Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Looking for some tips for direction

Looking for some tips for direction

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Looking for some tips for direction

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blake
    Participant

I have done multiple searches on this forum over time and havent really found a direct answer for my situation.

I am currently studying Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronic Engineering) in Western Australia and have 2 more months until I complete my degree. First class honours too. I have worked for a Chevron as an engineer during my degree but feel the design work, despite being oil and gas, wont help me in getting into the ROV industry. I want hands on experience.

I was a technician for 2 years before deciding to do engineering and Mechatronics was chosen because i wanted to work with ROVs.
    Now that me degree is coming to an end I am finding it difficult to find work that is ROV related. I dont want another design job. I could have ecured multiple graduate jobs already but i dont want to waste my time doing something i dont want.

I have thought about doing the ROV course but doesnt look like it has a high review from people on this board. The course for me was not about the material but about finding ways into the industry. The basic material was already taught in my degree in my opinion.

All the application i see online say they require some ROV experience. How do i get this experience ??

So here are my main question.
    Is it best to find a technical job in hydraulics (hydraulics being main limiting factor within my degree) not related to ROVs first. Or should I be persistent with ROV related jobs?
    Should I apply for a work visa in the UK and source out jobs in Aberdeen ? Or stay here in Perth ?

Your input is much appreciated

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Denks

Trying to move away from the experience your CV shows you have is your first hurdle. You’ll likely fire your CV off and get responses offering you work in Design engineering but not ROV.

You just have to keep turning the design engineering offers down and continue firing your CV of at ROV co’s, follow up with email and phone calls and local office visits if they are anywhere near you. Just keep at it. Something will give in the end.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Someone once said – someone with a Degree can tell you the square root of an orange, but they cannot peel it 😀

By that, they mean Degrees tend to teach people about the higher level stuff – design, etc., not getting your hands dirty with tools, hydraulic oil or soldering irons.

If you compared someone who spent 5 years getting an Electronics Degree with someone who had spent 5 years working in a repair shop, fault-finding and changing components, the repair shop worker would have a better chance of getting a job in ROVs.

Because the bottom line is that for an offshore ROV worker, maintenance and repair of the equipment is top of the list.

I would recommend if you are unable to get a start in ROVs, then getting PRACTICAL experience on your CV in related electrical, electronic or hydraulic fields will definitely help your CV when applying for ROV jobs,.

Blake
    Participant

Someone once said – someone with a Degree can tell you the square root of an orange, but they cannot peel it 😀

I came across that quote a couple of times while looking around this forum actually. After going through uni I would say, generally, this is very true. There is not a lot of respect by the technicians for engineers for this fact. Thats why I seek more hands on work rather the design.

Thanks for the input guys. much appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar