Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is there a genuine requirement for ROV pilot techs?

Is there a genuine requirement for ROV pilot techs?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is there a genuine requirement for ROV pilot techs?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    andy
    Participant

I have read posts that imply the ROV companies just can’t get enough guys. There does however appear to be endless amounts of people trying to get into the industry.

Is it that there aren’t that many trainee posts available? Or is it just a shortage of suitable people?

ROVness
    Participant

Like you said it’s the shortage of suitable people, likewise skilled people with a good technical back ground, education. Google on an entry like “shortage skilled oil workers” and you’ll find numerous articles on the subject.

misiuek
    Participant

go to any personnel department and the folders they have of rejected c.v’s is frightening……
    for every job taken 200 have tried (estimated) a couple of years ago there was a lull and companies were not taking that many new starts.

now we have the opposite , but there is a problem because a lot of the contracts stipulate that only ‘experienced’ personnel can be used , which is a catch 22 situation .

to answer there is jobs out there but a company will try and pick the best ‘in their’ opinion as with all factors of life whats on paper and whats reality doesnt always match.

thats why these Rov ‘courses’ do so well they give a false impression that just having this on your c.v is enough it aint!

andy
    Participant

I think that if there are jobs for ROV trainees, I would have a pretty good shout with my background.

There are bound to be companies that don’t invest in any trainees, and just recruit trained personnel. Which are the better companies for trainee jobs?

ROVness
    Participant

All things you have to find out by you’re self by sending out CV and keeping the eyes and ears open for opportunities.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

May the force be with you 😀

ROVness
    Participant

"May the Force serve you well,"but its only you and you alone that decide your fate. 😆

misiuek
    Participant

YES

there is a genuine need for ‘real’ pilots techs somebody who can actually fly would be a great relief, too many come out on jobs and use some poxy excuse not to go on the sticks …..

its a title that too many get without the proper qualifications , what happened to 100hrs 6months in the industry

now its 1 trip and hey this is fuckin easy…..

followed by…. i deserve more money, i done a trip

that answers your title , pity you followed up with a different question….

oops slight tangent there……… the wonders of lager!!

rovbionic
    Participant

misiuek

true enough….just did a hitch in the GoM…four of us showd up to manup during running the BOP stack…….the other three lads could not run a T4…..thats a first I have seen.

Your right mate…….too many excuses……no one expects you to be flawless…but not even knowing how to flash the master arm up…..whats up with that.

My advise to the new people coming in the industry is learn all disiplines…no question is too stupid.

star
    Participant

hey believe me there are people out there that ask that one stupid question.. I got asked by a trainee.. is that the rov on the deck? pointing to the erm ROV 😯 🙄 😳 😆 😕 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar