Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Languages related to ROV industry

Languages related to ROV industry

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Languages related to ROV industry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Spark33
    Participant

Hi guys straight to the point,
    1. im keen on learning a new language & thought its probably best off to learn something to boost my ROV career prospects. I was thinking along the lines of Arabic, Russian, Norwegian. not sure which to choose or whether it’s a waste of time. (im Australian)

2. while im here I may as well as something that’s bugging me, ahhh do you guys actually have stable relationships? as work is all over the shop I take it moving around so often & being away for up to 6 weeks at a time can really take its toll on yourself, girlfriend, the mrs &/or kids….,mistress. would love to know your thoughts.

thanks

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

1. Try Tagalog, most used language in marine industry

2. Not me, I am not a stable person.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Learning a new language is never a waste of time but how useful a second language would be on the ROV front is debatable. As the International language of the seas, most operations use English . Unless you target one particular country for work, like Norway, then what ever you do learn will be of little use on the work front.

Many of us do have stable relationships but the type of partner you hook up with (or are already hooked up with) needs to be fully aware of what you do and the types of trips that can be common place. If you and your partner are used to being home together just about every day then this type of work can take it’s toll on the relationship front for sure. Says he, on his second marriage!

thinsub
    Participant

1. Austrailian, Learn English

2. Thought Stables were for horses, emm.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Spark33, I am not trying to be rude or malicious, but check the English you have used in your post.

You may need to write a report in the ROV industry and this will reflect upon you. Try some capitalisation of the "I" when referring to yourself. Capitalisation is also required when referring to nationalities like Norwegian. The only way to use English grammar and spelling correctly is to ensure that you use it correctly every time. Unfortunately email and text messages have made us lazy and this is reflected in the atrociously written English used today.

I speak three languages but have only ever had to use English offshore.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

ROVratt has a point.

This is not aimed directly at the OP but worth noting.

Having the ability to speak a second language may be useful but the priority should be to ensure (not insure- that’s for cars) that your first language written/spelling skills are in good order.

As suggested being able to write English correctly may prove useful for report writing.

Ray Shields
    Participant

1. Austrailian, Learn English

2. Thought Stables were for horses, emm.

Thinsub,

learn to spell Australian :L :L :L

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Pointing out the error of someone’s ways by inadvertently adding an error yourself has to be a bit 😳

One of the reasons I use FireFox as a browser plus the English (UK – the only way to write English) spell checker add-on, which (when used in Forums and other on-line forms) underlines errors in red as I go 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar