Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion IS IT QUIET NOW???

IS IT QUIET NOW???

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion IS IT QUIET NOW???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    me
    Participant

Guys
    Is it very quiet now (i think it is) what do you think ❓ ❓

Mark
    Participant

yep it certainly is

K2
    Participant

Might not be as busy as last year with the economy and the usual seasonal slow-down but there’s work out there. I turned down three jobs 10 days ago (low day rate, poor location etc) and eventually accepted the fourth. It’s nice to have a few months off now and again if you can get it 😀 I usually aim for 185 – 220 days a year and am on target so far. Last year was busy with 240 days but I have a life too 😆

Trouble is some people live hand-to-mouth and panic when they can’t get a job straight away. I’ve seen guys offshore on their laptops looking at cars, houses, electrical stuff, spending before they’ve even been paid! The solution here is either to be staff with a regular income or have a nice stash of ‘ready’ cash for quiet times. The amount of cash is up to the individual but I have enough to cover several months although it never comes to using it, it does give me confidence to wait out those less attractive jobs and wait for something more appealing 🙂 Another option is to have another source of income when on leave. I favour the stock market but there’s hundreds of jobs out there if things get desperate.

Stary Safe

😉

JL Schnabel
    Participant

Yes, it has gone damn quiet ❗

I wonder what the reason is this time : yes, we all remember the crash last year; but now?

Can’t be the price of oil again…
    😆

Toni Morgan
    Participant

I’ve been pulling my hair out in frustration, there’s nothing out there at the moment. My name’s down to work christmas and new year so lets hope someone want’s to have that period off.
    Anyone??

Ray Shields
    Participant

There are loads of PTs who are down on their days on salary in the different companies so there will be no shortage of them for Christmas/New Year.

Supervisors are still in demand.

Toon
    Participant

I must be honest… I thought you guys were taking the piss to try to lure new guys like myself into a posting frenzy for a laugh….

Seems like it’s worse than I thought it was… not that reasuring trying to break into the industry to say the least….

I’ve been keeping my finger on the pulse of the industry for awhile now so I can’t help thinking (maybe I’m just trying to make myself feel better), that the industry is on an upswing. I would like to believe that the whole economic thingy (Hyball) is behind us and that commerce has actually moved on and we are now in a delayed sort of vaccum still seeing the dark side of the whole equation. Oil prices will go up… economy’s will heal… oil & gas exploration/exploitation will carry on as usual…. for the next 10 years or so… then everyone has to dismantle everything… and can you immagine the tree huggers attitude to oil & gas in 10 years time…!

Am I really that naive to think that things will get better and that I might actually someday get my arse on a crew somewhere in West Africa so that I can actually… finally get into the ROV industry and have a jol, playing around (on both a professional and personal level) on/in the sea…. I really hope not…

I think I need to go see someone soon… peace out

Toon

Adolf
    Participant

It does seem a bit quiet just now compared to the last 6 months I agree, but the bigger companies seem to have some big contracts starting in the new year, a few vessels in transit to far off locations at the moment. 😉

And its only a matter of time before the companies start desperately trying to find bodies to cover Xmas and New Year, as per usual it ll be a last minute flurry of phone calls.
    😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

A lot of solid input in the post below :tup:

……………Trouble is some people live hand-to-mouth and panic when they can’t get a job straight away. I’ve seen guys offshore on their laptops looking at cars, houses, electrical stuff, spending before they’ve even been paid! The solution here is either to be staff with a regular income or have a nice stash of ‘ready’ cash for quiet times. The amount of cash is up to the individual but I have enough to cover several months although it never comes to using it, it does give me confidence to wait out those less attractive jobs and wait for something more appealing 🙂 Another option is to have another source of income when on leave. I favour the stock market but there’s hundreds of jobs out there if things get desperate.

Stary Safe

😉

Myself, and my better half, always have a minimum of GBP£10k cash buffer in the system at any one time. Nobody can pressure you then.
    If you can’t do that then you probably think a new car or a three piece suite is more important than making it through the lean times.

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Myself, and my better half, always have a minimum of GBP£10k cash buffer in the system at any one time. Nobody can pressure you then.
    If you can’t do that then you probably think a new car or a three piece suite is more important than making it through the lean times.

James,

That’s exactly it!
    It took me a while but I keep enough in the bank to keep me for a year nowadays. It’s basically the FY money. To my mind it’s a lot more important to have that cushion than the latest phone, HIFI what have you.
    As regards work, no it’s still busy. I’ve turned 3 down in the last week. The reason – my passports are away getting visas for upcoming jobs in next 3 week or so.

Cheers

Monkey

K2
    Participant

I think the amount in your ‘buffer’ is dependant on your essential outgoings. While £10k might be ok for some others might manage on half while some may need far more. Many financial advisors say a minimum of 3 months salary, I like at least double this but then there’s always main savings when this runs out. i.e. this ‘buffer’ is independant of any other finances. Luckily it’s never come to using either but it’s comforting to know they’re there if needed.

As well as quiet times, which there inevitably will be at some point, it’s nice to turn down jobs with poor day rates which is why I wait things out. Why go out as Sup on £360 when you can get £400+ as tech?! I won’t get started on rates but it is my main reason for turning jobs down – along with locations such as West Africa, North Sea…… prefer sunshine & easiest, cosiest life offshore 😆

Stay Safe

😉

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Totally agree old chap ! 🙂
    Another cup of tea ? 😀

luckyjim37
    Participant

There are plenty of Filipinos to fill the North sea jobs anyway so no need to work there 😆

James McLauchlan
    Participant

……..and once they are trained up with plenty of North Sea experience under their belts there will be plenty of Filipinos to work elsewhere in the world as well, so no need to work there either 🙂

Oops!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Getting real close to the time of retirement methinks…. Once the provebial – "Can you help us out" phone call comes in… Stand the farq by!!! Major consultancy rates!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar