; CV, passport sized photo and photocopies of your training and quals certificates. Regardless of how detailed the email or letter calling you for an interview is I always phone up to confirm the time, date and place. Then I can ask for other info, especially what the format of the interview will be. For example if they say it will be a technical interview, ask as to what level or area it will be aimed at. The more you know before hand, the better you can be prepared.

On that note you mention you have an interview coming up. It doesn’t happen to be next week in Aberdeen for Subsea 7 per chance? The reason I ask is because I myself will be attending an assessment afternoon on Monday. This comprises personal and technical interviews and a psychometric test. I couldn’t get any more details on the technical element though. I believe they are holding morning and afternoon sessions all through the week for the RE-TRAIN scheme.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

argh-o-vee
    Participant

How many people are Subsea7 actually taking on just now??!! 😯 I know a few lads who have been up to Aberdeen recently for interview with them.

CptMorgans, is your interview for the i-Tech division of SS7? I think the psychometric tests etc. are just for people who have no ROV experience….not that they have anything to do with ROV’s mind. You will also be given a presentation on the company so I believe.

Anyway, good luck for the interviews boys, let us know how they go.

Mike Kidd
    Participant

You need to know your Health and safety stuff, how you would do a risk assesment, so when talking about previous work tell them the safety culture you worked in. Safety is a big thing offshore at the moment, some people have been threatened with running off for not using the trailing hand technique when descending stairs, the end of 2006 was a bad time in the north sea for accidents, so make sure you understand H&S, it wont get you the job but will give you an edge
    Best of luck
    (as long as your not ex RAF) 😆

CptMorgans
    Participant

argh-o-vee, it is for the i-tech division. It has all been rather quick actually, sent a letter and CV to them last week, had a phone call this Monday asking if I could attend next Monday, now that’s service for you!! And they are paying for my expenses, thats a first for me with regards to interviews.

Question.. Any suggestions on what the technical element may hold at the interview i.e. typical / level of questions?

Dont want to waste the weekend refreshing knowledge that I aint gonna be asked on when there is beer to be drunk! 😉

truered
    Participant

a lot of companies now are looking for the technical know how and will grill on your said background, Hydraulics or electrical etc… be prepared to brush up. How tricky the questions are depends on whjo’s interviewing i guess

other things to watch for, emphasise that you enjoy being practical with things and that your are very hands ons. don’t waffle on about a stamp collection,

be confident and and expand on interview questions

If the companies any good then HSE training will be given, but general knowledge and understanding of what things are will be enough for starters

being ex forces another point to emphasise is that working odd rotations long or short is something you would be flexible on (until you get couple years experience)

this could be a good one for FAQ’s section

Steve
    Participant

Yous should really decide if this is what you want a

argh-o-vee
    Participant

CptMorgans, I believe the level of technical questions will just be going through basic electronic and hydraulic diagrams ie. what is that, what does that do. etc. maybe differences between solenoid and servo V/V’s. I would brush up on the standard circuit symbols as well.

I believe the trainees are getting taken on just on a day rate, you dont get salaried until your made up to P/T, then you get all the benefits etc.

But as MechTech says, you are just a day rater and when the work dry’s up your gone! So you could find yourself still a trainee AND unemployed!

Dont worry about the expenses….this is the oil & gas industry, money is no objective!!

Good Luck.

JOCKY
    Participant

Hi all

Thanks for the information regarding interviews especially Cpt Morgans cheers. I have an interview with tsmarine this friday and all the information gathered will help me brush up on my old electrical knowledge.
    I was wondering if any ex-forces brought previous assesments to the interview aswell.

Fingers crossed for all the lad with up and coming interviews

Good Luck

Jocky 🙂

Flymatt022
    Participant

Jocky

Yes, I did take my last two years assessments to the interview in place of a reference. The guy interviewing me for ss7 was an ex-RAF shinny so he knew what he was looking at. I got the job offer this morning :o, but I’ve already said ok to Fugro.

Obviously if you’ve got strait 2’s for everything and comments like ‘this guy’s a total waste of oxygen’ then leave them at home. 😀

The questions were dead simple, as long as you’ve got some idea how to read the pretty little pictures, and how to start to fault find. (Everyone here should be OK with the latter)

Good luck, and relax.

Matt.

CptMorgans
    Participant

Quick update, Interview went well and as expected.

Spot on with the Technical side guys.

With regards to the position offered it is contract work for 9 – 12 months whilst you gain experience. At that point, as long as you have gained the required competencies, you are offered a salaried position with the company benefits.

The good news is that I have been offered a position and have accepted!

I appreciate what has been mentioned regarding future employment trends and the possibility of being paid off however this is common in most industries today. That’s why I am in this situation now and if I happen to face it again in 9 months time I will know what I’m doing!!

Regarding the quality of new recruits I can’t comment, as for myself I have been an Electronic Engineer for over 14 years now working on a variety of equipment and projects. I certainly hope I am not an ‘Idiot who doesn’t have a scooby’, I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough!

Thanks for all the advice guys and good luck for Friday Jocky. Now I know I am employed again I’m off out to get pissed and start spending some of my redundancy money.

Chrisj
    Participant

Hi all

Thanks for the information regarding interviews especially Cpt Morgans cheers. I have an interview with tsmarine this friday and all the information gathered will help me brush up on my old electrical knowledge.
    I was wondering if any ex-forces brought previous assesments to the interview aswell.

Fingers crossed for all the lad with up and coming interviews

Good Luck

Jocky 🙂

Hi Jocky

I had my interview with TSmarine last week as i was going offshore the following day. Im not sure if it was because it was quickly arranged or not but i didnt have to bring anything with me for the interview.

Good luck with it anyway!

Chris

JOCKY
    Participant

Hi

Just a thank you for all the really usefull information i recieved.

I have been offered a job with tsmarine and the start date looking around april/may.

Cheers lads

😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar