Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner is now a good time to get into ROV?

is now a good time to get into ROV?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner is now a good time to get into ROV?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Woodhall
    Participant

hello guys

Im currently serving in the royal engineers (10yrs) i have 6 months left on my contract then im looking to get offshore. Im an electrical engineer and have a GCSE in electronics. Is now a good time to be getting into the ROV world?

To be honest my arse is twitching a bit because it seems difficult to get into the offshore world and i dont want to be without a job.

Any advice would be greatfully received

Danny

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Danny

With your existing experience you should fit OK and now is about the right time but there is a small problem. There are way too many trainees looking for work at present. Your background and quals may help push you up the list of unemployed trainees a little.

6 months from now puts you into approx. Jan 2009. Are you able to do any pre-release courses before then?
    There are a few other things you’ll need in place too like, Offshore survival, Offshore medical.. non of which the military can provide to a level accepted by the offshore industry.

Send me a PM. One ex – Sapper to another ‘soon to be’ ex-Sapper.

Savante
    Participant

send me your cv – grant.thomson@savante.co.uk

ex-reme (and similiar) is suitable – but keep your twitching arse to yourself !

On a more serious note, if you have re-training budget available go and get yourself set up with BOSIET-HUET.

Daniel Woodhall
    Participant

cheers Savante

having my CV done very soon, as soon as its done i will get a copy across to you

Thanks Danny

Anonymous

" Is now a good time to get into ROV,s " what kind of a question is that.
    If you are that keen havent you done your research……The answer is no it is not a good time for people that dont have any common sense or get up and go to get into the industry.There is enough of those already…

James McLauchlan
    Participant

" Is now a good time to get into ROV,s " what kind of a question is that.
    If you are that keen havent you done your research……The answer is no it is not a good time for people that dont have any common sense or get up and go to get into the industry.There is enough of those already…

Actually the guy has done his research. He was in direct contact via PM and has already set up or is setting up Offshore survival, medical, ROV course, given that the military will pay 80% of the cost and travel then that has to be a no brainier on value for money or not.

I do agree with this statement.

……… it is not a good time for people that dont have any common sense or get up and go to get into the industry.There is enough of those already…

In my experience that most ex-military guys do have ‘get up and go’ as you put it.

damo
    Participant

Hi guys
    As a newbie to the site I have search the FAQ for some answers

I understand that my 18 years as Service Tech in the UK would be a very usefull skill set in the ROV biz. (elect + mech ) That much I learnred from FAQ
    Having also spent many years as a PADI dive instructor I am very aware of the rip of schemes involved in Trainning organsations.
    My question,s are
    Asia Pacific Are there any good value places to get trainning for Survial and safety course. Around Singapore or Thailand

ROV course in Singapore with cynergetix. has any 1 out there taken this course please advise

All real advice welcome

I have worked with a few x engineers in Bfast always being top notch so good luck mate

Cheers Lads
    Damo
    :

ROVRatt
    Participant

Hi Damo

You can do an OPITO approved safety, survival and HUET course in Johor Malaysia at the Maritime Safety Training School (MSTS). Just across the causeway from Singapore.

damo
    Participant

HIRov Ratt
    Thanks for the post I have sent a Email awaiting a reply.
    sorry 1 Question will OPITO approved safety, survival and HUET course course allow me to work in for example north sea or Norway ie cold water enviroment . Is there a diffrence between tropical course and ball frezz course
    Cheers
    Damo

James McLauchlan
    Participant

HIRov Ratt
    Thanks for the post I have sent a Email awaiting a reply.
    sorry 1 Question will OPITO approved safety, survival and HUET course course allow me to work in for example north sea or Norway ie cold water enviroment . Is there a diffrence between tropical course and ball frezz course
    Cheers
    Damo

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference in ticket validity as long as the course you attend is OPITO approved. To all intents and purposes it is valid worldwide.

You may come across some countries that require you to attend one of their ‘special’ offshore survival courses, before working in their neck of the woods, but more often than not that is purely a local money generating exercise and generally companies will pick up the tab for it.

Anonymous

Hi
    There is a tropical and a North Sea course in Johor B
    Some of the people i know can only use it in Asia, something about not using survival suit, maybe it have changed??

ROVRatt
    Participant

The OPITO course I did in Johor, Malaysia in 2006 is valid for work worldwide excepting for Norway. For Norway validity you require two more days which can be done in Johor.

The course, although done in Malaysia, is administered from Aberdeen.

damo
    Participant

Hi James and everyone else
    Thanks for the information guys i dont think my 3mm shorty will help much in Norway .
    Like I said in my reply to RovRatt I have sent a Email to JB still awaiting a reply.
    RovRatt was the course actually held in Gelang Patah at the harbour. ?

Damo

ROVRatt
    Participant

Not sure about Gelang Patah.

It was in the Singapore Strait which forms the harbour and there were many vessels docked nearby.

To get to the training school, which is on a floating platform, you travel through the fuel farm. The fire fighting section is a distance away on land.

gazpacho
    Participant

Hi mate, it is at Pasir Gudang.Johor Malaysia.

Landing Craft Jetty
    Jalan Cargo Merbahaya
    Kawasan Pelabuhan Johor
    8170 Pasir Gudang
    Johor
    T: +607 252 2108
    F: +607 252 2081

E: info@msts-my.org
    W: http://www.msts-my.org

You can even take it in Singapore.

If you want to make a booking please call this no:
    (+60) 6 2922069 / 2922188

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar