Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner MIST course or Greenhand?

MIST course or Greenhand?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner MIST course or Greenhand?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    paolo
    Participant

I am hoping someone could shed some light on my question of whether to book a place on the greenhand course or the mist course?

I am planning on booking my survival course ASAP with the intention of entering the industry at basic entry level. Many people advised me to book the greenhand course as well which i intended to do. However, i spoke with someone over the phone from a training center in Hull who advised me that MIST is now replacing the greenhand course. I don’t want to be left in the position where i am not as qualified as others when applying for work. It has confused me as the survival and greenhand in aberdeen is a 3 day and 5 day course. But in Hull i’m being told that the survival and MIST is done in the same week for approx £300 less!?

Could anyone clarify this for me if possible. Thanks.

rovnumpty
    Participant

MIST course?

Greenhand course?

All you need to get offshore in the European sector is a survival and a medical. Don’t even need that for some of africa.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I’d never heard of MIST or Greenhand courses required for working offshore, nor known anyone with them.

MIST appears to be an ADDITIONAL course offered on top of the standard survival.
    http://www.opito.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=164&Itemid=99

They are aiming for everyone to have completed it by 2010, so probably worthwhile for people to do it now, however I would wait until I actually had a JOB! No point in laying out money for a course in an industry that you may not get a job with and it will count for nothing in any other job!

The MIST scheme allows for companys own in-house safety training to be certified as MIST training, so I wouldn’t bother doing it and just wait till you do your own employers one (cos you nothing then).

Greenhand training appears to be an Offshore Drilling safety initiative.
    http://www.opito.com/library/industry_training_standards/offshore_drilling_industry_green_hand_standard.pdf

It is not a requirement to have in order to work offshore, just a "nice to have". It seems to be combined more with a Banksman/slinger training so is possibly more aimed at rig deck crew and not appropriate for ROV people.

Out of the 2 scheme, I would suggest if you wish to do one, the MIST would be more appropriate as it appears it will possibly be made more of a requirement to have by 2010.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar