Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is this course valid?

Is this course valid?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is this course valid?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Callum Noble
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been considering a career in the R.O.V industry for some time now. I’m aware that most job descriptions ask for a qualification in either Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical/Hydraulic Engineering. I have been offered a place on an Engineering Systems HND which seems to combine elements of both disciplines but allows the student to focus their study in a chosen area.

What I’d like to know is would the HND in Engineering Systems satisfy the educational requirements for a trainee post?

John Bridgett
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been considering a career in the R.O.V industry for some time now. I’m aware that most job descriptions ask for a qualification in either Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical/Hydraulic Engineering. I have been offered a place on an Engineering Systems HND which seems to combine elements of both disciplines but allows the student to focus their study in a chosen area.

What I’d like to know is would the HND in Engineering Systems satisfy the educational requirements for a trainee post?

It may well do but then you have the problem of experience. Would you for example be happy to read up and do the theory for free fall parachuting, once youve answered all of the questions and passed the exams go and jump out of an aeroplane?

The way I see it is there are a lot of people chasing a few openings, many ex military people having the required qualifications AND experience. That said in my group of trainees recently employed there was a fisherman and a motorsport mechanic with little in the way of formal qualifications.

J

Callum Noble
    Participant

I appreciate I’ll be bringing little in the way of experience to the table and that there are far more applicants than positions. However I feel that without some of the basic qualifications, and opportunities to gain experience will be few and far between.

You raise an interesting point with regard to people with little in the way of typical qualifications. Is it a case of having the basic skills that allow you to be trained as opposed to the bit of paper that says your qualified for the role?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Unfortunately when these people are employed it is more a case of a mate of a mate or right place at the right time.

I would say HND level is a good qualification education level. Degrees etc I feel are not suitable, we do not need people who can design equipment, we need people who can fix and maintain it.

Callum Noble
    Participant

I definitely want to do a course of some description. Makes a lot of sense employability wise in other fields if the ROV sector proves too difficult to get into.

I’m just hoping that an HND in Engineering Systems would satisfy their educational requirements when they specify an HNC/HND in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical/Hydraulic Engineering or a related discipline. Hoping it comes under the related discipline.

Thanks for all of your help.

Ray Shields
    Participant

As long as the qualification teaches you PRACTICAL technical experience, companies do not need people to design systems, they want people who can solder, use a spanner, fault find etc. Hence not Degrees (iMHO)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar