Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Offshore Medicals Medical Renewal Timing

Medical Renewal Timing

Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Offshore Medicals Medical Renewal Timing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JoeBolt
    Participant

When you go to renew an Offshore Medical Certificate (UK and Norwegian) is the doctor allowed to ‘carry over’ any unexpired time of your last certificate? Or is the expiry date always 2 years from the date of examination?

For example, if your current certificate expires on 01 Mar 11 and you go along for a medical on 21 Feb 11, is the doctor allowed to write an expiry date of 01 Mar 13 on your new certificate?

Spacer
    Participant

The medical is good for two years. Some companies require one every year.

gr8
    Participant

For example, if your current certificate expires on 01 Mar 11 and you go along for a medical on 21 Feb 11, is the doctor allowed to write an expiry date of 01 Mar 13 on your new certificate?

I don’t think so. Usually they put 2 years from the date of your examinations.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I would agree with gr8’s response.

The cert will be valid 2 years from the date the new medical was taken. Your previous medical expiry date will not be taken into account.

Maybe give your OGUK approved med centre a call and ask them to confirm to save any doubt.

JoeBolt
    Participant

To be safe, I’ve already booked my medical renewal for a date 1 month before my present certificate expiry date, so I’ll find out when I go.

An early renewal is the only way I can see of ensuring that you have a valid certificate for the full duration of a trip offshore. By rights, a company can’t really send you offshore for a 4 week trip, when your medical certificate only has 1 week of validity left.

It just means that your medical renewal date will be forever moving forward by a few weeks, if no time is carried over.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Some clients require contractors to have a valid medical and / or BOSIET certs for 3 to 6 months prior to expiry….

R S
    Participant

I done my medical the other day there and it has been dated from the other day. It wasn’t due to expire until the end of the month. I assume that the medicals are only dated from the day your medical took place then 🙂

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Thanks. That confirms what was suggested earlier.

The cert will be valid 2 years from the date the new medical was taken. Your previous medical expiry date will not be taken into account.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar