Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Meeting Competencies through an agency

Meeting Competencies through an agency

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Meeting Competencies through an agency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Neil Williams
    Participant

Hi there,

Looking for advice. I have just started work through an agency as a trainee ROV pilot. Did a three week trip on small vehicles had a week off and I’m now into my second week of a three week trip on work class. I’ve been lucky as both supervisors are good guys and I’ve managed to get in a few flying hours. I want to know how I can get myself off trainee status through the quickest route as I know I’ll have more chance of a permanent job with a company. The agency I am working with is reputable but haven’t supplied me with a competency book . I know that once it goes quiet that I’ll have little chance of work with ‘trainee’ status. I don’t want to push to hard with agency as I know I’m lucky to get work as a trainee. Would it be appropriate to ask Supervisors for a personal refererence.? Would it help? Any advice?

James
    Participant

W:

If you have internet access you can download from IMCA the competency scheme and order a pilot logbook from them also..

Good Luck

http://www.imca-int.com/documents/core/ct/docs/IMCAC005.pdf

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Which Agency is that then ?

K2
    Participant

Weasle

I wouldn’t bother wasting your money on those competency things. Very few companies use them and those that do are usually for their own staff. I’ve been askd twice for mine over the years, by Gulf Terra and Shell. The first time I was fine but the second my certs had expired and I refused to pay someone to tell me I can do a job I’ve been doing 15 years. Now I just avoid companies that require these certs and believe me, there are plenty.

If I were you I’d take a look at the IMCA guidelines and attempt to structure your learning around them but at the end of the day you know whether you can do the job or not and to what standard.

I know guys offshore who’ve blagged their way into jobs and they’re doing fine even though they create headaches for their supervisors and that is through agencies. It’s so busy now that it’s back to ‘anyone will do’ regardless of qualifications and competency certs.

You sound slike a sensible guy, unlike many we find offshore, so good luck, I’m sure you’ll do well.

K2

Ray Shields
    Participant

Is that like hiring a plumber and then having to pay for him to learn about plumbing so he can fix your tap??

Why would anyone want to hire a TRAINEE? I assume the companies that are paying the Agency for you know you are actually a Trainee? If so, you are very lucky.

Neil Williams
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who bothered to reply. It was appreciated. However, the analogy of paying a plumber and teaching him to fix a tap was insulting. I am a time-served mechanic with 20 years experience and have a HND in electronics. Better qualified than the Supervisor who was a decent guy and was happy to share his experience and knowledge of ROVs with me. Now on my third trip with the same company and hopeful for the future. Thanks again

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Which Agency are you working through ?

Ray Shields
    Participant

However, the analogy of paying a plumber and teaching him to fix a tap was insulting

That is not what I said, read it again. You may be technically qualified but you are NOT an ROV Pilot, i.e. you are not qualified to operate/maintain and ROV on your own.

Would you go to an Agency and hire an unskilled plumber? I think that is a fair analogy. You go to agencies for qualified people, not people who are not rained (no matter how qualified you may be, you are still a Trainee ROV Pilot).

You don’t wish to name the Agency then?

DANFROV
    Keymaster

I know of some companies that encorage their agency guys to go to and MTCS I believe they have some sort of remote learning. (similar to open university.)

http://www.mtcs.info/

DANFROV

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Which Agency are you working through ???????

Neil Williams
    Participant

Thanks for the info Danfrov, I’ll look into that idea.

Ray Shields ……. If I employed a plumber who brought along an experienced pipe fitter I would have no objection as long as the job got done. AND, its not for me to advertise the agency I work through.

Weasle

Andy Shiers
    Participant

That’s very unprofessional !
    The Agencies promote their name on here , Why can’t you ?
    Send me a PM if you wish ?

LukeD
    Participant

I would be interested , Send me a PM and let me know please.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray Shields ……. If I employed a plumber who brought along an experienced pipe fitter I would have no objection as long as the job got done.
    Weasle

If you were to be supplied free by an Agency to go along with an experienced Pilot Tech who was qualified then yes – that would not be a problem.

However – you are getting paid for your expertise and experience to do a job by a company, which you do not have. Hence, why would I as a company be wanting to pay you, a trainee, to come and work on my ROV and learn how to operate it while I pay you?

Paul Bond
    Participant

It’s all getting a bit off track here i think.

If you have managed to get in a few trips through agencies, you now have some ROV experience for your CV and it should be easier to get a foot in the door with a company to try and get the permanent deal you are after.

Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar