Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Laser surveying underwater

Laser surveying underwater

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Laser surveying underwater

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

This is one carried over from the old forum

If you are interested in short-range (1m) auto position keeping next to a visible structure, then contact grant@savante.co.uk, we’re just about ready to trial an optical position keeping system. Its based on five laser beams which project on your object.

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Anyone here got experience in using lasers for underwater profiling and surveying?

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Not me… but here is a link that may give you some info.

http://www.laser-ndt.com/profilometryunder.html

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

I used to sell a Laser Line scan unit that was ment to be fixed under a vessel or Towed.

It could see up to a distance of several hundred feet showing the seabed much clearer than a Video or Photgraph.

Unfortunetely the unit was far to expensive at the time.

It was used by the US Navy as well for finding objects underwater that was too turbid water for normal instruments to view.

Dan

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Is it possible to post some pictures online here? They’ll be clean. No laser scanned mermaids. 😈

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Is it possible to post some pictures online here? They’ll be clean. No laser scanned mermaids. 😈
    Savante

If you have the images on a server somewhere then post away.

regards
    James Mc

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Savante /Grant

Your company website doesn’t seem to be active yet.
    Is your product just at development stage? – no takers for offshore trials yet?
    Any product datasheets, brochures, etc available to post on site would be interesting. Failing that, a description plus applications etc. Is it a LIDAR device? What range, scan rate, resolution, real-time images? Size, weight, expected cost?

temp

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Temp,

Web-site is currently being done.

The laser is available now and has been used in conjunction with mechanically scanned sonars on UKCS. It’s depth rated to 4000m, has a 90degree swath and is around the same size as a Tritech Typhoon camera. We align the laser swath with the sonar swath so the two are overlaid.

In this way, the laser allows the ROV pilot to pan, tilt and zoom his camera over the laser line and get a better idea of what the sonar scan is showing. 💡 It will seriously reduce operator-stress on long term flights.

If anyone is interested, email grant@savante.co.uk and I’ll send you a specification sheet.

We have a second system, employing lasers for profiling that is capable of scanning over 40,000 points a second using LIDAR. We’re past development stage as we have a working system ready for mobbing and full trials. It is sub-mm resolution capable at ranges of 3-5m. It’s slightly negatively buoyant.

➡ Cost is ***considerably*** less than a multibeam sonar.
    ➡ Speed is around double that of multibeam.
    ➡ Resolution is step change above multibeam sonar.

I am looking for problem applications that cannot achieved acoustically. ❗

Key features of laser profiler ;

➡ detects targets that are poor acoustic reflectors
    ➡ Immune to acoustic noise
    ➡ sub-mm resolution
    ➡ picks up sub mm monofilament fishing nets

So far we don’t know if there are applications that require imaging in real-time, but we can do it.

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Savante

Thanks for info

temp

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Ok folks, take a look at the following images from our laser scanner system. I’ve compressed them like hell to get them to load on the web-site quickly.

If you want better copies, email me at grant.thomson@savante.co.uk. If anyone has projects or tasks that would need this sort of performance can you send ideas into grant.thomson@savante.co.uk cos we’re looking for work.

We’ve deployed in the North Sea now and have a couple of hundred meters of pipeline footage at mm resolution which seems to impress. I’m awaiting approval from the client to see if we can publish the data.

Pipe Scanning
    —————-

We threw as much stuff onto the ground as possible. Torpedo propellors, pipes, chains, wires.

http://www.savante.co.uk/pipes.bmp

Chain Scanning
    ——————-

This may eventually become something of a requirement in the industry.

http://www.savante.co.uk/chains_mag4.bmp

Bike wheels
    ————–

Just an Aberdeenshire school tradition of throwing bike wheels into ponds/lochs. 👿 Note the tyre tread (tyre had to be deflated to get it underwater, so the tread is off the rim in places)

http://www.savante.co.uk/bikewheeloutput.bmp

Picking up an M1.5 nut and bolt
    ————————————

We’re rather chuffed that you can resolve the bolt from the nut. Just keep zooming in! 😯

http://www.savante.co.uk/dual_ubeam2.bmp

Oh yeah, the high-res pictures for comparison.

http://www.savante.co.uk/ubeam.bmp

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Here’s more bits of pipe that we’ve belted hell into and chucked into our test tank.

and the corresponding models (please note, we’ve accentuated the profile so that things appear to stick out more than they actually do.) Makes no difference to the metrology underneath.

and if anyone has a HUGIN kicking around.!!!

Monofilament Fishing Nets. 0.3mm thick
    ———————————————-

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Javadog,

Sitting in the Auk reck room at the moment and can’t log into my savante account – so email me at grant.thomson@savante.co.uk and I’ll buzz you out some schematics. I can’t get online to post images to my web-site at the moment, so can’t put up hyperlinks yet.

We’ve decided upon two systems at the moment – one is for ROV-profiling operations and close range optical avoidance.

The second system is a very much miniaturised unit – should be finished at the end of next week when I get back (49knot winds at the moment – not very likely to get off today!)

This is akin to a diver held tool and considerably smaller and will fit into a briefcase. This is good for looking at objects of the order of 60cm x 60cm x 60cm.

Anyway, I’ll keep posting pictures when I get back to the office.

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Skinny, can you take a look at the laser surveying underwater section of this forum, pass it on to people you think relevant – it’s a laser scanner for investigating damage, etc – we’re presently using it for computing pipeline ovalities etc. I’ve slung a heap of 3D images on that forum and some of it may be relevant to you.

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

OK, I’ve finally managed to get some shore time and a quiet afternoon!!! I have created the mother of all pdf presentations for our Seastripe laser system. 😈

I would reccomend that you right click on the following link and go "save target as" , save the file to your harddisk and then open up using Adobe afterwards.

The file is in pdf format and is around 25Mb. If you are using dial-up, I’d reccomend going for lunch. If you have broadband, then it’s not soo bad!!

http://www.savante.co.uk.pdf

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar